[A9] Events from space - Meteors/Meteorites/RazorRain

Started by skullywag, February 01, 2015, 05:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skullywag

Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

skullywag

Small update to tweak the direction of fall, size of trails, and sound delays, let me know if the sounds dont seem right, ive been having some issues with it.

skullywag

shrunk the explosion size after some feedback from the Epokalypse players. Also made the drops forbidden on impact.

CodyRex123

Mod seems awesome, but i don't wanna get trolled from space like what happens with the Crashlanding mod..
Dragons!

skullywag

it happens currently as frequently as the crashed ship event, ive toned it down slightly for the next release.

ekimovyura

skullywag

Palladine

I just started playing with this mod a few days ago. When I got my first meteors and saw that they could be deconstructed, I thought I could take them down and reinstall them as a sculpture-type thing, which would've be cool. Sadly, deconstructing a meteor only seems to make it disappear without giving you anything. I guess you're only supposed to mine it? :(

Anyways, good mod. My favorite part is that they set everything on fire when they first fall from the sky; kinda adds an element of danger to it. Are other space events in the works?

skullywag

yeah I spotted that, its fixed for the next version. This mod also has razor rain. My purple ivy mod (in another thread for Alpha 7) is updated im just adding a couple of things and will probably re-release it here for Alpha 10. I do plan on doing more events, from space and otherwise.

rexx1888

so, i was really excited when i got a meteor shower. twas rad... until the meteors learned to phase through matter and started splattering my colonists inside their mountain bomb shelter...

so i looked into why that was possible.. and the meteors are buildings not bullets? was there a reason to not build their code like the artillery shells, or is it just accidental... id like the ability to actually hide from a meteor shower so if there isnt an issue i can just fiddle with them :)

skullywag

Its a bug. Fixed for A10.

The only thing that is a building is the meteor itself once its landed which is the only way you be able to mine it. The incoming meteor is just a thing that picks a spot on the map randomly, there was just some code that fell back to a random spot when no nonroofed cell was found in its first search. Ive tweaked this now so shouldnt happen anymore. I need to do a check here though for mountain over constructed roof. However this invites turtling in a mountain.....ehh...ill have a think.

rexx1888

im just starting to tonker with code and learn bits an pieces an was wondering, was i on the right track with the meteors being buildings as the problem, or was the bug somewhere else an i just didnt pick up on it?

also, feel free to tell me to bugger off if im annoying you for tips of the trade and you dont want to spill. im new to the modding scene and dont wanna step on anyones toes :)

skullywag

nah its cool i put all my source with the mod if youve got visual studio you can open up the meteorutility and fix this yourself if you want. Everything i write is available for everyone to tear apart, learn from it, tweak it...whatever you want.

Ninefinger

Quote from: rexx1888 on April 10, 2015, 03:14:14 AM
im just starting to tonker with code and learn bits an pieces an was wondering, was i on the right track with the meteors being buildings as the problem, or was the bug somewhere else an i just didnt pick up on it?

also, feel free to tell me to bugger off if im annoying you for tips of the trade and you dont want to spill. im new to the modding scene and dont wanna step on anyones toes :)

I am not 100% sure but i believe it has something to do with the fact that it is coded to use "drop pods" as the source of flying object and lacks parameters to not drop on thin rock roof or overhead mountain, the games core files have parameters that dont allow drop pods to land on rooftops if a drop pod in the main game were to be allowed to drop on mountains you would get the same effect, i would prefer if it were designed to be mortar shells instead of drop pods with these modified flying graphics of trails of smoke that way you can leave it so that they are allowed to land anywhere instead of adding parameters to not allow them to drop on overhead mountains or thin rock roofs, and i would prefer it if they just got destroyed on impact and didn't leave debris behind to clutter the map, so the whole code of "make thing" or try to "place object" would not be needed, i have modified razor rain to drop FilthDirt like this rather than steel simply because i have absolutely no idea how to mod with c++ or visual studios, and obviously this does not address the issue of them landing on the mountain and destroying everything.
                GenExplosion.DoExplosion(base.Position, 1f, DamageDefOf.Bomb, null, null, null);
                Thing razor = ThingMaker.MakeThing(ThingDef.Named("FilthDirt"));
                GenSpawn.Spawn(razor, base.Position, this.Rotation);
                this.Destroy(DestroyMode.Vanish);

skullywag

Ninefinger its nothing to do with what they are, even if you used projectiles id need to code what it was allowed to pass through and what it wasnt, there is a line of code in the utility class that searches for a cell, it is simply coded in there in GenCellFinder.RandomCellWith and then passed some parameters, id need to do the same with projectiles, they need a firing source and a destination, guess how id pick that destination...yep..GenCellFinder.RandomCellWith..

Seriously dont get hung up on WHAT these "things" are (they are all Things). I can make them land wherever i choose very easily, if people want a version that doesnt care about roofs, just ask. Its like a 3 word change to make it happen.