[A13] Combat Realism v.1.6.5 (08.05.16) Final release

Started by NoImageAvailable, January 29, 2015, 12:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllenWL

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on April 11, 2016, 02:52:21 PM
Quote from: igz33 on April 11, 2016, 01:22:42 PM
Would it be possible for a colonist and raider to carry both, a range weapon and a melee weapon?

Next release will feature a fully-fledged inventory system which let's you carry any combination of items you want with move-/workspeed penalties depending on the weight/bulk of items carried.

Quote from: hwoo on April 11, 2016, 02:23:55 PM
So untill CCL is updated none of these work with the current alpha?

Good news, I just received a test build for CCL from the author and can begin work on making the mod A13 compatible. Not much changed on a glance but I was still in the process of putting some finishing touches on the new mechanics, so it could probably be ready in a week or so, depending on how fast my artists can finish the new artwork.

Bad news, Dark Souls 3 releases tomorrow and depending on how good it is it may delay release by a significant amount of time.
So, good news, NoImageAvailable(who surprisingly, has a image!) gets to play a newly released game, better news a CR update will follow in a few weeks?

NoImageAvailable

So I finished updating my codebase to A13 only to run into a stone wall: with A13 Tynan and Ison decided to make mods load in a separate thread from the main game. This has introduced a number of major issues for modders. In my case I have run into an extremely obscure bug that neither I nor any of the modders I talked to have any idea how to fix. This means any time CR is loaded it crashes the game due to threading issues and I can't even begin to track down the source of this bug. None of the known solutions and workarounds worked.

This fact, combined with some generally unpleasant behavior from the devs towards the modding community, part of which lead to the introduction of this threading issue in the first place, made me decide to cease all development of this mod and permanently leave Rimworld modding.

That is all.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

brucethemoose

/drama

At least the source is on Github. Someone else could potentially pick up the torch.

AseaHeru

NoImageAvailable

Just to clarify a bit: this is not a matter of someone "picking up the torch" but of the mod simply not working with the game. I can't run the game with the mod and I can't track down the source of the bug. And unless somebody else does manage to fix it nobody will be able to keep developing this, it is simply a matter of it not being technically possible.

There is the possibility that the issue will be fixed in a month or two for A14, but considering how stuff like the mod menu bug is still around after god knows how many alphas I wouldn't bet on that. Furthermore, due to RL issues I won't be around in 2 months time anyways, which is why I was planning to add a few last features for A13 and then pass maintenance to someone else. However, since I can't continue development that plan fell through.

skullywag

noimageavailable, please see:

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=18887.0

I think i figured out your issue, ive definitley managed to stop the main error you were seeing.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

eatKenny

hope this mod lives on, sad to see such a good mod got abandoned when the vanilla game is getting really good.

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: skullywag on April 14, 2016, 05:04:11 PM
noimageavailable, please see:

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=18887.0

I think i figured out your issue, ive definitley managed to stop the main error you were seeing.

I'll have a look at that and see if this'll work. If I don't run into any more mod-breaking issues development will resume.

Goldenpotatoes

This is a roller-coaster of emotions and I can't take it anymore.

NoImageAvailable

So here's the summary of the current situation:

The issue that has been stonewalling me the last two days appears to have been resolved. We're still not 100% sure what was causing it but it works now so that's good enough for me.

That said, I am still leaving. Most of it is behind the scenes stuff that isn't really apparent from the outside, but most modders can attest to a number of frustrating issues with Rimworld modding in general and with recent IRL issues the added stress is just not something I need right now, which is why I've made the decision to leave a while ago now.

Since I know this mod has a fairly large user base I want to add a few more features along with A13 compatibility before I go. Right now it looks like there will be two more updates, one for the inventory and ammo system followed by an update to the melee, animal combat and suppression system. After that someone else will have to carry on updating this mod to future alphas.

akiceabear

Really looking forward to the A13 version, as it breathed new life into the game in past alphas, but also can imagine the frustration with constant changes that impact your (volunteer) mod. Hope someone can pick up the torch when you finish - or that the vanilla code stabilizes!

NoImageAvailable

On to more pleasant topics, after wading through a litany of errors I finally managed to return to the point I was pre-A13 and am now able to make some actual progress again. Meanwhile, afriend has been working hard on providing stack graphics for all the different ammo types, with distinct shapes and coloring schemes to allow players to easily identify the general type of ammo on a glance. Here are some of the various ammo types that were implemented today:

Top row: Charged ammo (comes in regular, concentrated and EMP variants), pistol and rifle ammo (both in FMJ, armor-piercing and hollow-point varieties)

Bottom row: High caliber ammo (FMJ, Sabot, HE and Incendiary), shotgun shells (buckshot, slugs, beanbags, EMP slugs, there is also a birdshot variety which is not in this picture)

hwoo

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on April 15, 2016, 02:36:41 PM
On to more pleasant topics, after wading through a litany of errors I finally managed to return to the point I was pre-A13 and am now able to make some actual progress again. Meanwhile, afriend has been working hard on providing stack graphics for all the different ammo types, with distinct shapes and coloring schemes to allow players to easily identify the general type of ammo on a glance. Here are some of the various ammo types that were implemented today:

Top row: Charged ammo (comes in regular, concentrated and EMP variants), pistol and rifle ammo (both in FMJ, armor-piercing and hollow-point varieties)

Bottom row: High caliber ammo (FMJ, Sabot, HE and Incendiary), shotgun shells (buckshot, slugs, beanbags, EMP slugs, there is also a birdshot variety which is not in this picture)

That looks awesome man! It's such a shame to hear that your leaving. I wish that wasn't the case as your stuff is quality but whatever best for you my friend.

Question: does the beanbag only cause incaps or does it have the chance of killing?

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: hwoo on April 15, 2016, 02:50:04 PM
Question: does the beanbag only cause incaps or does it have the chance of killing?

Currently the plan is that it will do a small amount of blunt damage, enough to shoot out an eye with a direct hit and maybe break a rib or two, but not enough to kill and completely ineffective against armor. In addition it will cause a hediff to build up (same principle as toxic buildup) which will give penalties to movement and manipulation, if it goes high enough the pawn can't move and temporarily goes down for capture.

The beanbags themselves will have pretty poor accuracy so they're only useful at very close range but they should allow for a good way to break up social fights and subdue berserking pawns or unarmored raiders for capture.