[A13] Combat Realism v.1.6.5 (08.05.16) Final release

Started by NoImageAvailable, January 29, 2015, 12:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldenpotatoes

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on May 05, 2016, 09:08:36 AM

The armor penetration is to keep them at least marginally relevant later on in the game. Their armor is weak and their weapons have an extremely low rate of fire, armor penetration is literally all they have going for them. Once you get a decent assortment of heavy weapons Scythers turn into pure chaff, if I made their weapons so weak they couldn't even pierce normal quality power armor they would be no threat at all. Their hits are weak enough that they're very unlikely to kill, especially in one shot, but as long as they can hurt you through armor they remain a factor on the battlefield.

Best strategy against sythers is going full nude with AP rounds, got it

25wes25

I've found Ion Charges for charge rifles with burst or auto the absolute best weapon against scythers. Charge rifles are love, charge rifles are life. I usually just blow centipedes to hell with HEAT rounds from my RPG.

Helixien

Quote from: Colonist51 on May 05, 2016, 08:50:04 AM
Quote from: iWilliBlecha on May 05, 2016, 05:02:18 AM
Yeah, I tried everything and so far I dont get any buttons to reload or anything. CCL is right after core and CR right after that. I dont know why but yeah, it just wont work for me.

Try the following steps, it worked for me:

1. Disable all mods
2. Reload the game.
3. Enable CCL and CR.
4. Reload the game.
5. Create a new world, start a colony, check if you can reload the guns. If yes, follow the next step. If not, reinstall your game and do steps 3-5, this should certainly work.
6. Enable your other mods one at a time and reload the game after enabling each mod.
7. Create a new world, start a colony, check if you can reload the guns. If yes, follow the next step. If not, well, I guess there's an incompatibility between CR and one of the mods. In which case, you would have to find out which mod is causing that.
8. ????????
9. Profit!

If this works, I think you would have to start a new colony all over again though.

Tried that. Even with just CCL and CR, I doesnt work at all. I downloaded the whole game again and made sure it has a clean start, but still nothing...

dareddevil7

Quote from: Grizzlyadamz on May 05, 2016, 11:27:34 AM

-edit
Oh hey forgot to mention:
Quote from: Grizzlyadamz on May 04, 2016, 05:41:06 PM
I'm sure this gets asked all the time but: what other mods does everyone use in conjuction with this?
Quote from: RepliesRimfire
Y'know, after looking around, I think I might prefer the look & selection of HighCaliber. More iconic, easily-discerned weapons, and all of it's 'modern' stuff. No WWI top-fed antiques.
Unless the sounds are as obnoxious as in their YT video.
Man I need to get playtesting.
What about the sounds make them obnoxious? The mod was originally accurate gun sounds.

jackarbiter

Quote from: iWilliBlecha on May 05, 2016, 12:04:09 PM
Tried that. Even with just CCL and CR, I doesnt work at all. I downloaded the whole game again and made sure it has a clean start, but still nothing...

At this point you should probably post an error log (not a screenshot, the actual log).
Arbitration - One-folder modpack, marathon overhaul, working vehicles

Grizzlyadamz

Quote from: dareddevil7 on May 05, 2016, 12:12:18 PM
What about the sounds make them obnoxious? The mod was originally accurate gun sounds.

At least in the YT video, they seemed quite a bit louder than the vanilla sounds- you could hardly hear the charge rifles next to the cacaphony of conventional gunfire.

dareddevil7

Quote from: Grizzlyadamz on May 05, 2016, 02:02:06 PM
Quote from: dareddevil7 on May 05, 2016, 12:12:18 PM
At least in the YT video, they seemed quite a bit louder than the vanilla sounds- you could hardly hear the charge rifles next to the cacaphony of conventional gunfire.
Source
Rifle, .223
dB Peak
155 dB
Distance
from Source
at shooter's ear
--------------------
Source
Chopping firewood
dB Peak
78 dB
--------------------
In conclusion, gunfire is very loud, far louder than a tree being chopped down.

Supershark88

Quick question that hopefully someone can answer: How do you get more ammo for your guns? I ran out of ammo pretty quickly and killed some raiders, but how do I get more ammo for my guns?

Galvenox

Quote from: Supershark88 on May 05, 2016, 05:43:16 PM
Quick question that hopefully someone can answer: How do you get more ammo for your guns? I ran out of ammo pretty quickly and killed some raiders, but how do I get more ammo for my guns?

you can craft it at machining table. but if you killed some raiders, they should drop some ammo, unless all of them were melee.

Grizzlyadamz

Hmm, hey, does this mod ascribe armor-penetration to non-AP 5.7x28 ammo?
Thinking about HC & the 5.7 weapons they have- the P90 should be able to defeat kevlar vests, but if the 5-7 pistol has any special properties that would be a mistake. If that's the case, I wonder if it would be best corrected through the ammo's properties or those of the pistol.

@daredevil
Eh I'm not a fan of the 'realism'. It just drowns everything out, sounds overblown.
I'll probably just deal with it though.

@supershark
I think you can craft it, somehow.

dareddevil7

Quote from: Grizzlyadamz on May 05, 2016, 05:57:32 PM
@daredevil
Eh I'm not a fan of the 'realism'. It just drowns everything out, sounds overblown.
I'll probably just deal with it though.
The mod these posts are on is combat realism, high caliber was originally realistic gun sounds

NoImageAvailable

Update 1.6.4 is now available, along with the latest version of CR Defence. Loadout AI has been overhauled, pawns will now aggressively unequip anything not part of their loadout so if you want to manually tell them to pick something up you should keep in mind that you'll have to draft your colonist first because as soon as they're undrafted they'll start removing the excess items they just picked up. Overall this means pretty much all inventory management happens through loadouts now, guns will be equipped and unequipped as needed and automatic meal pickups have been disabled so if you want your pawns to carry extra meals you need to make them part of their loadout. Let me know how the new system is for management.

Turrets have been integrated with both the ammo system and the aim mode system. Manned turrets from the Defence Pack can switch between all the fire and aim modes available to regular weapons and all turrets can utilize the new ammo types. For mortars this means instead of having three mortars using the same ammo you now have one mortar using three different types of ammo. Auto-turrets need to be reloaded by haulers, which will happen automatically whenever a turret hasn't fired in a while or when very low on ammo. While auto-turrets can't use any fire modes other than full-auto aimed shots you can use the aim mode button to toggle hold fire mode to prevent friendly fire accidents. In addition, auto-turrets have been given the manual targeting command back.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

AllenWL

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on May 05, 2016, 09:08:36 AM
It sounds like a combination of bad luck and wrong tool for the job to me. Scythers don't have half the armor of a Centipede, less than a normal quality steel vest even. Even regular rifle rounds have a very high chance of penetrating. Their durability comes from the fact that since they feel no pain you'll need repeated hits to vital parts to take them down. Even so, any penetration is very likely to hit some internal body part which will quickly erode their effectiveness to nothing.

HEAT warheads are designed to destroy tanks, using them on anything shy of a Centipede is not only overkill, it is ineffective too. An RPG has a very low rate of fire and lackluster accuracy, unless your target is actually the size of a tank your chances of hitting are slim and HEAT only does damage on a direct hit. Against soft targets like Scythers or armored infantry you should either switch to a backup rifle or use thermobarics if they're clustered or in a position with strong cover.

The armor penetration is to keep them at least marginally relevant later on in the game. Their armor is weak and their weapons have an extremely low rate of fire, armor penetration is literally all they have going for them. Once you get a decent assortment of heavy weapons Scythers turn into pure chaff, if I made their weapons so weak they couldn't even pierce normal quality power armor they would be no threat at all. Their hits are weak enough that they're very unlikely to kill, especially in one shot, but as long as they can hurt you through armor they remain a factor on the battlefield.
Huh, maybe I just needed more rifles. Just had one with me at the time.
And I did take care of all but two, so..
Also, I guess they didn't kill anyone, just incapacitate the lot of them.

I feel crash-landing was also to blame a bit, since I had around 30 glitterworld medicen, 40 normal meds, about a dozen prostheses, and so on from crashing ship parts. It's probably the reason why I got so many scythers popping out.

Say, what you consider the best way to get guns and ammo in the start of the game?
Buying them from traders, or looting them from raids?
Edit:
Or just going for the machining table research?

zeppelin17

I've got a bug that I can't make sense of, and it referneces Combat Realism so... figured i'd post it here and maybe you can help?

P.s. you may have to open the first screenshot in a separate tab so you can see the line that's cut off.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

The_Haminator

Thanks so much guys for the work you've put into this mod, it's amazing. Did I read that right though Noimage? you're ceasing development on the mod? Do you mean until another update by Tynan or indefinitely?

Either way nobody could fault you because between Tynan making the game and this amazing community of modders pimping it out to the next level I'm more the happy with all that's available especially as it's still only in Alpha!