Write an event!

Started by Listy, January 29, 2015, 10:18:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b0rsuk

Animal Disease
Most or all wild animals on the map become infected, which is no big deal for them but makes their meat very bad for humans. Maybe it makes their meat taste very bad (-8?), maybe eaten meat causes disease. Worse, if wild animals make contact with your livestock, they can transmit the disease/parasites. The disease goes away after a month or so.

The point is to have an event that really restricts hunting and taming, but doesn't affect animals player cares after, or animal trade. Also, using scenario editor players could make scenarios where wiild animals have bad meat. (Forced health condition). That might require a new "Context" option (Currently there are three: All, player starting characters, non-player characters. The fourth would be "wild animals").

NeverPire

Circus
Why not a good event to change.
A circus comes to your base, you can either let it pass, or pay it to make a representation giving mood bonus to all colonists watching the show.
The circus is composed of five-six pawns, some bears, dromadories, one rhinoceros and other typical circus animals. It builds one tent composed of one wood wall in each corner, one in the center and roof on the designated area.
They have enough food for them and their animals and belong to a already existing foreigner faction (to avoid to let the player pay them then kill them without penalty).
I will never do worse than what I do now.
It's what self-improvement means.

SKD_Dudu

1- Space Ship Crash: An large ship crashed nearby, maybe you can find something useful around.

Like the random crashing pods events, this event is more bigger and complex, an ! red icon will appear in the World Map and if the caravan choose to interact, an random generated map with multiples spacers and resources, maybe some tribals or raiders scavenging around (if they have outposts close to the event) will be shown. This event have an duration of 5-10 days until the icon in the map dissapears.

The second one is more complicated, but i expect something like this in the future:

2- Ancient Ruins: The caravan discovered an ancient sacred place, as the caravan draws near an echoing voice tells them to get away or they will suffer the consequences.

Unlike the first, this event can happen if any caravan is moving, an ? white icon will be shown on the World Map and the caravan can choose to interact, if the caravan chooses to interact, an random generated map with 2 or 3 thrumbos around (they will be always neutral, only attacking if attacked), a lot of debris, corridors with walls of marble (sandstone, granite or limestone) and older special sculptures will be shown and at somewhere, an old chest can be found and if interacted, the player(s) have the possibility to find inside items like:
2000 silver, 1000 gold, 500 steel, 1 ancient sword, 2 ancient sacrifice knifes, 1 ancient great bow, 1 ancient armor with high melee resistance or even nothing.
After the interaction with the old chest, an powerful ancient enemy or a lot of ancient enemies will appear:
The first one is the Stone Guardian, an slower but powerful melee enemy with an very high attack capable to kill colonists with 1 or 2 hits and with higher hit points than Thrumbos, they drop over 1000 stones if killed.
The second one is the Ancient Guardians, old warriors with an rusty armor equipped with shoody steel longswords, steel spears or steel gladius, they are weak, but like the tribes peoples they make it in numbers, like the first one, this kind of enemy should not be underestimated, they drop 2-5 ash if killed (ash can be used as fertilizer and to make rich soil). This event have an duration of 1 in-game year until the icon in the map dissapears.
Dimitri Rascalov: "You know, if there is one thing that I have learned, it is that we must obey the rules of the game. We can pick the game, Niko Bellic. But we cannot change the rules."

CrazyEyes

Off-Map Artillery

An enemy encampment nearby (within a couple of map tiles) has begun shelling your colony with long-range artillery! We must either send some soldiers to deal with them or hunker down and try to wait it out.

---

Basically like a siege event but from long range. The shells land randomly around the map with a slight preference for your home area. The shelling starts out slow and gradually increases in both frequency and accuracy. Eventually the bombardment stops with a message that the siegers have run out of ammo for their artillery and are now mustering a raid. A couple of days later they arrive at your colony and attack.

Alternately, you can get together a caravan of a handful of your best fighters and travel to the map tile the bombardment is coming from. There you would encounter a siege camp similar to the ones we get now during the siege event. Attacking the defenders and killing or routing them would cease the bombardment and allow you to loot the remaining shells, weapons and other loot around the camp.
Before you talk to me, I should warn you: I am kind of strange.

matthewgareth

How do. I agree with someone/something without having to say something, do "+1"?

Hayhorse

Quote from: matthewgareth on January 15, 2017, 05:21:20 AM
How do. I agree with someone/something without having to say something, do "+1"?

Just quote it and say +1

NeverPire

War
A battlefield is revealed in the world map.
You have the possiblity to go to the place to help your allies.

b0rsuk

Visiting doctor
Visitors to your colony have a skilled doctor/shaman. If your relations are good (or if you pay him), he will take care of your colonists. He will treat each of your sick/injured colonists with nice medicine (once). He will also perform medical exams on your colonists and detect diseases early.

When disease strikes in Rimworld, disease progress doesn't start at 1%. It starts higher, and it only now became apparent because of the symptoms. You now know these people should stay in bed and be treated. An event like this could take advantage of this fact and promote more faction goodwill.

Grishnerf

Rincewind the WizZard

A lonely Visitor enters your map followed by a wooden chest with hundred Little feet.
(note: in rimworld universe this is the only living "Thing" thats has feet, so it is ultrafast)
Rincewind would have 3 spells.
Transmute, Teleport, Store
transmute - he can trasnform any object excepts pawns into anything.
he could make some of your walls into cobraeggs. some of your solarpanels into stonechunks. some of your stonechunks into Gold.
Teleport - if he gets into danger, ports random anywhere on the map. no cooldown.
Store - randomly collects goods and store it in the chest.
but the chest will be always empty.
rincewind doesnt like weapons or danger.
so if you just rightclick him to arrest he will insatntly vanish and the event is over.

what is to gain? everything.
what is to lose? everything.

this post is half serious.
Born in Toxic Fallout
Drop-Pod Escape Artist

Jens

I agree on this being a good idea. Diseases can be extremely hard-hitting, especially when only having one good doctor in your colony (which happens quite often). When a disease appears on your doctor with 65/50 %-rates you are basically fucked. Which is OK I guess, but this would at least open for the oppurtunity for a second-rate doctor to actually save the day.

Quote from: NeverPire on January 14, 2017, 08:38:25 PM
Circus
Why not a good event to change.
A circus comes to your base, you can either let it pass, or pay it to make a representation giving mood bonus to all colonists watching the show.
The circus is composed of five-six pawns, some bears, dromadories, one rhinoceros and other typical circus animals. It builds one tent composed of one wood wall in each corner, one in the center and roof on the designated area.
They have enough food for them and their animals and belong to a already existing foreigner faction (to avoid to let the player pay them then kill them without penalty).

NeverPire

Quote from: Jens on January 23, 2017, 02:02:16 PM
I agree on this being a good idea. Diseases can be extremely hard-hitting, especially when only having one good doctor in your colony (which happens quite often). When a disease appears on your doctor with 65/50 %-rates you are basically fucked. Which is OK I guess, but this would at least open for the oppurtunity for a second-rate doctor to actually save the day.

Quote from: b0rsuk on January 23, 2017, 12:58:09 PM
Visiting doctor
Visitors to your colony have a skilled doctor/shaman. If your relations are good (or if you pay him), he will take care of your colonists. He will treat each of your sick/injured colonists with nice medicine (once). He will also perform medical exams on your colonists and detect diseases early.

When disease strikes in Rimworld, disease progress doesn't start at 1%. It starts higher, and it only now became apparent because of the symptoms. You now know these people should stay in bed and be treated. An event like this could take advantage of this fact and promote more faction goodwill.
I just correct because you have quoted my post and not that of b0rsuk.

Sola

Hurricane/Typhoon/Monsoon - Basically any sort of wind-and-water storm
-Lasts anywhere from a few hours to several days.
-Unroofed structures take damage
-Wind turbines operate at full capacity, but take additional damage.
-Walls take damage over time (significant for wood, less so for steel/stone)
-Mood debuff for colonists that have to spend more than a few seconds outside at a time.

Death spores - something is bombarding the planet from orbit, intentionally trying to kill all life.
-Warning before the effect starts.
-Lasts as long as a season.
-Any exposure to outside air will poison the person breathing it, requiring immediate medical attention.  24 hours untreated is death to a healthy 100% breather.

Basically a more virulent toxic fallout.  This will also give weight to the cabin fever mood debuff.
Two tiers of construction jobs.  One for expensive/quality items, and one for walls/floors/etc.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=28669.0

makkenhoff

Without reading any of the prior suggestions:

"tavern brawl" a fight amongst your colonists has broken out, and they are taking sides, aside from the brawl itself, includes moodlet & social penalties, even for those not involved in it. Ideally, it should be triggered by two rivals insulting each other frequently.

Jstank

Caravan/Ally/War Requested

Caravan Requested
[Faction] requests a trade caravan at [NearbySameFactionColony]. They request [TraderType] If you get there in [X] days you will gain [Y] standing with them.

A reason to go caravaning and possible replacement for [wire 300 silver and gain standing mechanic].

Wage War

[Faction] requests you destroy [AttackingFaction]. If you get destroy it in [X] days you will gain [Y] standing with [DefendingFaction]

A reason to go war mongering and a way to get cozy with pirate factions!

Aid Allies

Help! [Faction] requests immediate reinforcements at [NearbyAlliedFactionColony] If you help defend the colony in [X] days you will gain [Y] Standing with [DefendingFaction] and loose [Z] standing with [AttackingFaction]

These are super cheap to do and gives the player a reason to use the new caravan system while also revamping the diplomacy system.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

- Bernard of Clairvaux

Ace_livion

Crazy Ivan
A lone colonist, carrying a Doomsday rocket processes you colony. it is unknown what have driven this person to this extend.
a naked hostile person whit a doomsday rocket

Power Surge.
an unknown power source is currently floating into your systems. charging your power grid, yet damaging it in the process
a great power surge flood true your cables, charging all of your things.
this can last up to 3 days. while the power surge in in place, the Zzzt event and breakdowns are 50% more likely to happen.

Smoke leaf cloud.
somewhere close by, a huge smoke leaf farm is burning. the hallucinating smoke is passing over the colony
people who are outside will be effected as if they have been smoking smokeleaf, extended time will give them an overdose.
pleasing chem fascinate colonists and displeasing Teetotalers.

Zombies (joke)
the unknown environment on the Rimworkd have caused the dead to walk again
corpses will turn into zombies, and dig them self out of graves if buried.
they are weak, slow, and mainstream.