[A13] Combat Realism v.1.6.5 (08.05.16) Final release

Started by NoImageAvailable, January 29, 2015, 12:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllenWL

I note that a IED doesn't give fragments when it explodes? Or was that because I had mine in a very narrow corner?

WolfgangPolska

I have an errror, i cant  build any turrets, also i cant find  them in help section
I have no idea how, but it works!!!

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: AllenWL on January 30, 2016, 06:22:26 AM
I note that a IED doesn't give fragments when it explodes? Or was that because I had mine in a very narrow corner?

The IED explosion actually works on a completely different principle than weapons, programming wise. I never bothered adding any fragmentation effects mostly because I never use them.

Quote from: WolfgangPolska on February 02, 2016, 02:54:47 AM
I have an errror, i cant  build any turrets, also i cant find  them in help section

Working as intended, see the bottom of the feature list.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

WolfgangPolska

OK, but can you bring trenches back? Or it is impossible in alpha 12?
I have no idea how, but it works!!!

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: WolfgangPolska on February 02, 2016, 04:41:10 AM
OK, but can you bring trenches back? Or it is impossible in alpha 12?

It is possible but it would require some extra code additions to the aiming system that may or may not make it into the next update (depends mostly on how long its going to take to finish XCOM 2).

Grimandevil

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on February 02, 2016, 03:39:07 AM
I note that a IED doesn't give fragments when it explodes?
The IED explosion actually works on a completely different principle than weapons, programming wise. I never bothered adding any fragmentation effects mostly because I never use them.
u can lay some shells around it, with IED acting as a primer, for the desired result ;)
welcome to the Rimworld - a world full of cannibal drug-addicted psychos, but free of vegetarians.

AllenWL

Quote from: Grimandevil on February 03, 2016, 02:35:05 PM
Quote from: NoImageAvailable on February 02, 2016, 03:39:07 AM
I note that a IED doesn't give fragments when it explodes?
u can lay some shells around it, with IED acting as a primer, for the desired result ;)
Shells deteriorate, plus spending a extra 10 steel isn't really something I want to do. And then there is the hassle of amount and dragging them back and all that.
I thought about placing them in places to take out so I could take out multiple enemies at once, but I guess I could just use a mortar.

Grimandevil

somehow i thought, shell explosion gives fragments, but it doesnt. nevermind then.
welcome to the Rimworld - a world full of cannibal drug-addicted psychos, but free of vegetarians.

AllenWL

This might be a silly question, but what does combat realism do for melee combat? I mean, there are tons of ranged-weapon things, but what about the melee weapons? I can't see much of a difference between vanilla melee combat and combat realism melee combat.

Edit: Also, I note bows don't have ammo?

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: AllenWL on February 06, 2016, 06:36:59 AM
This might be a silly question, but what does combat realism do for melee combat? I mean, there are tons of ranged-weapon things, but what about the melee weapons? I can't see much of a difference between vanilla melee combat and combat realism melee combat.

So far melee is only affected through some minor cooldown and damage changes and it takes advantage of the armor penetration system but not much else beyond. Next version features some additions like parry/dodge chance depending on melee skill and more accurate body height detection (so no more getting your nose bitten off by a tortoise) but that's about it. Frankly, I've been having trouble finding a niche for melee to exist in. It doesn't do anything a shotgun or SMG couldn't do just as well or better, so it kinda ends up obsolete as soon as you have proper firearms.

Bows used to have ammo at some point but I removed it because it didn't really make sense. They'd just reload after every shot and spam the reloaded mote over and over and you can't really keep a bow "loaded" to begin with.

LittleGreenStone

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on February 07, 2016, 03:45:55 AM

So far melee is only affected through some minor cooldown and damage changes and it takes advantage of the armor penetration system but not much else beyond. Next version features some additions like parry/dodge chance depending on melee skill and more accurate body height detection (so no more getting your nose bitten off by a tortoise) but that's about it. Frankly, I've been having trouble finding a niche for melee to exist in. It doesn't do anything a shotgun or SMG couldn't do just as well or better, so it kinda ends up obsolete as soon as you have proper firearms.

Bows used to have ammo at some point but I removed it because it didn't really make sense. They'd just reload after every shot and spam the reloaded mote over and over and you can't really keep a bow "loaded" to begin with.

Bows aside, I find melee weapons extremely useful.
Combined with other elements (including a mod that adds a solid shield), but still...
Enemies who think it's a good idea to drop right on top of my little colony, including centipedes, get their balls handed over to them by my melee units (with their army of animals).
Forcing ranged units into melee combat where they're clearly inferior, preventing them to use their OP realistic firearms, it's just extremely useful.
More than if I had those colonists equipped with the best legendary weapons.

Not kidding, 3 of my colonists with maces bashed two centipedes to death far more quickly than 8 of my colonists equipped with sniper/assault rifles did, without taking casualties.
...That is, if I don't count the ~2-3 dead boars a centipede squashed while they were keeping it occupied. But no colonists (or furniture) was lost! Pinky swear!  ;D

AllenWL

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on February 07, 2016, 03:45:55 AM

Like stated, I find melee a great thing to use if
1: You don't mind loosing some people
2: Have loads of troops(mostly animals)
3: Have good cover
Seriously. A melee unit behind cover can leap out and pretty much slaughter any gunner that gets near. And I'll say this. A shotgun SMG might be better if you have to run at them from the very edge of their range, but if run in while they're reloading, or ambush them, melee is defiantly superior.
Of course one of the problems in melee is that it's still bit of a hit-and-miss, so your soldiers usually end up with bruises all over unless the get one-hit-kills every time.

You can't keep a bow loaded but you can keep a quiver loaded... which is still rather redundant because you can't actually reload a quiver. Well, you can, but you just don't carry arrows to do so.

Boston

Quick question.

Is it possible for something like a blackpowder musket to be implemented? Something like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_Bess

I have been looking at a musket mod for Rimworld before, but most of them are several Alphas old at this point.

AllenWL

This is kinda random, but won't it be cool if arrows could switch between straight shooting, like guns, and a overhead shooting, like mortars?

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: Boston on February 09, 2016, 01:58:28 PM
Quick question.

Is it possible for something like a blackpowder musket to be implemented? Something like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_Bess

I have been looking at a musket mod for Rimworld before, but most of them are several Alphas old at this point.

I'm not sure what your question here is. If you're asking me about whether blackpowder firearms can be implement in this mod's framework then yes, they're no different from regular firearms in that regard. If you're asking me whether I can add actual muskets to this mod directly then no, this is primarily a balance mod, not a gun mod and I try to avoid feature creep as much as possible.

Quote from: AllenWL on February 11, 2016, 11:15:07 PM
This is kinda random, but won't it be cool if arrows could switch between straight shooting, like guns, and a overhead shooting, like mortars?

I actually had a debate on that subject not too long ago but in the context of throwing grenades over walls. It is possible to implement but I'm not too big on the idea because it would a) be a niche case (how often are you fighting enemies a few tiles out from a wall with no roof above either you or the enemy? Only time I can think of is breaching ancient ruins) and b) it relies heavily on the fact the game has no FoW so you could throw grenades/pila/arrows at enemies you realistically would have no way of knowing are there. Hence I'm not too keen on the idea.