Write an event!

Started by Listy, January 29, 2015, 10:18:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b0rsuk

Passing Traders
Like passing travellers, but you can trade with them if you're quick. They have no intention to stop at your colony. This very simple event would put mountain bases, especially in the corner of the map at a disadvantage. They would have much more trouble intercepting the trader.

Passing X
Passing Y
Passing Z

Add more events with a time limit, where turtling a lot puts you at a disadvantage. Infestation is the stick, now we need carrots!

Reviire

New raid type - Assault: Like siege, except much more aggressive. An enemy force sets up camp outside of your base, facing various heavy weapons towards your base. Once they breach rooms and do a certain amount of damage, they will attempt to storm your base.

Weather Event - Moonfall: The map goes dark as various large, white glowing objects fall towards you. For a few moments, the map will be pelted with a "Moonstone" rock. Very beautiful, and casts natural light. So do all products made from it.

Weather Event - Magnetic Vortex: A swirling vortex appears somewhere on the outside, ranging from medium sized to extremely large. Rocks and metal objects fling around this vortex, acting as projectiles. Additionally, random arcs of electricity can damage people caught inside. Damage of flying objects and electricity scales with size.

Event - Crashed Warship/Civilian Ship: Various rooms, or even a complete ship (Not very large) crash lands, heavily damaged. May contain survivors. Hostile or friendly.

Quote from: Gizogin on March 16, 2012, 11:59:01 PM
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

SpaceDorf

Quote from: b0rsuk on August 14, 2016, 09:37:58 AM
Tumbleweed invasion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNVcSIZyBuE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlM_wqXoStE
Arid shrubland only.

Awesome :)
Now thats a pile of bad thoughts for your cleaner ...RELEASE THE GOATS !!
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

b0rsuk

Quote from: SpaceDorf on August 14, 2016, 09:56:24 AM
Quote from: b0rsuk on August 14, 2016, 09:37:58 AM
Tumbleweed invasion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNVcSIZyBuE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlM_wqXoStE
Arid shrubland only.

Awesome :)
Now thats a pile of bad thoughts for your cleaner ...RELEASE THE GOATS !!
Or throw a molotov cocktail, what could possibly go wrong ?

It would be a rare, mostly harmless event, only dangerous if combined with something else. Like shrubland version of snow.

MeowRailroad

Pod Cluster Crash - A section of escape pods has broken off from the wreckage. The people in the pods will be dead or seriously injured.

Lost Travelers - From a tribe or outlander town, either they ask for food/medicine/care/beds for a few nights, then you can call the originating faction to have people come get them or wait till a trade caravan comes. Then they will rejoin their fellow townspeople. Some may join your colony.

Mining/Hunting/Power Line Expedition - A group of outlanders is coming through, building a power line, hunting, or mining. Goodwill increases if you help them by supplying material, supplies, or assistance.

Travelling Circus/Musicians - A group from off the planet is going on a concert tour or circus tour. They will pass through and you can pay them to put on a show for your colonists, which would be about 700 silver and give a great mood boost, depending on the quality of the show, since the performers would range from undiscovered prodigies to groups with no talent to speak of. (You could also attack them and steal their stage equipment)
Quote from: Tynan on December 02, 2016, 05:24:06 PM
This is like being in a remote fishing town in Libera and asking, "Why can't I just pay one of the fishermen $10 to take me back to Los Angeles?"

Mendel

A more "friendly" infestation of insects that trade jelly for other resources.

Special breed of insects start forming nests near/in your base.
They send workers to haul insect jelly into your food stockpile and carry out stone blocks and haul them into their nests. If food stockpile is not available, then they will haul to any stockpile or to any bedroom.
If stone blocks are not available then they will settle for steel, silver gold or plasteel. If that is not available either then they will "accept" human meat, dead or alive.

They are not aggressive at all unless directly assaulted or if they find you dont have any resources to "trade". of course this would eventually get out of hand as more and more nests are formed but at first it could be even helpful... and thats why it is dangerous cause the later you deal with it the harder it will be.

MeowRailroad

Banquet - Like a party, all colonists go to a table and if there aren't enough seats some people will stand, colonists eat meals, beer, chocolate, insect jelly, etc. and talk a lot. Maybe they will play horseshoes, chess, or billiards after the meal, and eventually people go off to be one by one.

Magnetic Field Disruption - Similar to a solar flare, but only shuts off a few devices for a certain time each day during the duration of the event, for example it might "choose" to shut off a tailoring bench between 7h to 10h, a standing lamp from 9h to 21h and a turret from 15h to 22h.

Raiders on the way to combat - Raiders pass through the map without the intention to hurt your colony, presumably to attack an outlander town. If you let them pass you gain slight goodwill with them and have a 50-50 chance of losing goodwill with one of their enemies, to simulate the town either thinking "There was nothing the colony could do. Maybe they were dealign with something else and couldn't risk losing" or "They could have stopped the raiders but didn't. Why didn't they? We lost citizens and property in that fight." May make reinforcements less likely to come if you don't respond.

Crippled mechanoid passing by - A mechanoid passes by that has severe damage. You can capture it and have someone with at least 6 research skill reprogram it to be able to follow someone, be released into battle, rescue people, and haul things. Higher research skill would speed the reprogramming process and the mech would be worked on while downed or unconcious. After it is reprogrammed with as many functions as the player desires, a repair worker would have to replace broken components and some steel to have it operate fully. In short, the researcher changes the code, while the repairer fixes the broken parts. It can be repaired without the reprogramming work, but it will just attack colonists so it isn't worth it.

This isn't really an event, but when those small buildings are opened (not the ones with the cryptosleep caskets) it would be cool if they had some low-value stuff in them, possibly heavily damaged, to remind you that they are left over from other times.

Passing worker
- A(n) [occupation] by the name of [name] is passing by. He is willing to help with any projects you are doing in his/her field if you pay him/her [amount of silver] or (an optional item).
Examples: A construction worker named Ray Johnson is passing by. He is willing to help you with construction or repair if you pay him 326 silver or give him a pump shotgun. A prison warden named Alfred Smith is passing by. He will manage all prisoner interaction except medical for 2 weeks if you provide him with a bed to sleep in, food, and 119 silver or the bed, food, and 75 lumber.
Quote from: Tynan on December 02, 2016, 05:24:06 PM
This is like being in a remote fishing town in Libera and asking, "Why can't I just pay one of the fishermen $10 to take me back to Los Angeles?"

TrashMan

A traveler passes trough, warning you that "the people from The Gators of Goober, an evil cult that enslaves women and terrorizes good and honest folk, will soon be upon you!".

Except it's just a bunch of regular survivors that will trade with you.

SpaceDorf

I would like Trojan Traders.
They come like normal Traders, hang out in your base and
do either :

Pocket some of your stuff at Night. Which Makes your Pawns  attack the Traders if they see it.

Or.
They come with a horde of hard animals ( rhinos, wargs, wolves )  and when you follow the temptation to trade, they attack.

Wex

What about an event similar to "drop pods"? A zone gets pelted with rock chunks, maybe from a distant eruption?
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Wex on August 16, 2016, 09:04:59 PM
What about an event similar to "drop pods"? A zone gets pelted with rock chunks, maybe from a distant eruption?

Are you asking, or suggesting ? *fg*

I like the idea it fits well into the volcanic winter event.
I can't remeber does it snow ash during that event ? If not it should.

chaotix14

Quote from: SpaceDorf on August 16, 2016, 04:46:59 PM
I would like Trojan Traders.
They come like normal Traders, hang out in your base and
do either :

Pocket some of your stuff at Night. Which Makes your Pawns  attack the Traders if they see it.

Or.
They come with a horde of hard animals ( rhinos, wargs, wolves )  and when you follow the temptation to trade, they attack.

Do you want mountainhomes? Because this is how you get mountainhomes.(sorry, couldn't help myself)

Unless in the message you get when they arrive it clearly states that they are from hostile faction X. I'd have to say no to this one. We've finally gotten a reason to open our doors, no reason to make us shut them in paranoia again.

SpaceDorf

Why thank you, I like my mountain home very much :) 

That's why I thought of those. They actually can walk past the insanely and devious trapped corridors and killboxes,
then they attack. it does not matter if you are outside or not.

I had a little help from the Hospitality Mod, where Guests are able to pick up and pay for stuff thats laid out in the guest house. Same applies here for group one, without paying.

And you are right, the message should state from which faction they are, hopefully you pay attention :)
Maybe you even get a good deal out of this one. Remember Pirates had to sell their loot and buy their food somewhere too.

Alpha393

Hmmm... Here's one that could work if balanced very carefully.

"Some distant engine of war is stirring. It will muster it's strength for roughly a year before attacking."

The player has one year to prepare, and a notification in the bottom right(like toxic fallout or volcanic ash) will show 'invasion: rallying phase' with a timer counting down to the beginning of the invasion.

Once time is up, they will receive a danger message that warns them of an impending attack the next morning. True enough, a mechanoid drop squad of 2-7 scythers will drop in, slash your power lines, and get out. After that, mechanoid invasions will occur much more frequently, averaging three to five per season, for the next few seasons to a year.

The mechanoids themselves will follow different attack patterns from the usual mechanoids, with centipedes doubling as sappers and scythers sometimes hauling in supplies to make a forward command center after a month or so, containing batteries, sentry guns, and a compact assembly station to construct mechanoids very slowly, taking several days for just one. The command center will remain active until the event ends or you clear them out. The command center will send daily attacks, stealing plasteel or uninstalled defensive structures to reinforce their command center if given the chance.

Would probably work best with more types of mechanoids, especially a utility-oriented one.