Endless unconciousness?

Started by gijsvdv, February 16, 2015, 12:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gijsvdv

Hi there, a little while ago, my colony got attacked by some spacers, my people bravely fought back, resulting in 2 wounded people, this was 2 ingame months ago, one off those people still hasn't recovered, he has been unconsious since the fight. My people keep feeding him, and such. He has even turned 46 years old a few ingame days ago! As you might see, i have added a screenshot to this topic, but i don't really work how Paint works, so the picture is a little small.
So is this normal, and do you guys know any fix for this?

[attachment deleted due to age]

skullywag

Hes been shot in the brain. Not sure it should be endless unconsciousness but thatll be the cause, hes pretty useless once he wakes up anyway (unless your modded of course)
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

jack020

Quote from: jack020 on January 01, 2015, 04:44:55 PM
in game, hit ESC > Options > Open save data folder > A new Windows explorer tab will open > in the new tab go into the "Saves" folder.

you will see your saves listed in that file, open your save by pressing the right mouse button on it, then: Open with, and then: notepad.

then search for the colonist with brain damage by hitting Ctrl + F and then to search the file for your colonists last name.

when you found him/her CTRL + F again and search for : healthDiffs

in between <healthDiffs> and </healthDiffs> all conditions of that colonist are listed.

to "Heal" your colonist Delete everything in between <healthDiffs> and </healthDiffs> and then save.

when you load the save file again your colonist will be healed.

if it's your first time doing this make a back up of your save by just copy pasting the file into the same folder or your desktop, w.e you want.

Also, if he/she is stuck to the bed (Downed) then search for  <downed>True</downed> and set it to False

tommytom

It's normal. You colonist got shot in the brain and you didn't have a good doctor/meds and it didnt get healed properly.

Being that it says "old", there is nothing you can do about it.
AFAIK, they are a vegetable for good (because it's red).

Sometimes it's less severe and they can get up, but they will be slow and stuff.

You could put him in cryo put him in your ship to be brought with to space, if you decide to end the game that way. Otherwise, just euthanize then bury/burn his body or do as jack020 said and edit the save.

StorymasterQ

As I said in another post, in Rimworld, a vegetable becomes a meat source.

inb4 my signature.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Listy

Quote from: gijsvdv on February 16, 2015, 12:01:19 PM
Hi there, a little while ago, my colony got attacked by some spacers, my people bravely fought back, resulting in 2 wounded people, this was 2 ingame months ago, one off those people still hasn't recovered, he has been unconsious since the fight. My people keep feeding him, and such. He has even turned 46 years old a few ingame days ago! As you might see, i have added a screenshot to this topic, but i don't really work how Paint works, so the picture is a little small.
So is this normal, and do you guys know any fix for this?

What I think it is, is a couple of injuries.

In this case the Brain injury slows him down. Equally the shattered Tibia will also slow him down. So the two penalties to movement mean he's immobile. I suspect if you give him a peg leg he'll get moving again.

However in all honesty he'll not be fast. If you've got enough spare capacity I'd strip him and either Cryptopod him, Euthanize, or Banish (Draft, march him to the edge of the map, and wait).

Even if you're not overflowing with colonists I fear he's going to be no use what so ever (barely mobile, and massive penalties to working with the one arm+brain injury) and nothing but a drain on your colony, and an annoyance with constant "mental break" warnings.

elStrages

Pickle is a vegetable. Be kind euthanize him.

ZestyLemons

Quote from: tommytom on February 16, 2015, 01:01:52 PM
It's normal. You colonist got shot in the brain and you didn't have a good doctor/meds and it didnt get healed properly.

Brain and heart injuries never heal naturally, and instantly become 'old' when they happen.
Help out with the wiki!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Divaya/
Wiki: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/User:Zesty

Feel free to contact me about wiki questions or wiki admin stuff.

Panzer

Brain and eye damage are always permanent, red brain damage will always render your colonist unconcious forever, orange and above will severely limit his skills and movement speed.

Quote from: ZestyLemons on February 17, 2015, 05:22:18 PM
(...) heart injuries never heal naturally, and instantly become 'old' when they happen.

Heart damage doesnt heal naturally but can be treated, unless you re already talking about an alpha9 change I dont know about.

tommytom

Quote from: Panzer on February 17, 2015, 06:48:59 PM
Brain and eye damage are always permanent, red brain damage will always render your colonist unconcious forever, orange and above will severely limit his skills and movement speed.

(...) heart injuries never heal naturally, and instantly become 'old' when they happen.

Heart damage doesnt heal naturally but can be treated, unless you re already talking about an alpha9 change I dont know about.

Oh. Right. What about "head" injuries? Do those turn into brain damage with bad treatment or is it direct damage to "brain"?

ZestyLemons

Quote from: tommytom on February 17, 2015, 08:59:42 PM
Quote from: Panzer on February 17, 2015, 06:48:59 PM

Oh. Right. What about "head" injuries? Do those turn into brain damage with bad treatment or is it direct damage to "brain"?

@Panzer the heart damage thing was from the first Alpha the medical system was introduced, I wasn't aware it changed. Sorry!

@tommytom Head injuries will heal eventually. You can think of the head as a 'container' of sorts for the rest of the bits attached to it, the same way that you can injure a torso without injuring anything else inside of the torso. AFAIK it's just eyes/brains that will scar instantly and never heal.
Help out with the wiki!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Divaya/
Wiki: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/User:Zesty

Feel free to contact me about wiki questions or wiki admin stuff.

Panzer

Afaik yellow level injuries can still be walked off without treating them, even bleeding ones, but the risk of infection is high, and I dont really know if that works with more than one or two injuries.
Talking about container, maybe I am imagining things, but do attacks sometimes punch through the container? Feels like I had some cases where I inflicted double injury with one attack, e.g. a m24 shot that damages both torso and the liver, not too sure though...

milon

Off topic, but is there info anywhere on the color of injuries and what it means?  I find I'm often guessing and have no idea what's going on.  o_O

Panzer

Just a guess, but there are 3 colors, yellow, orange and red, I would say they represent the containers/organs health divided by 3. A torso has 40 hp, so 33% are around 13 hp, that means if you recieve more than 13 points of dmg to your torso, the injury changes color.