[A13] Combat Realism v.1.6.5 (08.05.16) Final release

Started by NoImageAvailable, January 29, 2015, 12:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admiralKew

I know. But doesn't it seem rather strange that a two-bit machinist immediately knows how to make a perfectly functioning assault rifle upon unlocking the machining table? Sure a 20, or even 10 skill crafter could know how to make one, but even they'd need to have blueprints and exact specifications to make sure things would work perfectly.

I suppose this blueprints idea would work more as an addon to overhaul the preparing part of getting into combat. Armor could also get the same treatment. Blueprints could also be bought from traders.

Krutchen

Quote from: admiralKew on May 03, 2016, 11:07:19 PM
I know. But doesn't it seem rather strange that a two-bit machinist immediately knows how to make a perfectly functioning assault rifle upon unlocking the machining table? Sure a 20, or even 10 skill crafter could know how to make one, but even they'd need to have blueprints and exact specifications to make sure things would work perfectly.

I suppose this blueprints idea would work more as an addon to overhaul the preparing part of getting into combat. Armor could also get the same treatment. Blueprints could also be bought from traders.

I'm kind of working on a tech tree mod that will tie into CR and incorporate a few other mods to address the issue of people knowing way too many things right off the get go. Trees for Metalworking, Armouring, and Weapon smithing will be included.

I think making blueprints would be an awesome method of balancing gun creation as well though, but I was thinking more along the lines of a blueprint unlocking the crafting instead of being a required item, although the latter mechanic is drastically simpler to implement.
Maybe, though, both could be implemented. Researching the blueprints to actually "learn" them would consume said blueprints.

After unlocking firearm machining, you could make a few rather simple weapons, starting with pipe guns and maybe a grease gun, but for more advanced weapons you'd need to put some work into acquiring one and learning how to make it.

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: AllenWL on May 03, 2016, 08:02:59 PM
The thing is, vanilla bullets have poor armor penetration, even if they happen to be AP rounds.

To expand on this point, here is a nice comparison of bullet sizes:

Going from left to right you have ammo for the assault rifle (M16), AK47, LMG & sniper rifle, survival rifle and that's where it stops for Rimworld guns. If you go further right you have the .50cal (the anti-materiel rifles from Rimfire use that), 14.5mm (WWII anti-tank cartridge, the KPV and heavy turret from the defence pack use those). In terms of man-portable guns capable of putting a dent into armored vehicles those two calibers are about it. The stuff to the right is pretty much exclusive to vehicle-mounted machine cannons and only to be found on aircraft, IFV's, warships, etc.

Centipedes have equivalent protection to a normal quality power armor. In terms of vanilla guns nothing short of charge rifles will even dent that. The issue simply boils down to the vanilla game being fine with throwing the equivalent of a future IFV at you in a game with virtually no anti-tank weapons because armor is meaningless. Your pea-shooters can still whittle down any armor the same way pawns can punch down a solid brick wall with their bare fists.

One of the main reasons I'm doing a defence and weapon pack is specifically to add some much-needed anti-tank weapons. CR Defence already includes a heavy auto-turret and the KPV machine gun firing aforementioned 14.5mm ammo which can punch through light vehicle armor, as well as a flak gun which essentially acts like a direct fire mortar. The weapon pack will include both an M72 disposable AT rocket launcher and an RPG-7 for a reusable anti-tank option. Alternatively there are always other gun mods like Rimfire which adds anti-materiel rifles.

With any of these installed Centipedes become much more manageable, especially once you factor in EMP grenades which anyone can carry one or two off. At that point it becomes a game of hitting the Centipede with EMP, be it from a mortar, flak gun or by ambushing it with a grenade, then taking it down with your AT weapon. Additionally, I'll have a look into the whole sight issue. It doesn't really make sense that vanilla lets pawns shoot with no eyesight so I'll have to correct that one.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

kimx1636

NoImageAvailable. I have a couple of questions about the mod since I've been using it for a little while.

1. I can't build turrets from the security, which makes sense since you moved them to the machining table, BUT. I can't find them at the machining table either. Meaning I have no way to build a turret for colony defense. I can still make all the guns and all the ammunition, just no turrets.

2. When my pawns run out of ammunition, they unequip their weapon into the gear, meaning I constantly have to re-equip my hunters whenever they have used their ammunition.

Any suggestions?

Krutchen

Quote from: kimx1636 on May 04, 2016, 09:21:21 AM
NoImageAvailable. I have a couple of questions about the mod since I've been using it for a little while.

1. I can't build turrets from the security, which makes sense since you moved them to the machining table, BUT. I can't find them at the machining table either. Meaning I have no way to build a turret for colony defense. I can still make all the guns and all the ammunition, just no turrets.

Turrets were temporarily disabled until NoImage could finish them up and make them use ammunition. They will be re-enabled when they're ready.

dareddevil7

20mm cannon, depleted uranium rounds, cannon has to be set up before it can start shooting, looking kinda like this http://youtu.be/V8FzzEyegJQ is what we need for centipedes.

katjezz

dareddevil7

Quote from: katjezz on May 04, 2016, 09:46:45 AM
i assume there is no Rimsenal Patch?
There is not, but if you've just started with rimworld, don't go for CR right away

Commander Beanbag

Dunno if this is fixed in the dev build but my colonist lost a leg and thus had no carry weight capacity, causing the bar to freak out:

It happens in the pawn gear tab as well.

Fluffy (l2032)

heh, I suppose divide by zero is still a thing. I'll have a looksie.

NoImageAvailable

Just a quick progress update, turrets are pretty much fully functional, both the automated and manned variants. There are a few kinks left but nothing gamebreaking. Since then I have been working on fixing a number of other outstanding issues to bring the mod up to snuff for the full release:

For one, the loadout AI has been greatly expanded. Pawns will actively drop anything not part of their current loadout including equipped weapons. On the other hand, they act smarter about picking things up now. They will prioritize filling up whenever they're near the thing they need or are below 50% of their wanted stock. Otherwise they will prioritize other things such as working, getting joy, etc. depending on their time schedule. Automatic food packing has been disabled, instead they will pick up food as part of their loadout only when in close proximity. While it is no longer possible to quickly tell a pawn manually to pick something up to make it part of their loadout (it still works if you draft them though) the loadout system is now a true catch-all system to control everything that goes into your pawns' inventory.

An outstanding issue with trade prices has been fixed. The vanilla game has an issue where trade prices are rounded normal and buying prices are capped at $0.50. This meant on one hand that most smaller bullets had 50 times the price they were supposed to have, on the other hand bullets with prices of e.g. $1.25 could be gotten cheaper if you bought them individually since the price of $1.25 would be rounded down to $1 for each bullet. Now trade prices are uncapped and rounding always happens in favor of the trader. So if you buy a bullet worth $0.01 it is rounded up to $1, if you sell a bullet worth $0.01 the price is rounded down to $0. This way there can be proper bullet prices without silly exploits about getting ammo for free if you bought it 6 bullets at a time.

As it stands there are only one or two outstanding issues waiting to be fixed, most prominently the issue where selling to trade caravans makes them go over their inventory limit and they drop the items you just sold them. After that is dealt with I'll put out the last pre-release build. After that I'll make one more update to bring the melee system up to snuff and that'll be the full-fledged A13 release as well as my last update before I cease development.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

porcupine

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on May 04, 2016, 03:09:00 PM
After that I'll make one more update to bring the melee system up to snuff and that'll be the full-fledged A13 release as well as my last update before I cease development.

That sounds ominous!

deathstar

Quick question: I'm looking to run CR for the first time, but I'm not sure if it is working correctly. I tried equipping a rifle, but I have no indicator as to how much ammo I have. No reload-button either (was it removed?). Accessing the rifle's information does reveal new stuff (firemodes, magazine size), is it working as intended?

I'm running no mods what-so-ever aside from CCL, mod order and CR (in that order).

Alistaire

1) restart your game after opening the mod activation menu,
2) if that doesn't work, EdB mod order may interfere with CR or CCL - this has been reported before.

Galvenox

Quote from: deathstar on May 04, 2016, 03:48:37 PM
Quick question: I'm looking to run CR for the first time, but I'm not sure if it is working correctly. I tried equipping a rifle, but I have no indicator as to how much ammo I have. No reload-button either (was it removed?). Accessing the rifle's information does reveal new stuff (firemodes, magazine size), is it working as intended?

I'm running no mods what-so-ever aside from CCL, mod order and CR (in that order).

had the same problem, check your load order of mods, CCL should be right after Core, always second. always.