Nitpick on decimating alpha beavers

Started by Darth Fool, February 03, 2015, 06:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Fool

<start historical rant> Alpha beavers threaten to decimate every tree in the region.  Shouldn't that be every tenth tree? <end rant>

The-MathMog

Yes! Nice analysis there, I like it! ;)

I say the same, when I get 10% out of 100% on a test. "I decimated that test!"

StorymasterQ

If you decimate every tenth tree, wouldn't that be 1% of all the trees, though? :D
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

JonoRig

No, 1 in 10 is 10%, aka 10 in 100

Edit: Yes, I read wrong, sorry

StorymasterQ

Yes, but decimate is killing 1 in every 10, so 'decimate every one in tenth tree' would be 1% isn't it?
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

Argon

1/10=10/100

Decimate means killing one out of 10 (decem means ten in Latin).

-Argon

StorymasterQ

Yes, I know. Read my sentence again carefully.

Decimate every tree would be 1 in 10 trees.
Decimate every tenth tree would be 1 in 100 trees.

The-MathMog

Quote from: StorymasterQ on February 03, 2015, 09:08:59 PM
Yes, but decimate is killing 1 in every 10, so 'decimate every one in tenth tree' would be 1% isn't it?
Decimating every 10th tree, would just mean, that you destroy 10% of every tenth tree. Like cutting 1 meter of a 10 meter tree, or in a game aspect damaging a tree 10%.

So it doesn't mean, destroying 1% of every tree ;)

StorymasterQ

Quote from: The-MathMog on February 04, 2015, 07:51:51 AM
Quote from: StorymasterQ on February 03, 2015, 09:08:59 PM
Decimating every 10th tree, would just mean, that you destroy 10% of every tenth tree. Like cutting 1 meter of a 10 meter tree, or in a game aspect damaging a tree 10%.

So it doesn't mean, destroying 1% of every tree ;)

Hm, I see where I went wrong now. You're right.

So, currently in the game, do the alphabeavers:

• destroy all trees?
  • destroy 10% of all trees?
  • reduce all trees to 90% of its HP?

And which one should they have done?

Reptavian

You guys are funny, but can I get a serious answer here?  I have played the game for a few days now, when I get hit with the Alpha Beavers I actually tend to ignore them, yes they take some of my trees, but then they just go away and I still have lots of trees, I really don't see the problem here.  Is that normal?

Kagemusha

If we want to be truly nitpicky then we shouldn't use decimate for any other instance other than punishment for Roman Legions. That was the only instance when something would ever be decimated.

Nothing ever really gets decimated these days. If we want to get super technical.

"Alpha beavers threaten to devour every tree in the region. "
Since really they are eating the trees rather than destroying or killing them.

And Reptavian I personally just go annihilate the Alpha Beavers so I have never seen them leave. I assumed they would probably eat all the trees or simply leave after a certain time.

Not really a threat in anyway. I see it as free food and skins.