[A13] Combat Realism v.1.6.5 (08.05.16) Final release

Started by NoImageAvailable, January 29, 2015, 12:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latta

With your favorite or preferred text editor. Wordpad(if you are using Windows...), Atom or any other out there.

And please save a copy of your file.

akiceabear

Hi NIA - are mechs intended to be game enders? I'm finding that no matter how much I save scum, its essentially impossible to stop a pack of centipedes. I have 5 colonists armed with EMP and regular grenades. No matter how many times I try, by the time the EMP wears off only 1 or 2 of 5 centipedes is down, and the others then simply destroy my colonists in the first volley.

Related to this - I think the market value of guns needs to be adjusted to reflect their lethality. For example, pulse rifles show up quite early for how incredibly lethal they are against pawns compared to many other weapons. I think increasing the market value of high rate of fire, high range, high damage weapons would delay/reduce their occurrence in raids, if I understand the raid value mechanic correctly. This may also be a solution to 5 centipedes effectively ending my colony in the first winter - a harrowing battle against 1-2 would be a more balanced challenge under their current lethality - I'd still probably have at least a maimed colonist or two out of it!

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: akiceabear on September 16, 2015, 07:56:40 AM
Hi NIA - are mechs intended to be game enders? I'm finding that no matter how much I save scum, its essentially impossible to stop a pack of centipedes. I have 5 colonists armed with EMP and regular grenades. No matter how many times I try, by the time the EMP wears off only 1 or 2 of 5 centipedes is down, and the others then simply destroy my colonists in the first volley.

They're intended to be challenging but not game-enders. This is where the whole "no time to playtest" thing comes in and why it is important for users to leave feedback. Just did a test fight with 2 AR's, sniper, survival rifle vs one Centipede with Inferno cannon and yeah, they definitely seem to be very powerful with the new armor system. Looking at the raid values right now a Centipede is worth 290 points. For reference, a Scyther is worth 160, a melee pirate with shield is 150. Testing also showed they have gained a rather uncanny ability to spontaneously switch targets should the original target have ducked behind cover.

My personal take on Centipedes was always that they should be something like an IFV, i.e. an opponent with heavy armor and firepower which requires dedicated anti-vehicle weaponry to defeat. The problem right now is vanilla doesn't really offer much in the way of anti-vehicle weaponry. In another test fight I was using 2 AR's to draw fire while a third colonist was firing one of the anti-materiel rifles from Rimfire and the fight went much better. LMG's seem to do a decent number on them as well. I'll probably end up doubling the point cost of a Centipede and look into including some dedicated anti-vehicle weapons in the main mod. Further down the line I'd also like to include a lean-toggle button which lets colonists dodge incoming fire by ducking back behind a wall.

The pricing of guns is a good point as well. The market values are still balanced the way they were in previous Alphas but the recent mechanical additions have shaken up the usefulness of certain weapons so there will have to be some major rebalancing in that area. This applies to Centipede weapons which went from being unable to hit the broad side of a barn to deadly accuracy as well as certain other weapons. All in all as the mod nears feature-completion the old balance becomes increasingly obsolete and all the more important it is to identify these problem areas as they crop up.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

Jan2607

If I want to make an recipe for the M2 turret to craft at the mechanics workbench (like the improvised turrets), what would I have to add?

DaemonDeathAngel

I'm not in credits? :P After all that information i gave you the other day lol

NoImageAvailable

Update
Rebalanced the Centipedes by increasing their points cost by 150%. So now you should see only 1-2 where there were 4-5 before.

Quote from: Jan2607 on September 16, 2015, 02:44:49 PM
If I want to make an recipe for the M2 turret to craft at the mechanics workbench (like the improvised turrets), what would I have to add?

A recipeDef like the turret has.

Quote from: DaemonDeathAngel on September 16, 2015, 10:57:12 PM
I'm not in credits? :P After all that information i gave you the other day lol

"DaemonDeathAngel - consultant on the topic of pain caused by bullet wounds and knife attacks." Your input was very valuable ;)

Commander Beanbag

Consider also reducing the selection weight in the mechanoid's faction def. In vanilla, centipedes and scythers share the same selection weight (100). The combat power change will probably just reduce the size of mechanoid raids.

TheRedOne

The link for "Combat Realism for Project Armory" seems to lead to a 404 page

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: Commander Beanbag on September 17, 2015, 10:49:08 AM
Consider also reducing the selection weight in the mechanoid's faction def. In vanilla, centipedes and scythers share the same selection weight (100). The combat power change will probably just reduce the size of mechanoid raids.

Good point, I'll have a look at it.

Quote from: TheRedOne on September 17, 2015, 12:03:55 PM
The link for "Combat Realism for Project Armory" seems to lead to a 404 page

Its not updated to A12 since Project Armory isn't updated either. I'll put up a disclaimer.

Pokk720

Just wanted to say I love your mod and I really appreciate all your hard work. I had a centipede and a scyther drop in on my colony randomly and the results were devastating! but it was fun. I ended up having to use a shotgun right up close on the centipede to take it down but at that point I had already lost too many people to continue. But it was a great way to go out.

Didact04

I used the latest version of CR and the version of the community library that people said is compatible, but I get this massive list of red and yellow errors that basically say everything in the mod contains a null value. This happens even if I remove every mod and install only the combat realism, with or without the community library.

I'm at something of a loss. I don't want to have a sniper rifle that plucks limbs like flower petals or magical bows and arrows that can punch through power armor, but I also need a playable game.

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: Didact04 on September 17, 2015, 03:03:48 PM
I used the latest version of CR and the version of the community library that people said is compatible, but I get this massive list of red and yellow errors that basically say everything in the mod contains a null value. This happens even if I remove every mod and install only the combat realism, with or without the community library.

I'm at something of a loss. I don't want to have a sniper rifle that plucks limbs like flower petals or magical bows and arrows that can punch through power armor, but I also need a playable game.

Just which version of CCL do you have? You should be using the latest version, the issues people mentioned regarding CCL 0.12.2 have been resolved.

DaemonDeathAngel

AllenWL

I recently got attacked by a pack of manhunter wargs and it was... disappointingly easy.

I think wargs should be sturdier.
I mean, a rhino can take multiple shots from a rifle, a thrumbo can take more than I can count and still be going strong, but a warg, which is said to have been created for 'population suppression' is killed in less than 3? I dunno...