[A13] Combat Realism v.1.6.5 (08.05.16) Final release

Started by NoImageAvailable, January 29, 2015, 12:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akiceabear

I think its reasonable - think about wolves versus rhinos. Wolves can definitely control a unarmed populations' growth, but not take shots the way a rhino can.

LustrousWolf

Idea? Maybe like having raiders trying to rescue their men / women whilst fleeing? Rather than just ditching them? Sorta more realistic in my opinion. Or try to haul their dead friends maybe, cos I mean, if you and your best friend were shooting some other guys, and your friends gets shot dead, I am pretty sure you would try your best to haul your friend back with you to bury them? I know it is kinda unfriendly to game play, but maybe with reworked raider AI they can make decisions on whether they cant rescue their friends and have to leave them?

AllenWL

Quote from: akiceabear on September 18, 2015, 11:19:11 AM
I think its reasonable - think about wolves versus rhinos. Wolves can definitely control a unarmed populations' growth, but not take shots the way a rhino can.

True, but wargs are genetically modified super wolves, shouldn't they be tougher than the average rabbit?
And besides, there isn't a single unarmed population in rimworld. Shouldn't the wargs have been made to control a armed population's growth? I mean, if they're unarmed, why bother making genetically modified animals to do it?

NoImageAvailable

The truth about wargs is, I haven't touched animals due to concerns about compatibility with other mods. The topic has already come up when we were working on the new aiming system and debating changing animal body sizes. As it is they're kind of all over the place, same for animal health, natural armor, etc. Maybe at some point in the future there will be some kind of "Animal Realism" sister mod to this one and it'll adjust all the animal health, body size, armor, etc. to more reasonable values but so far priorities are elsewhere.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

AllenWL

Oh, I see.

On another note, I bought a LMD(LMG? Forgot what it's called) and it seems pretty powerful. 100 bullet magazine, 30 shot burst, and pretty fast too. On the downside, it's a lot harder to get healthy prisoners now.

I think I like the new aiming system a lot more than the old one. After I saw a arrow fly past a embrasure and hit the wall behind it, I took a close look at the bullets during a battle. Having the bullets fly by the pawns and hit stuff behind them looks a lot cooler then every bullet hitting the floor around the pawn.
Also, I realized that I need to plan my base better. I really don't need a bullet to miss my colonist and blow up the solar panels.

Pirate

This mod looks amazing, a shame I can't play it as it's incompatible with the ultimate overhaul modpack.

Do you intend to make it compatible?

Alistaire

It's not supposed to be compatible because Ninefinger doesn't have permission to use it along with a donation button.

Pirate

Quote from: Alistaire on September 20, 2015, 03:20:54 AM
It's not supposed to be compatible because Ninefinger doesn't have permission to use it along with a donation button.

Learn to read.

Im talking about compatibility, not inclusion in the modpack.

And to make a mod like this only to have it played by very few people simply because it's incompatible with the most popular modpack seems kinda silly.

Alistaire

Quote from: Pirate on September 20, 2015, 03:55:08 AM
Quote from: Alistaire on September 20, 2015, 03:20:54 AM

Learn to read.

Im talking about compatibility, not inclusion in the modpack.

And to make a mod like this only to have it played by very few people simply because it's incompatible with the most popular modpack seems kinda silly.

Why would NIA make a compatibility patch for a modpack the mod shouldn't be in in the first place. The mod edits several core game defs
and includes an entirely new Projectile class which makes it incompatible with many mods which edit or check for those. Compatibility is not
the aim of CombatRealism, and compatibility with Ultimate Overhaul is even less of a concern since Ninefinger shouldn't use it anyways.

I personally don't care how many people play my mods or mods I worked on, it's not like it ultimately matters and there's really no use to
you as a mod creator to include your mod in Ultimate Overhaul - since nobody feels inclined to comment on the mod itself (but rather on the
modpack as a whole) you don't get anything useful out of it.

zenfur

Quote from: Alistaire on September 20, 2015, 04:22:40 AM
I personally don't care how many people play my mods or mods I worked on, it's not like it ultimately matters and there's really no use to
you as a mod creator to include your mod in Ultimate Overhaul - since nobody feels inclined to comment on the mod itself (but rather on the modpack as a whole) you don't get anything useful out of it.

I think you're wrong with this one. I have played both hardcore and U.Ovh. modpacks and thanks to them I got to know many mods. The feedback about changes/bugs I directed directly to the mod creators of the content I liked. Also I've learned about many mods existing mostly thanks to the modpack(s) and its credits list.

In my opinion instead banishing NineFinger (which does lots of work to update other mods everytime new alpha is released) for getting donate button of his own, get donating option yourself! I'd be glad to give you a little something for these awesome mods like combat realism :) I have nothing against modders getting donations for the work they have done. I guess what you have the biggest problem with is the fact that Ninefinger gets such popularity and recognition for mostly aggregating other people's work.

Also maybe you could agree to support compatibility for share of the donations?
Little posts, quality posts.

Notice me, senpaaiiiiiii!!!!

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: Pirate on September 19, 2015, 08:11:39 PM
This mod looks amazing, a shame I can't play it as it's incompatible with the ultimate overhaul modpack.

Do you intend to make it compatible?

While I am not against making compatibility patches with individual mods I do not have the time/inclination to maintain a patch for any modpacks. I have talked to Ninefinger in the past about him creating a patch under conditions that don't involve him monetizing my work (other people making money off of something I released for free just really rubs me the wrong way) but he said he was not interested due to his own time constraints, which is fair enough really. Maybe things will change once Project Armory has a proper update and I release my own PA patch and/or Ninefinger takes down his donation link but so far neither of us is willing to invest the time and effort required to maintain such a patch and I doubt anyone else would be given the time and effort required.

Quote from: zenfur on September 20, 2015, 05:24:08 AM
In my opinion instead banishing NineFinger (which does lots of work to update other mods everytime new alpha is released) for getting donate button of his own, get donating option yourself! I'd be glad to give you a little something for these awesome mods like combat realism :) I have nothing against modders getting donations for the work they have done. I guess what you have the biggest problem with is the fact that Ninefinger gets such popularity and recognition for mostly aggregating other people's work.

Also maybe you could agree to support compatibility for share of the donations?

While I can't speak for Alistaire, for me this has never been about money. I made this mod because I like playing with it myself and I released it because I thought other people might enjoy it as well. I do not want any money nor do I think monetizing mods in any way, shape or form is a good idea (if you want to know my reasons in detail, I talked about it at length in this thread). As such I certainly do not want to start bickering with Ninefinger over a share of whatever donations he gets, nor do I want a donation link of my own.

I intensely dislike the idea of someone else monetizing work I have released for free and that is the reason why I have originally asked Ninefinger to take down his CR patch, however it is not a blanket ban of him doing so in the way a certain other modder has done. Should Nine end up releasing a CR patch under conditions that don't involve monetizing it I would have no problems with it just as I never had any issues with it before this whole donation affair started.

Pirate

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on September 20, 2015, 05:38:18 AM
While I am not against making compatibility patches with individual mods I do not have the time/inclination to maintain a patch for any modpacks...

Sad to see the root of all evil doing it's thing once again. Thanks for answering though.

FMJ Penguin

Don't think people realize just how many mods are in those compilations. Asking someone to maintain and make compat. their mod for something like  UOM for instance is essentially asking for compatibility with 100+ other mods. Just to put things in perspective for some folks.

So yea, can't blame anyone for not wanting to bother, much less maintain compat. with that many other mods on top of new alpha's resetting the whole process.
Bits & bobs: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/buuxpswcu9rzh3o/AABlRN4f2E4UNfDY8a_RoA6Ea?dl=0 All open source so sell it to Adolf for a new pair of sneaks if you like.
"Curious.... How many credit hours does it take tell you can make a comment like that without laughing uncontrollably at yourself?"

NoImageAvailable

Just a heads up, here's a preview of the next feature I've been working on recently (ignore the numbers, those are just there for debugging purposes):

Fluffy (l2032)

If you ignore the numbers, there's not much to be seen :P