[A13] Combat Realism v.1.6.5 (08.05.16) Final release

Started by NoImageAvailable, January 29, 2015, 12:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoImageAvailable

So I am now officially back from my long Rimworld vacation and development of this mod has resumed once again. As a heads up, here is my current roadmap:

- Version 1.5 will feature a much needed tightening of balance for the existing mechanics including aiming accuracy, armor and suppression as well as miscellaneous other balance adjustments and quality of life improvements. Additionally, it will feature manual hunkering, a new aimed/snapshot mechanic and artillery spotting. It will likely also feature a number of other smaller additions.

It will also feature a rebalance to the health system with the focus moving away from destroyed organs providing instant kills and instead aiming for a "soft kill" system. What that means is that a shot to the heart won't be instantly fatal anymore, but it will cause extreme bleeding to the tune of death within an ingame hour or less. Such wounds would require immediate evacuation and treatment to survive and will be very likely to leave permanent damage.

This is intended to do two things. On one side, add an additional element of tension to gunfights on your own side as you have to choose between maintaining an effective defense or pulling pawns off to cover the evacuation of your wounded. On the other side it should make post-battle clean up more interesting as you have to decide which prisoners are worth taking and which ones to leave behind as you won't be able to provide medical attention to everyone in time.

- Version 1.6 will be focused around introducing a proper ammo system. The details aren't set in stone so far but the idea is to have different ammo types for each weapon with unique properties, e.g. armor-piercing, hollow point, incendiary, etc. It would be managed through a tab similar to the outfit system wherein you can define what types of ammo a pawn should carry and in what quantities (e.g. 200 FMJ bullets, 60 armor-piercing, etc.) with the pawns automatically filling up their stock. Regular small arms ammo would be plentiful, carried in large quantities and easy to acquire while ammo for heavy weapons such as automatic grenade launchers would be more expensive.

The goal here is to provide a balancing mechanism to heavy weapons such as miniguns and grenade launchers by attaching a cost to their employment while keeping micromanagement to a minimum. The player should only ever have to worry about the big picture of making sure his colony is stocked with ammo, never with making sure an individual pawn is adequately supplied (except in special cases, such as running out of ammo mid-battle).

Furthermore this version will feature an overhaul to the grenade system. Instead of being a weapon, grenades will be equipable items pawns carry in their inventory in addition to their main weapon, allowing pawns to carry a main weapon while employing frag/EMP grenades at tactically opportune moments.

- Version 1.7 will focus on AI. Not only will raiders learn to use all of the above additions effectively, it will also overhaul the way raids work. Instead of being random zerg rushes raids will have clearly defined objectives and employ tactics accordingly. A group of tribals might stage a diversionary attack on one front to draw your attention while an infiltration team breaches your perimeter elsewhere and burns down your crops. A group of pirates might deploy a mortar and spotter to provide fire support to an assault force attacking your defences. When faced with a killbox raiders would not rush blindly into a killzone, instead opting to lob grenades from behind the entry way.

It will also feature a leadership system wherein the presence of high-level enemies will enable advanced tactics. A raid consisting of only low level goons would behave much like vanilla, blindly rushing into enemy defences while a raid lead by a pirate boss would employ a vast variety of tactical maneuvers and intelligently use feints, overwatch, suppression, sniping, flanking and heavy weapons to pound you.

After this version is released I will consider this mod to be feature complete. I will no longer work on adding more content and further releases will be to address balancing issues and bugs only. As of right now I have begun work on rebalancing and the aimed/snapshot system and I am currently aiming to release this version sometime late January to early February.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

arl85

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on December 30, 2015, 06:21:04 PM
So I am now officially back from my long Rimworld vacation and development of this mod has resumed once again. As a heads up, here is my current roadmap:

After this version is released I will consider this mod to be feature complete. I will no longer work on adding more content and further releases will be to address balancing issues and bugs only
wow! it sounds very very interesting. Maybe one day it could be integrated in vanilla, would be fantastic!

Not sure if anybody reported it, but I'm unable to see "range circle" of some weapons:
gun is ok, I can see range, but survival rifle has no range displayed.
At first I thought range is bigger than visible area, but then I checked and range is 67 squares, so I expect to see the range circle somewhere.
The same happens with minigun: the "minimum firing distance" circle is visible, but maximum one is hidden.

I tried with just CCL and CR, and eveb restarted the game after enabling mod, but range is still missing.

Another small thing is that it seems (not 100% sure, I just saw it yesterday, but I had several mods active) that artillery shell is craftable both at machining table and the smithing bench

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: arl85 on December 31, 2015, 02:47:05 AM
Not sure if anybody reported it, but I'm unable to see "range circle" of some weapons:
gun is ok, I can see range, but survival rifle has no range displayed.
At first I thought range is bigger than visible area, but then I checked and range is 67 squares, so I expect to see the range circle somewhere.
The same happens with minigun: the "minimum firing distance" circle is visible, but maximum one is hidden.

I tried with just CCL and CR, and eveb restarted the game after enabling mod, but range is still missing.

Another small thing is that it seems (not 100% sure, I just saw it yesterday, but I had several mods active) that artillery shell is craftable both at machining table and the smithing bench

The game is hardcoded not to display circles beyond 50 cells or so. You can see this when adjusting the ingredient search radius on a workbench, if you increase it too far eventually the circle disappears. The artillery shells being craftable from two tables is also a vanilla thing.

RickyMartini

I just wanted to say that I've tried this mod again and again and I was never happy about how the new system handled with other mods. :( If you activate this mod many others they either become too strong or too weak. This is not a criticism, just wanted to say it. Thanks for this awesome mod!!

Grimandevil

Additionally, it will feature manual hunkering, a new aimed/snapshot mechanic
ideally, it would be nice to have a mode switcher like "no fire/snapshot/aimed".
i really feel that there is need for "no shooting" mode for some situations.
welcome to the Rimworld - a world full of cannibal drug-addicted psychos, but free of vegetarians.

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: Grimandevil on January 12, 2016, 02:12:47 PM
Additionally, it will feature manual hunkering, a new aimed/snapshot mechanic
ideally, it would be nice to have a mode switcher like "no fire/snapshot/aimed".
i really feel that there is need for "no shooting" mode for some situations.

The current iteration has a toggle for snapshot burst, aimed burst and aimed single shot but the hold fire toggle is actually a good point. I'll probably add it as a separate toggle to the upcoming release.

Crazytoast42

I can't seem to get this mod to actually work. It says it's incompatible or broken and won't let me activate it. I'm using the /very/ latest version (914) of Rimworld.

What's up?

AllenWL

I like the sound of the 'soft kill' system the most. It was always a thing with me on why most wounds where either instant-death or took days to kill. Plus, the fact that we can have heart transplants at the ready but never actually get to use them.

Though, a question: How are you planning to have pawns choose ammo? Will they do it on their own like use armor-piercing for mechanoids, normal for people, etc?

Also, I was thinking, won't it be cool if bullets could penetrate obstacles? Like, if the bullet is 'powerful' enough and the obstacle is weak enough, the bullet will punch right through it, loosing some velocity on the way though.

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: Crazytoast42 on January 20, 2016, 07:42:11 PM
I can't seem to get this mod to actually work. It says it's incompatible or broken and won't let me activate it. I'm using the /very/ latest version (914) of Rimworld.

What's up?

Go to your Rimworld folder and open Rimworld914Win_Data, post the output_log.txt here.

Quote from: AllenWL on January 21, 2016, 11:46:47 PM
Though, a question: How are you planning to have pawns choose ammo? Will they do it on their own like use armor-piercing for mechanoids, normal for people, etc?

The details of the ammo system aren't all 100% hammered out yet but my first idea would be to make a toggle to  select any of the currently carried ammo types and the pawn will load them on his next reload.

QuoteAlso, I was thinking, won't it be cool if bullets could penetrate obstacles? Like, if the bullet is 'powerful' enough and the obstacle is weak enough, the bullet will punch right through it, loosing some velocity on the way though.

I've had some ideas for a system like that in the past and it would definitely be possible, but never really gave it priority, mainly because it didn't really change much from a gameplay perspective (it would just make the already powerful bullets more powerful and the already good cover like sandbags and chunks more protective). It might make it into the ammo update to add some depth to the ammo and cover systems (i.e. don't use a wooden wall for cover against enemies with penetrating ammo).

Headshotkill

Has anyone actually experimented with manned-turrets, they don't work.

Colonist who man them won't fire at hostiles, tribes people just walk up to it and kill the turret while the someone man's it.

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: Headshotkill on January 22, 2016, 09:55:01 AM

Colonist who man them won't fire at hostiles, tribes people just walk up to it and kill the turret while the someone man's it.

You probably ran into an issue with suppression. Currently, pawns manning a turret will just stand around doing nothing if they get suppressed instead of hunkering. Fixing that bug is on my to-do list for the next release.

Headshotkill

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on January 22, 2016, 11:59:09 AM
Quote from: Headshotkill on January 22, 2016, 09:55:01 AM

You probably ran into an issue with suppression. Currently, pawns manning a turret will just stand around doing nothing if they get suppressed instead of hunkering. Fixing that bug is on my to-do list for the next release.

Good to hear, I'd imagine turrets have a small shield mounted on them to protect the gunner. Otherwise if it was just a gun on a stick you might as well carry like a rifle.

Though I must mention that this same problem happened when a group of tribals, only armed with melee weapons attacked.

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: Headshotkill on January 22, 2016, 12:08:50 PM
Though I must mention that this same problem happened when a group of tribals, only armed with melee weapons attacked.

In that case that sounds like some new bug. Can you post a screenshot of your base layout with some description of the circumstances under which the issue occured?

Entropy147

Question: If limited ammo is introduced will you have to purchase it from a trader or will you be able to craft it?