[A13] Combat Realism v.1.6.5 (08.05.16) Final release

Started by NoImageAvailable, January 29, 2015, 12:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: SwiftShadow on March 21, 2016, 06:37:24 PM
ok after the restart it wont let me activate your mods at all, says recovered from incompliteble mod errors and disables them all.

my activate order was

1 Core
2 Community core library - Vanilla Tweaks
3 Community core library v0.12.6
4 Combat realism core
5 Comnat realism defence pack

and i cant attach the file it is too large, it is 776 kb, but the max forums let is 600 kb

CCL Vanilla Tweaks must be placed below CCL. Also I went ahead and tested it and yes, its a case of not restarting after changing the mod order.

Rimworld has a well-known issue where any time you open up the mod menu it'll cause random issues ingame. The only fix is to restart the game every time you open the mod menu.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

SwiftShadow

yea i figured the order out already, and also started the game as admin which fixed the whole it saying the mods are incompatible and it loads them.
But i still dont see any of that ammo reloading or research.

After i removed the Community Core Library - Vanilla Tweaks from the load mod lists and only did.

1. Core
2. Community Core Library -
3. Realsim
4. Defence pack

with that mod order research options came back and the colonists have the reload icons and stuff.
However when i went to security tab it now has bobwire, but doesn't have turrets anymore?

Also does the defence pack make the game to easy? Dont really want to lose the vanilla difficulty.
Like i noticed it has walls that u can shoot through, dont that make sandbags totally useless?

Mrshilka

Quote from: SwiftShadow on March 21, 2016, 06:49:11 PM
yea i figured the order out already, and also started the game as admin which fixed the whole it saying the mods are incompatible and it loads them.

After i removed the Community Core Library - Vanilla Tweaks from the load mod lists and only did.

1. Core
3. Realsim
4. Defence pack

with that mod order research options came back and the colonists have the reload icons and stuff.
However when i went to security tab it now has bobwire, but doesn't have turrets anymore?

Also does the defence pack make the game to easy? Dont really want to lose the vanilla difficulty.
Like i noticed it has walls that u can shoot through, dont that make sandbags totally useless?

Against the tiny vanilla raids yes , these defence increases will make lift alot easier, however if your playing with mods that increase colony wealth greatly then these will give you a fighting chance when raids of 50+ become normal.

SwiftShadow

Quote from: Mrshilka on March 21, 2016, 11:04:02 PM
Quote from: SwiftShadow on March 21, 2016, 06:49:11 PM

1. Core
3. Realsim
4. Defence pack

Against the tiny vanilla raids yes , these defence increases will make lift alot easier, however if your playing with mods that increase colony wealth greatly then these will give you a fighting chance when raids of 50+ become normal.
\

so it would prolly be better to play with out the defence mod added

Valarsul

(shameless pandering)

Thanks for the great mod, Image.

roy2x

Has anyone ever thought about allowing pawns to equip small weapons like daggers along with guns?

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: roy2x on March 22, 2016, 09:37:40 PM
Has anyone ever thought about allowing pawns to equip small weapons like daggers along with guns?

Its a common idea actually and incidentally what I am working on right now. Next CR release will feature a proper inventory system based around item weight and bulk, as well as a fully fledged ammo system. You'll be able to carry various sidearms if you want to, however it will also mean carrying less ammo, grenades and other things into battle.

AllenWL

I guess next update, I'll actually start having to build little shacks/huts where my pawns can run off to grab ammo/grenades/etc during/before fights rather then have every combat thing ever in whatever storage area I have.

Also, there where comments on various things about the updade, but the 'update' post only talks about the mortar and firing modes. Are those it, or are there other content in the update(like the mechanoid rebalance thing?)

NoImageAvailable

The Update post only explains the new mechanical additions, for a more complete changelog see the release page on github.

rtmdchnk

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on March 23, 2016, 05:21:22 AM

Its a common idea actually and incidentally what I am working on right now. Next CR release will feature a proper inventory system based around item weight and bulk, as well as a fully fledged ammo system. You'll be able to carry various sidearms if you want to, however it will also mean carrying less ammo, grenades and other things into battle.
Wow, cant wait for it.
Thought about that few days ago, because bring melee fighters through all map is annoying.
Also - what is - <recoilOffsetX>(0.0, 0.50)</recoilOffsetX>
            <recoilOffsetY>(0.0, 0.19)</recoilOffsetY>
Something with fire spreading? So what is X and where is Y?

Frug

How exactly do the binoculars work? I draft a colonist who has the binoculars equipped, and tell them to mark a target. A small red crosshair appears where the target was at the time of the marking, but the mortar shell trajectories don't really change much, they're equally random, even after marking. Am I doing something wrong?

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: rtmdchnk on March 23, 2016, 03:10:00 PM
Also - what is - <recoilOffsetX>(0.0, 0.50)</recoilOffsetX>
            <recoilOffsetY>(0.0, 0.19)</recoilOffsetY>
Something with fire spreading? So what is X and where is Y?

It determines recoil patterns. In this case it means recoil will shift the target 0-0.5 degrees on the x axis and 0-0.19 degrees on the y axis.

Quote from: Frug on March 24, 2016, 07:43:39 PM
How exactly do the binoculars work? I draft a colonist who has the binoculars equipped, and tell them to mark a target. A small red crosshair appears where the target was at the time of the marking, but the mortar shell trajectories don't really change much, they're equally random, even after marking. Am I doing something wrong?

You're probably using the gizmo button to designate targets. This will tell your spotter to mark the cell, rather than the pawn you click. To target a pawn right-click it and use the fire at command. For the mortar you have to use the forced target button and set it to attack the pawn/cell that has been marked and it should have its accuracy improved.

NoImageAvailable

With the ongoing work on the ammo system I am currently contemplating two different designs:

One is to use in-depth ammo calibers so every weapon would use its corresponding real world caliber. For example an AK-74 would use 5.45mm Soviet bullets whereas the M-16 would require 5.56mm NATO. The other system would be general types of caliber for each class of weapon, so the AK-74 and M-16 would both use small rifle ammo whereas a sniper rifle would use large rifle ammo.

For normal vanilla gameplay the difference would be negligible due to the low weapon count. It would only start coming into play in combination with weapon mods that add more gun types to the game, in which case the detailed system would provide an element of logistics. That is, you could equip your pawns with a mix of AK's and M-16's but it would mean more hassle managing your ammo stockpiles so you'd be encouraged to limit yourself to weapons using the same ammo types. The generic system would be more streamlined and allow employing a larger variety of guns without having to consider logistics.

As I am currently undecided on the matter I've created a strawpoll where people can vote on their own preference so I can get an idea of where everyone stands.

falconbunker

Can you add a option so as to enable or disable ammunition? Maybe when you are creating a new colony? If not, ok.

AllenWL

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on March 25, 2016, 07:34:45 AM
That is, you could equip your pawns with a mix of AK's and M-16's but it would mean more hassle managing your ammo stockpiles so you'd be encouraged to limit yourself to weapons using the same ammo types. The generic system would be more streamlined and allow employing a larger variety of guns without having to consider logistics.
I think it would have the opposite effect. The generic ammo system would allow you to just stick with one type of gun, but the specific ammo system would force you to get a larger verity of weapons.

The reason I think this will happen is thus:
A genetic system means a single 'rifle bullet' works for all rifles. While this does indeed mean you can get more rifles of different type, it also means you can just stick with rifles of one type-after all, any rifle ammo you find will work.

However, on the individual ammo system, you'll have to stock up on weapons and ammo of all types, or risk running out. Why? Because there's no grantee the next combat trader or pirate merchant or whoever will have the ammo you need. If you stick with just 'rifle A', you'll need 'rifle ammo A' to use all your rifles, meaning it's a lot easier to run out.
Instead, you'll need to stock up on more types of rifles, so when a trader or drop pod comes with rifle ammo, there is a higher chance that one of your guns can use it, and therefor a higher chance that you'll be amble to replenish ammo on a gun. You'll need to get a verity of guns to make sure at least one type of ammo fits a gun you have.

This means with the individual ammo system, you'll need a bigger selection of guns, not a smaller one.
Either that, or you'll have to use melee weapons when ammo runs out.

I suppose you can do something like having ammo for a few simple guns(or bows) be craftable, so you can have at least some guns(bows) with ammo while having to stock up on rarer types, which would make sticking to a single gun type be more viable to individual ammo, but otherwise, you'll need to stock up on lots of different weapons.

Though, I suppose that won't be too bad either. It'll make buying weapons more than just 'how good is this'. You'll also have to consider how much ammo you have for it, how easily you can get ammo for it, if a slightly worse gun that uses an ammo you have lots of would be better, if you'll just be better off getting lots of ammo for a gun you have, and more.