Write an event!

Started by Listy, January 29, 2015, 10:18:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elixiar

Suggestion 1:

[Colonist 1] had a heated argument with [colonist 6]

For a few days they will be bitter and their moods worsened.

Suggestion 2:

[Colonist 4] has organised a shoe horse competition.

Light hearted group fun has raised the moods of everyone in the colony.

(all colonists go to shoe horse zone for 2-3 hours)

Suggestion 3:

Visitors from [town at the field] are in pursuit of fleeing raiders, help them!
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

ARiA1089

good/bad event:"you see a chunk of the ship that brought you here crash down "
the ship piece may contain work benches smelters furnaces and resources or a cryptosleep casket with another colonist (capture rescue to whatever)
the ship piece could be filled with mechanoids which had destroyed your ship in the first place (cuz they really hate humans)
──▄▀──────────█──
──▄▀───────────█── Careful Kids, he got raided
─▄▀─█───────────█─
█──▄█────────▄──█─
─▀▀─█──█──█──█▄▀
────█──█──█▀▀
────█──█▄▄█
────█──█
────▀▄▄▀

Listy

Quote from: REMworlder on January 29, 2015, 12:56:34 PM
A spacer appears on the map and runs to your base. Tribals appear shortly after and follow. A popup message says the spacer is being chased by tribals for stealing a valuable item.

Congrats REM, you got your event in!

From the change log:

"Added chased refugee incident. A refugee radios for help; you can accept them into the colony but a raid will follow them."

The message states the player can:
A. Do nothing. The tribals will eventually catch up to the spacer. If the spacer survives being pincushioned he can be captured.
-(unstated random chance) Some spacer drop pod in and throw down with the tribals.
-(unstated random chance) The spacer drops a valuable object. The tribals will still chase him.
B. Attack the tribals. The tribals will attack your colony and the spacer will drop something valuable as thanks before leaving the map.
C. Kill the spacer. (unstated option) The tribals will be thankful and your relations will increase.

A cloud of ash blankets the map, dropping solar panel efficiency and halving cooler effectiveness. Darkness and storm effects debuff ranged accuracy. Most common in mountain regions.

Barley

Rockslide!
A sudden rockslide comes rushing down a nearby mountain's surface, burying or crushing anything nearby.

Replaces everything within 3 tiles of an overhead mountain tile with compact rubble.

Bodog999

Event : Cannibal Man-hunter
Some lone warrior (tribal or with advanced tech) is seeking humanitarian food.
Challenge for the player : straighforward

Shia LeBouf?

Wild Card

Event : Predator (kinda` like the movie)

3 or 4 friendly pawns start at the edge of the map and make their way to your colony. 1 is a tribal 1 a spacer 1 a pirate and 1 an outlander, each with his/her own gear.

few sec later behind them spawn 1/2 bio-engineered soldiers , 1 specializing in melee (2 bionic legs, 2 power claws, shield,etc...melee build) 1 ranged (bionic legs bionic eyes, minigun bionic arms etc...ranged build) which hunt the first 4.
Story is that this is a test by the local genetic engineering company to see how well their products behave in combat.

You can...do nothing, in which case the Predators will catch and exterminate the prey and leave
           ...move to intercept the 4 runners and get ready for a fight.

If you win you get to keep the survivors as well as the gear of the fallen bio-engi soldiers.  And maybe would incur the ire of the bio soldiers manufacturers who would send them against your colony again in the future...in small to med numbers, to keep from being to unfair !

A Friend

Some small simple ideas.

Event: Equipment failure

"[Constructor Colonist]'s poor maintenance check resulted in a [Equipment/Door/Turret/Etc] being unusable until repaired"
Basically the description.

Event: Chewed cables

"A wild squirrel/rabbit has chewed on some of your power cables!"
When the mentioned animals comes near exposed power cables there is a chance for this to trigger, the eating animation thingy happens on the cable and when finished, the cable deconstructs.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

Vas

Reavers.
The race of people that rape you to death, eat your flesh, and sow your skin into their clothing from the series Firefly.

An event that has them land at your colony.  Like the crashed ship event, only the shape of a ship instead of a part.  Going within 100 blocks of this ship will cause your colonists to get sick with radiation damage, increasingly high radiation levels the closer you get to the ship.

It releases a race of humanoid creatures with scared flesh and wounds and metal sticking out everywhere as they desecrated their own bodies.  These are permanent man-hunters, and will never stop trying to find you.

When they land, your colonists (all) get a mood shift to -20, "Afraid of reavers" or something like this.  The ship does not leave or retreat, it must be destroyed to get rid of it.  The mood shift disappears once you kill all the reavers though, and the ship has a random storage amount based on it's size of 30-75 reavers, all melee users, mostly with no shields.  So kill all the enemies inside, then find a way to kill the ship (if you want).

Lastly, these enemies are priority, all humanoid creatures will attack them and consider you temporarily allied till the enemy is dead.  Reavers are considered extremely dangerous, all humans work together to kill them even if they have a -99 relation with everyone else around them.  Once the reavers are dead and gone, all visitors and raiders leave peacefully but return to previous standings before the fight (all may have a +5 standing boost based on the fact that you helped them against the reavers).

This would be a fun event, might be nice to see a mod make it.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

Katorone

Quote from: Vas on June 08, 2015, 11:44:48 PM
This would be a fun event, might be nice to see a mod make it.
These reavers pale in comparison to some of the colonies i've seen.  Wouldn't be surprised if for some colonists the reaver event would end up being a +20 mood boost because of "new friends/food/clothes!"

demacrex

Good
Hazy Sunset/sunrise - (any biome with trees) a nearby fire (off map) is producing smoke that combined with the wind, layers the sky above us and gives beautiful tones in the sunset/sunrise - gives small boost to joy and beauty for that evening/morning, colonists go outside to see it.

Now I know people have said Meteor showers BUT Meteor Shower - Non impact, small particles streak across the night sky from whatever origin, they leave incandescent trails in their wake - similar to Hazy sunset/sunrise but a midnight or pre-dawn event which increases joy and beauty, colonists go outside to view it.

I noticed my pawns meditate sometimes in their rooms if they are set to either 'joy' or 'anything', possibly both but what if there was an event for that say something like 'Inner peace' - one of your colonists after meditating an average amount over the last x amount of months has found what it means to be truly happy, and goes about spreading this to their fellow colonists (might not work for every one e.g psychopaths and the like but the other colonists are happier for a short time or a +2 or +5 permanent effect)

Not sure if someone has said something like this but 'Amazing Art' - one of your colonists (who has a certain crafting level) has made a stunning piece of art, your whole colony gathers for a moment this evening (so work isn't interrupted) to unveil it (or not haha) and it gives a medium beauty and a minor mood boost, both of which fade with time.

Neutral
Drought/Monsoon Season - (Drought for forest/plains, monsoon for desert) The weather system of the planet shifts changing the biome significantly for the following month/ 2 months - not sure how possible but changes the biome to the opposite end of the spectrum for a period e.g desert to tropical forest and vise versa for however long.

Strange Tides - (raised/ lowered water levels, maybe for coastal) one of the moons of this planet has a strange affect on tides at this time and it raises/lowers water levels.

Tribal Migration - (any biome, so long as world map contains a tribal faction) A neighboring tribe has been forced from their home for reasons unknown to us, while they seem cautious they do seem willing to barter, as they are carrying everything they could from their home (maybe even have a muffalo/some animal towing a cart or with leather packs) they don't have anything fancy but may have food or items of little value to them (which they don't understand) but are of great value to us etc.
^ could go another way aswell, e.g they decide your colony is the perfect site and try to evict after trading with you or whatever kicked them from their home land follows or a small number defect from the group and join you out of fear of wandering the landscape trying to find a home forever.

Bad
Locust Plague - (Desert and Arid shublands, possibly more) A ravenous swarm of locusts descend upon the land eating any crops or natural food plants in their path and possibly contaminate any meals they can reach through vents etc.

That's all for now I'll add anything I think of later :)
If Rimworld taught me anything, it's that 95% of your problems can be killed and eaten.

b0rsuk

Great Migration
A HUGE herd of pack animals, like mufallos, passes through the map. It's an opportunity to get quite a lot of food if you have competent hunters with nothing else to do. They enter on one edge and exit on the opposite one.

Tynan

Quote from: b0rsuk on July 25, 2015, 06:44:26 PM
Great Migration
A HUGE herd of pack animals, like mufallos, passes through the map. It's an opportunity to get quite a lot of food if you have competent hunters with nothing else to do. They enter on one edge and exit on the opposite one.

I love it - that's one of the oldest ideas I have written down in my ideas reservoir. From like day 1 of RimWorld brainstorming.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Segrog

Flooding: Most likely on on beach maps. Almost the whole map would be filled with water. Most of the water would be light blue (the type you can walk in), but some areas could be the dark blue water (The type you can't walk in). When this happens, it can last for weeks.
Challenge for player: all their outside fields with crops in them would be destroyed. Also colonists would walk slower and the smaller animals would drown. If the player had a house woth no doors, then water would come in the house and damage the electronics and detroiate the furniture and items in it. This would be even better of there was hostile fish.

Kegereneku

The migration idea just feel like "even more meat" to me, that's ok for Ice-sheet and post-Fallout but most biomes don't need it much.
...A dangerous stampede however... I wonder if it can be coded.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

b0rsuk

Quote from: Kegereneku on July 26, 2015, 10:07:24 AM
The migration idea just feel like "even more meat" to me, that's ok for Ice-sheet and post-Fallout but most biomes don't need it much.
...A dangerous stampede however... I wonder if it can be coded.

I've been thinking about it. Yes, cargo pods may as well be called meat pods. So maybe once this event is introduced, meat pods can come less often ? There will mostly be pods for things that aren't edible.

Stampede might be simulated by "animal(s) went mad" event happening during the migration event. Or maybe Evil Ship activates while there's a migration ?

Wargs should primarily go after loose meat and corpses. Events like that would reduce the amount of freely available meat.