[A13] Combat Realism v.1.6.5 (08.05.16) Final release

Started by NoImageAvailable, January 29, 2015, 12:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fluffy (l2032)

Just started a new game with CR, so far I'm liking it.

One quick question though, would it be possible for hunters to walk closer to their prey? I.e. have the pawn make a decision about the range at which he has a good chance of hitting. My hunter (12 shooter) spent a full day shooting at a turtle without hitting, switched him to a pistol and he's bringing in meat like a madman.

FMJ Penguin

Quote from: l2032 on September 06, 2015, 04:49:10 PM

One quick question though, would it be possible for hunters to walk closer to their prey? I.e. have the pawn make a decision about the range at which he has a good chance of hitting. My hunter (12 shooter) spent a full day shooting at a turtle without hitting, switched him to a pistol and he's bringing in meat like a madman.

Pretty sure this has to do with weapon max-ranges and their specific accuracy at those ranges which is pretty much all that matters when  your pawn auto hunts stuff. Hunters will stay at max range of the weapon they are using tell the prey is dropped and then go up close to finish the job. They don't take accuracy of the shot into account at all which is why there is so much fail in the AI's shooting in general(they honestly just don't have proper AI for how nuanced and complex the accuracy and los elements are in this game).

Always hated how accuracy and weapon max ranges worked in this game...... Nothing to do with this mod btw.  Although I supposed you could try to work around it by making all weapons 80+ accuracy minimum at their respective max ranges. Just using max ranges as the big "equalizer" if you will and forgoing any actual realism in the process. And there lies the age old debate with realism vs gameplay..........

But yes, the pistols are prolly all OP at hunting just because of how ranges and accuracy works. The only downside to pistols and hunting is you have less time to kill it or get away sense you'll be closer to the prey if and when it ever goes  hostile/manhunter on you.
Bits & bobs: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/buuxpswcu9rzh3o/AABlRN4f2E4UNfDY8a_RoA6Ea?dl=0 All open source so sell it to Adolf for a new pair of sneaks if you like.
"Curious.... How many credit hours does it take tell you can make a comment like that without laughing uncontrollably at yourself?"

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: l2032 on September 06, 2015, 04:49:10 PM

Its an issue with the hunting AI. Pawns will always try to get to max range, regardless of how terrible their accuracy is at that range, hence why close range weapons are best for hunting. If pawns with a sniper rifle would close to within 10 cells of their target before firing they would also be much more effective.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

Fluffy (l2032)

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on September 06, 2015, 06:15:29 PM
Its an issue with the hunting AI. Pawns will always try to get to max range, regardless of how terrible their accuracy is at that range, hence why close range weapons are best for hunting. If pawns with a sniper rifle would close to within 10 cells of their target before firing they would also be much more effective.
Exactly. So is it possible to change 'always goes to max range' into 'always goes to max effective range'?

Alistaire

Quote from: l2032 on September 07, 2015, 01:44:00 AM
Quote from: NoImageAvailable on September 06, 2015, 06:15:29 PM
Exactly. So is it possible to change 'always goes to max range' into 'always goes to max effective range'?

Max range is max effective range. The only way to define max range would be to see how far the bullet goes when fired at a 45 degree angle which might be max range but isn't realistic.

Fluffy (l2032)

I feel like this is getting lost in the semantics, but possibly I'm just misunderstanding. When you say max effective range, you mean the theoretical maximum effective range as defined in the weapon defs, whereas what I mean is a a range where the hunting pawn has a good chance of actually hitting with the weapon he's holding. Correct?

What I mean is; instead of a pawn going to max (effective) range (as defined in the weapon def), would be it viable to implement a calculation of a theoretical (disregarding cover, foliage, etc.) range where it is likely that this particular pawn, shooting at this size target, has a chance to hit of, say 90%?

Anyway, I'ld look into it more myself, but I haven't looked at any CR code (which I imagine would be needed for this calculation), nor have I had the chance to take a proper look at the hunting jobdriver in the core. I have to work now (Damned!), but I'm planning to look at it more closely tonight.

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: l2032 on September 07, 2015, 03:00:04 AM
Anyway, I'ld look into it more myself, but I haven't looked at any CR code (which I imagine would be needed for this calculation), nor have I had the chance to take a proper look at the hunting jobdriver in the core. I have to work now (Damned!), but I'm planning to look at it more closely tonight.

It is definitely on my to-do list to tweak the hunting AI, though I would probably leave it at "always close to within max range or 10 cells, whichever is lower" for simplicity, because calculating actual hit chances under the new aiming system would be fairly involved and mostly unnecessary.

Fluffy (l2032)

Thats actually a much simpler and more elegant solution, looking forward to your updates! :D

(I might actually still fiddle around with this myself in the mean time)

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: l2032 on September 07, 2015, 03:49:48 AM
Thats actually a much simpler and more elegant solution, looking forward to your updates! :D

(I might actually still fiddle around with this myself in the mean time)

It'll probably be a while before I get around to it, so if you come up with something in the meantime, feel free to shoot me a message and I'll get it included in the main mod.

Facepunch

Right, so, it seems Im having a bit of an issue with CR, I love this mod, would really like to use it. When I join in, I get a broken game, and a console full of error:
http://puu.sh/k2Y6V/1c9a86c420.png
Dunno what broke, but, again, I really love this mod, it's probably the best thing since beer and hookers.

akiceabear

Facepunch - suggest you play with no mods except CR, then one by one load your other mods and start new games. Should tell you where the incompatibility is.

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: Facepunch on September 07, 2015, 08:35:18 AM
Right, so, it seems Im having a bit of an issue with CR, I love this mod, would really like to use it. When I join in, I get a broken game, and a console full of error:
http://puu.sh/k2Y6V/1c9a86c420.png
Dunno what broke, but, again, I really love this mod, it's probably the best thing since beer and hookers.

Did you load an existing colony? If so, try starting a new one and see if it works.

Commander Beanbag

Is it intentional for frag grenades to have no fragmentation component? Right now they only have the nerfed radius, and they seem fairly weak. I haven't used them much though.

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: Commander Beanbag on September 07, 2015, 10:01:09 AM
Is it intentional for frag grenades to have no fragmentation component? Right now they only have the nerfed radius, and they seem fairly weak. I haven't used them much though.

It is not, will be fixed in the next version.

Facepunch

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on September 07, 2015, 09:36:26 AM
Did you load an existing colony? If so, try starting a new one and see if it works.

Strangely, it doesn't do anything when I hit the "New Colony" button, forgot to mention that. Same way with making a new world. Console stays empty, too.