[MOD] (Alpha 5) BetterPower+ (V5.0.0): Updated 16/07/14

Started by Architect, February 28, 2014, 07:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Architect

Quote from: piinatsu on July 16, 2014, 09:39:41 AM
BetterPower+ doesn't seem to be compatible with Resource Kompression mod. It doesn't cause an error or crash, but some stuff in Resource Kompression mod doesn't appear.
I suspect the TraderDefs conflicting with each other.

A known issue, and one I fully intend to address when I get home from my camping trip.

BetterPowerHard is now complete guys. Would have got it done last night, but I fell asleep at my desk before I finished it off XD
Check out BetterPower+ and all its derivatives by clicking the picture below.

It adds many new methods of power generation and uses for it, as well as other things such as incidents.

sodyaler

ItchyFlea

Quote from: Architect on July 16, 2014, 02:59:39 AM
My plan is to use the base trader defs mod by itchyflea soon so we can have a bit of compatibility
Just to let you know I've stopped working on Base Mod, as the ultimate goal I had with that (splitting apart several Def files via assemblies to permanently solve incompatibility issues) isn't going to work. Feel free to use it, but it won't be updated for Alpha 6 when that comes out. (At least not by me anyway.)

Do you mind if I go ahead and make a compatibility patch so this can work with my mapgenpack?
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

Architect

Quote from: ItchyFlea on July 16, 2014, 05:12:01 PM
Quote from: Architect on July 16, 2014, 02:59:39 AM
My plan is to use the base trader defs mod by itchyflea soon so we can have a bit of compatibility
Just to let you know I've stopped working on Base Mod, as the ultimate goal I had with that (splitting apart several Def files via assemblies to permanently solve incompatibility issues) isn't going to work. Feel free to use it, but it won't be updated for Alpha 6 when that comes out. (At least not by me anyway.)

Do you mind if I go ahead and make a compatibility patch so this can work with my mapgenpack?

Fair enough. Well, I'll figure something out never the less :P

Absolutely, but is it necessary? I've removed all the mapgen components out of the mod now when I removed wire from the base building costs of items in game. It should work as normal already?

It adds many new methods of power generation and uses for it, as well as other things such as incidents.

ItchyFlea

Quote from: Architect on July 16, 2014, 05:22:23 PM
Absolutely, but is it necessary? I've removed all the mapgen components out of the mod now when I removed wire from the base building costs of items in game. It should work as normal already?
I assumed that you still had the mapgen components in the mod. Since they aren't there, then we're already compatible. :)
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

Bog

So I've been thinking about something power-related that I'd really like, but don't really have the programming skills to make it and am busy making Project Armoury weapons anyways.

I thought I'd outline it here in hopes that you might feel inspired and add it to your mod.  :P

Basically I'd like to be able to run steam (from steam geysers) through pipes so that the geothermal  generator could be placed inside my base, rather than way out in the open where I'd need to run huge lengths of stone walls, sandbags, etc. to defend it.

Basically you'd need...

... A new building to cover the geyser. It'd basically be a cap, funneled down into a pipe that then comes out of the side. I imagine it'd be 2x2 in size.

... A new insulated pipe. I imagine it'd work a lot like a power conduit, except you'd be "moving" steam pressure instead of wattage.

... To change geothermal generators so that they could be built when not on a geyser, but not generate power unless they're either on a geyser or connected to one via a steam pipe.

... To make pipes/caps that are disconnected vent steam like a geyser if connected to one. (This one's just to make it look better)

I imagine the cap would cost ~50 metal, and each piece of pipe would cost ~4-8, depending on how it all balances out. I think they should also have decent hit-points. Maybe 120-150 for the pipes and 350-450 for the cap. It's not super strong but it'd take a while for raiders to tear down the whole system.

Basically you'd spend extra metal and construction time to be able to better defend your expensive geothermal generators. (I'd also hope that the pipes and caps would give you a better ratio of slag when destroyed, so you can regain the metal used, if you have colonists working at your slag smelters)

If it's considered to be too good by people, you could always make it so that a capped and piped steam geyser generates, say, 10% less power than if you put the geothermal generator right on top. Then people would have some more incentive to be picky about when they use the system.

Anyways, hope I explained it well. If you don't make it it doesn't matter, but I thought the idea would fit your mod pretty well if you were trying to think of new things to add.
Divergence of Civilization Lead Developer (in this case that's the fancy way of saying "Only Developer")

Project Armoury Developer (New huge 2.13 Release now live!)

Ender

i do like Bogs idea, though i do imagine it would take a fair amount of modding as you essentially have to make a completely new "network" assembly for the steam.

P.S. Woot! yay for the update!
The voices in my head tell me to burn colonists....

Cala13er

Quote from: Ender on July 17, 2014, 08:22:19 AM
i do like Bogs idea, though i do imagine it would take a fair amount of modding as you essentially have to make a completely new "network" assembly for the steam.

I've already created (With WorldOfIllusions help) a new network. So I'm actually already working on getting bogs idea working :)

johnweller24

im having trouble so i just downloaded this mod and put it into my rimworld mod folder then i restarted the game and now all i get is a black screen....i dont know if i did something wrong or.....

Ender

Quote from: Cala13er on July 17, 2014, 09:18:11 AM
Quote from: Ender on July 17, 2014, 08:22:19 AM

I've already created (With WorldOfIllusions help) a new network. So I'm actually already working on getting bogs idea working :)

yay! im excited to see that progress!

Quote from: johnweller24 on July 18, 2014, 12:44:21 AM
im having trouble so i just downloaded this mod and put it into my rimworld mod folder then i restarted the game and now all i get is a black screen....i dont know if i did something wrong or.....

I'm not sure exactly what your problem is, more details would be good, but you could try and simply delete all the Rimworld files, and redownload the game for starters, when adding mods, make sure to put them in the mods folder.
The voices in my head tell me to burn colonists....

Architect

I like the idea Bogs, but again to you I'll have to say what I've said to the others, I've got a long list of stuff for BP+ to get through first, so what I really need is ideas for BetterPowerHard XD That being said, I will keep this idea at the back of my mind for a time when it becomes appropriate to implement.

As of now I am leaving the country, so any messages send, posts made, or issues found may or may not be answered by myself until the 30th of this month when I return. Depending on if my hotel has wifi I may be able to get on the forums every once in a while, but otherwise consider me off the grid :P

Undecided

Question for any veterans of the mod: Is coal intended to be used as a power source? Looking at the numbers, it seems like a coal mine + a coal burner is more expensive to setup than a geothermal plant, but produces less power (especially if you use a conveyor belt system). I can't see any possible reason for choosing to burn coal over running geothermal plants; am I using coal burners (or doing the math) incorrectly, or are they really just not a practical power source?

Architect

A coal miner produces enough to feed two generators, whilst only using one geyser. I must admit, some more balancing is necessary, so i shall work on that when i return, probably just to lower its production price.

Bog

Quote from: Architect on July 18, 2014, 11:20:04 AM
I like the idea Bogs, but again to you I'll have to say what I've said to the others, I've got a long list of stuff for BP+ to get through first, so what I really need is ideas for BetterPowerHard XD That being said, I will keep this idea at the back of my mind for a time when it becomes appropriate to implement.
Yeah, I wasn't expecting you to just go make it because I suggested it. I just figured I'd throw it out there in case you were having a hard time coming up with things to add.

As far as BetterPowerHard is concerned, I haven't actually tried it yet, but will one of these days.
Divergence of Civilization Lead Developer (in this case that's the fancy way of saying "Only Developer")

Project Armoury Developer (New huge 2.13 Release now live!)

Halinder

That nuclear reactor explosion. It gets set alight by rain just once, and suddenly half my colony is in ashes. I was right to put it in the main raider-kill-hall chamber..