Write an event!

Started by Listy, January 29, 2015, 10:18:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vagineer1

Quote from: Tynan on February 22, 2015, 04:32:15 AM
This thread is a gold mine! Many thanks to you all.

If anyone has other thoughts, I am all ears.

I've got one.

(You've detected an escape pod about to land nearby, but it isn't one from the ship you escaped from)

My idea is that these escape pods are much larger than the ones on the ship our colonists came from. These were designed to carry at least 5 to 10 people and a small number of supplies ranging from guns, building materials or medicine. You could also take apart the EPs to get the materials they were built from. But be careful as the pods could have hostiles inside too.
You see this tank?

This tank is the epitome of "I'm going to destroy you"

This tank can make Chuck norris cry.

All hail the Takemikazuchi.

Sartain

For a positive event, skilled visitors to your colony could offer their services, either free of charge or for a fee, while they're visiting. Basically, hired help for a bit.

evrett33

The AI running your guns/power/com computer becomes corrupted and decided to kill all humans.

Heavy rain/wind/poor maint causes a roof collapse.

A passing shaman declares you have settled on a sacred burial ground of his people. He demands a offering or he'll call down lightning on your base, summon ghosts to haunt your settlement, or drive local animals to attack your colonists.

A visiting artist becomes inspired. She constructs a statue of a leader you do not recognize and gifts it to the colony, inviting you to enjoy its beauty for all time. After she leaves you learn the statue is an comedic caricature of a local leader and that leaders zealous followers are bent on its destruction.

A princess from a local community has eloped with one of your colonists. She wants to join your colony but her brothers have arrived and demand her return.

One of the local animals has adopted your colonist. It follows him around to the entertainment of all and soon becomes the town mascot. They have even give it a name. If it were to perish everyone in the colony would be very sad.

Listy

Quote from: Tynan on February 22, 2015, 04:32:15 AM
This thread is a gold mine! Many thanks to you all.

If anyone has other thoughts, I am all ears.

Good to hear, that's why I started it.

Event:
Lost Key.
One of the colonists looses his door key card. He can't open any other doors until another colonist gets to him. (Use the "Rescue colonist" functions perhaps?

A good nights sleep:
No matter the conditions a Colonist has had a really good nights sleep. + morale effect.

skullywag

We have beer, we have emmie, party anyone?

Edit - woops i mean the pop star. TOTALLY different party if emmie is involved..*gulp*
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

StorymasterQ

Quote from: skullywag on February 23, 2015, 03:25:49 AM
We have beer, we have emmie, party anyone?

Edit - woops i mean the pop star. TOTALLY different party if emmie is involved..*gulp*

I'd go to a party if Emmie's coming. Also if she's doing the thing with the same (or slightly different) spelling but with a completely different meaning.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

skullywag

Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

StorymasterQ

I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

Mithradates

Romani arma in omnis habent, acerruma in eos, quibus victis spolia maxuma; audendo et fallundo et bella ex bellis serundo magni facti. Per hunc morem extinguent omnia aut occident.

MrSurvivor

Desert: Sandstorm
A sandstorm has begun.
-Until it ends colonists will have reduced visibility
-(And your screen will be filled with sand too so you can't see anything. Of course indoors isn't affected)

Snowy place: Hailstorm
Hail has begun to fall.
-All colonists will take damage from hail (Like once every 5 seconds or so. Damage will be like getting hit with a rock [basically is])

Anywhere: Supply drop
An orbiting cargo ship has taken pity on you and has dropped some supplies *jump to location*
-Basically like cargo pod crash but there is much more stuff and much rarer. It is also more organized.

Anywhere: Inspiration
Your researcher has suddenly has a flash of inspiration!
-Research subject boosted by 10%

Anywhere with trees: Fallen Tree
A tree has collapsed and has caused some damage!
-Tree destroys anything in a 3x3 radius with the tree in the middle. Gives more incentive to cut trees.

Electronics: Malfunction
One of your electronics has malfunctioned and is not working. It will take some time to fix.
-Anything that needs power can have this. Time to repair varies but with ex: improvised turret it will take 1 hour to fix and up to 3 hours for advanced turret...

HOPE THIS HELPS! ^_^

NoImageAvailable

Something a bit more complex: A deep space mining vessel appears and drops in a bunch of miners who build a small outpost similar to sieges. They get regular supply drops from their ship and go around mining ore and hauling it back to their base camp. After a week or so they go away, taking all their gathered resources with them. The player can either attack them and take all their resources or call the ship using the comms console and either pay a small fee to make them go away or buy their resources at below market price (saves them the trouble of hauling and finding a buyer after all).
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

Garash

A single pirate request to join your colony, saying he/she has had enough of his/her days of pirating.

A. You except him, he joins and no followup event.
B. You decline and he/she leaves the area.
C. ITS A TRAP! The pirate saboutages your powergrid (like a solar flare) and a group of pirates enters the area and assaults immediatly. (This ofcourse with a lower percentage of happening)

StorymasterQ

Quote from: Garash on February 25, 2015, 03:37:07 PM
A single pirate request to join your colony, saying he/she has had enough of his/her days of pirating.

A. You except him, he joins and no followup event.
B. You decline and he/she leaves the area.
C. ITS A TRAP! The pirate saboutages your powergrid (like a solar flare) and a group of pirates enters the area and assaults immediatly. (This ofcourse with a lower percentage of happening)

Sounds suspiciously similar to an event from FTL :D Love it!

cultist

I would like to see more "soft" events. Basically, things that add more life to the area, but doesn't have a substantial effect on your colony. Good examples of this in the current game are random friendly visitors (no real effect except the option for more social chat) and cargo drop pods (reasonably small positive reward with little risk but often a time sink). It doesn't have to be much more fancy than a few lines of text or a slight change in the environment. But it all adds up.

Kegereneku

Bumping,
Who is on making this thread a sticky ? Tynan looked like interested and we really need at least one of these don't you think ?
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !