[A13] More Sun Lamps (Version 13.1 for Alpha 13))

Started by Rock5, February 02, 2015, 06:47:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rock5

More Sun Lamps
Description:

This mod adds 2 smaller sized Sun Lamps and 1 larger one called a Sun Pillar. The Sun Pillar can also support the roof and requires research.

Here is an example image. I created a new random colony and filled in a valley with sun lamps and roofed it. The textures have changed. I've marked out the brightly lit areas with yellow lines.

Note: This is important. The pattern shown when placing a Sun Pillar doesn't exactly match the area it lights. See the above image. The omitted squares are marked in orange. You would have to add those manually to the growing zone after you use the Create Growing Zone tool.

Author
Rock5

How to install:
- Unzip the contents and place them in your RimWorld/Mods folder.
- Activate the mod in the mod menu in the game.

License:
You can freely use this mod in a mod pack, modifying it to make it compatible, if you wish.
You can update it and re-release it if I haven't been on the forum for awhile and don't respond to messages.

Downloads
More Sun Lamps v13.1.1 for Alpha 13

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

Rock5

I figured out why it's gray. The lamp is being shaded according to the color of the stuff it's made of. Does anyone know if there is a way to disable this or to control what part of the image is colored?

I'm think not because, of all the mods I have installed, I can't see any stuff based object that doesn't change color with the stuff chosen. Except for Vas's Modular Hydroponics. I can't see yet what makes it different. Maybe I'll ask him.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

Vas

My mod is broken in that way, I can't get it to change to the color of the stuff it is made of.  I don't know what I did wrong or how to fix it.  My mask isn't working for my mod.  If you don't want it to change color, just take away the mask file.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

Rock5

I don't have a mask file. How do mask files work anyway? What are they for? And why do you have 4 of each image?
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

Rock5

I've added a sample image to the first post showing how the different size lamp can be used to cover an existing natural valley.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

skullywag

if you use graphic_single stuff will shade anything. You dont need a mask file or anything itll just do it, make parts of your texture white for an obvious change (see my omnipanels or any other mod in my omni thread). The core bed for example uses a shader and a different graphic class:

<graphicPath>Things/Building/Furniture/Bed/Bed</graphicPath>
    <graphicClass>Graphic_Multi</graphicClass>
    <shaderType>CutoutComplex</shaderType>

I would assume if you did the same but didnt add a mesh file it might just stay the right colour.

Vas see the mods i mentioned above for how to fix your issue.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Rock5

I wasn't quite sure what you were saying but I did a bit more experimenting and managed to get this.

Still doesn't look like the original but it's much better. I used Graphic_Single and CutoutComplex.

This would look better if the non 'light' parts were colored. Can I still use a mask with Graphic_Single? How do I name the files to get it to use the mask?

[attachment deleted due to age]
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

Shinzy

I'm pretty sure you need the have graphic_multi for the
shader type to work

the name of the mask would then be
same as the file name but with letter 'm' in the end

"Lampstigator3000.png" -> "Lampstigator3000m.png"
Lampstigator3000_frontm, _sidem, etc.
you may or may not actually require having the front,side and back textures for each lamp but the error log will let you know about that ;D

it's best to look some examples from other mods to see how they work (things are much more clearer when you see them yourself, atleast for me they are!)

skullywag

This issue is you have quite a whitey image therefore stuff will try to "stain" it when you use graphic_single. So you need to use the mask approach as Shinzy states above to specify EXACTLY what bits you want the stuff to shade, the shader should then take care of the rest, so again as Shinzy stated make that mask image, name it right, switch to graphic_multi and keep the shader so it knows what to do with it. The glower will "light" the image up anyways, nothing fancy needed for that.

Rock5

Success!

<graphicPath>SunPillar</graphicPath>
    <shaderType>CutoutComplex</shaderType>
    <graphicClass>Graphic_Multi</graphicClass>

With files
  SunPillar_front
  SunPillar_side
  SunPillar_back
  SunPillar_backm

Of course if it was turnable I would need sidem and frontm but it's not.

The last problem now is how to show the icon properly. I have no idea how to tackle this or if it's even possible.

Anyway, this doesn't help Vas as he is using a linked object. I don't think linked objects can be defines as Graphic_Multi. That wouldn't make sense. So maybe, like Graphic_Single, it doesn't supports masks.

Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

Shinzy

well after looking through Mrofa's Clutter mod and the vanilla things that use stuff
it looks like there might not be any sort of simple easy solution for making the menu icons appear properly stuffed =P
and I feel if it was easy enough Mrofster woulda came up with a way to do it (it did look like he'd tried when I snooped them texture files like a creep! without doubt also constructing very misinformed psychoanalysis of the person in ques- uhh) *ahem*

for linked textures! if Vas is readning! check out clutter! one of them walls use the colour mask

skullywag

now give those textures some nice black lines to remove that white speckle effect.

Rock5

Quote from: skullywag on February 05, 2015, 10:54:00 AM
now give those textures some nice black lines to remove that white speckle effect.
Yeah they need it. But I think I don't like them too much. I think I'll try some different perspectives. More overhead and a narrower column. I'm actually looking for a simple free 3d program to help be draw them right. We'll see how I go.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

Rock5

Here is the texture I'm currently going with for my Sun Pillar. In game it will be stuff colored. The small and mini Sun Lamps are just going to be resized Sun Lamp textures.

Is there a right way to transition from WIP to release mod? Or do I just create a new topic and leave this one behind?

Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

mrofa

Pm evul he wil move the topic to realese
All i do is clutter all around.