Console for turrets

Started by Workload, November 10, 2013, 02:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Workload

Edit: This is not about turrets balancing at all.   

Turrets are good the way they are though on the other hand, I see a person controlled turret from a console could be a lot cooler and more fitting that your people came from a spaceship.

A console would need to be linked to the same power flow as the turret. To be able to select the link turret button, can be place beside the power on/off one.

For the turret to work.

Before      A - power

After        A - power
               B - linked to a console
               C - a drafted person then told to man the console with the right click button. They just stand at the console facing it making it seem like there using the turret.

Then the turret should act the same as it did before but need these three laws to work.

Also If a turret is killed there's a chance it can short circuit or set fire to the console. Or even shock the user, Killing or dealing a lot damage maybe depending how much power is in the batteries.   
There shooting skill should go up very slowly or no at all when using turrets or make it a different skill like research.

Just image it you came from ship and that's how most turrets work on be space ships, console bays with people inside shooting outside just make sense if they still use that tech. Goes with the theme of rimworld

This could just apply to other things. Sam turrets, Cannons 
Let me know what ya think

Galileus

This is THIRD turret problem topic. Was it really necessary to post it?

As for the idea, it's a linear change in turret's cost with a "replace colonist with a turret". Both of these are very bad. One - you don't balance a problem like that with linear cost adjustment - I wrote about it three times now. Two - the catastrophic failure of this plan - is replace colonist with turret mechanic. Plant 6 lanes of 6 turrets, plop 6 colonists in safehouse with consoles, make them change consoles every now and then or haul someone to bed if he gets shocked. Add fuelling and you're at square one. The same old problem is in there, unresolved.

Solution needs to address the problem, not the numbers.

Workload

Quote from: Galileus on November 10, 2013, 02:56:33 PM
This is THIRD turret problem topic. Was it really necessary to post it?

As for the idea, it's a linear change in turret's cost with a "replace colonist with a turret". Both of these are very bad. One - you don't balance a problem like that with linear cost adjustment - I wrote about it three times now. Two - the catastrophic failure of this plan - is replace colonist with turret mechanic. Plant 6 lanes of 6 turrets, plop 6 colonists in safehouse with consoles, make them change consoles every now and then or haul someone to bed if he gets shocked. Add fuelling and you're at square one. The same old problem is in there, unresolved.

Solution needs to address the problem, not the numbers.

Your right about it not really being a balance. But it does give a chance to set fires in your city and kill or really hurt someone.
I only post this cause it's a neat idea for turrets and give more feel to the villagers instead on turrets auto killing.
Plus it fits well with the theme of colony that crashed landed from a space ship. Anyways I find people with good guns can do a whole lot better then turrets..... if your smart you can move them back when there about 60% hp and move someone else up with higher hp, easy tactics never lose a guy.

Also safe house with consoles, then gun gets blown up, fire starts while in a gunfight so deal with the enemies fast then put fire out or take some people off drafted to deal with the fire before it does a lot of damage. Again people could just place these consoles away from everything to min the damage. Still a risk that someone dies from shock.
Care less about balance just would be really cool way for guns to work.

infiniteseq

How about this (obviously more to my liking):

I'd add 2 new types of turrets, heavy cannon & sniper turret. Researched, either as one item or independently. Also expensive, so middle to late game constructs.

Unless someone is controlling them, useless. No "connected to the same grid" requirement (unless it is straightforward to implement). Basically one person at controlling station enables one turret - the best positioned "free"/ not controlled one - to become active.

Perhaps some mechanism to tell the person at the station which turret to fire (if it was controlled by someone else, that person switches to "next best free turret").

Heavy cannon fires burst of X shots (where X is a least two or three times higher than number of normal turret shots), as evenly as possible spread between N targets (it should be capable targeting at least 3 or 4 targets in one burst) if available (meaning that if there is just one target, he/she/it gets it all). Lets say that in one burst, the tower can also only select targets in 60-90 degree arc. Standard range, heavily armored.

Sniper tower is one-shot slow-reloading / target acquisition low-armor high-range high-damage variant, and I'd let it at least partially ignore cover (stability & superior targeting and whatnot).

The original suggestions for shocking / starting fires would fit into this setting.

Jotun

If you were wanting to make turrets function like this, would it not be sort of easier and possibly more balanced to replace turrets with emplaced weapons?

If the colonist risks injury and needs to man the turret for it to work, then you could do it directly, build a static MG emplacement and have colonists get in to use it. Downsides would be it can't run away from grenadiers, and would possibly be a bit vulnerable to snipers, it also can't move to flank enemies. Benefits would be greater firepower otherwise, and good cover for the person using it.

infiniteseq

Quote from: Jotun on March 04, 2014, 10:25:33 AM
If you were wanting to make turrets function like this, would it not be sort of easier and possibly more balanced to replace turrets with emplaced weapons?

I don't care [whether the consoles should shock people and/or start fires].

My point was that [IMO] the original suggestion wasn't different enough to be interesting. I tried to jazz it up and stated that same mechanics (shocking / fires) could still apply.

What you are suggesting is perhaps "high-tech sandbags with custom pew-pew". I'd consider it for early-to mid game, until the raiders learn to bring nukes & heavy assault droids ;-)