[Mod Request] Lower the priority of Packaged Survival Meals.

Started by Sion, February 03, 2015, 05:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Good idea?

Yes
5 (100%)
No
0 (0%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Sion

Could someone please make a mod that changes the priority of Packed Survival Meals to be lowest possible, instead of highest?

Because if a colonist have the option to choose between all meals in the game, it would choose the Packed Survival, instead of for example a Lavish meal.

I think it is wrong for so many reasons:
* Firstly, as the name implies, it's a Survival Meal, it should be used to survive in times of eg. food shortage, not be eaten like it was candy or something.
* A Survival Pack last almost forever, when a Lavish Meal spoils in a few days, and therefore should be eaten first.
* A Lavish Meal gives a happiness bonus witch a Survival Meal doesn't.
* Another reason is that as soon as there is a Survival Pack anywhere on the map the colonist wander away to eat the Survival, instead of eating the Lavish Meals, even if they stand on the Lavish(!), and instead of hauling the Survivals to the base.
* Also, in my opinion I think that something that is packed and processed in such a way that it won't spoil in years doesn't taste good, especially if you compare it with a freshly made luxury meal.
   What would you choose: A meal of your choice in a 5 star restaurant, or a block of ramen noodles?
So many ideas... so little time...
Silence is the worst answer.

Arctic Wolf

I am pretty sure it hasnt been changed simply because the values which affect it is either quality or nutrition.
I guess it would have other side effects if you lowered these.

You would probably need to decouple the priorities from these values if you wanted the priority lower but still have the same nutrition and quality values.

Boboid

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=5980

This mod might serve your purpose, it lowers the priorty of packaged survival meals so they ought to be consumed last
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

Sion

To Arctic Wolf,
I have found some saturation values here:
http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Food

Basically:
Packed Survival Meal = 100 Saturation (S)
Lavish Meal = 100 S
Fine Meal = 90 S
Simple Meal = 85 S
Nutrient Paste = 80 S

So, what would happen if the Saturation for a Survival was lowered to eg. 79 S?

To Boboid,
I will take a look at that mod.

Arctic Wolf

Then you would need to eat more packaged food to fully saturate yourself, aka the food becomes inefficient and you would use around 1 more meal every 4-5 days for every colonist.

RemingtonRyder

I set the saturation for survival meals at 75. I'm not sure if it acts as a tie-breaker in the case of equal meal quality. In any case, I set the quality of survival meals to awful, and that seemed to fix the problem on colonists toddling off to inhale their ration pack fix.

The only caveat is that sometimes a meal stack will be reserved by a doctor or a warden, and will stay reserved until the prisoner or patient has been fed. And so if there aren't sufficient stacks of 'high quality' food, colonists will once again get a craving for twenty-year-old space spam.  This is mostly fixed with the advent of walk-in freezers, which allow you to stock many times the number of colonists in meals.

Hope this helps. :)

skullywag

Thisll be addressed somewhat in A9, pawns now do a local check for food before a global check.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Sion

Quote from: MarvinKosh on February 04, 2015, 06:01:24 AM
The only caveat is that sometimes a meal stack will be reserved by a doctor or a warden, and will stay reserved until the prisoner or patient has been fed. And so if there aren't sufficient stacks of 'high quality' food, colonists will once again get a craving for twenty-year-old space spam....

That is acceptable, because then it isn't so much a fault in the game mechanic, as it is a fault in my food production and that can be corrected.