Started by Yarkista, September 18, 2013, 05:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Cross

Quote from: Stone_enderman on September 17, 2015, 05:40:29 PM
In some ways, nobody knows anything when you look at how much we don't know

Words of the wise!
Claims to know most things.

harpo99999

correction, everybody knows NOTHING, some individuals might be different and actually have a tiny peice of knowledge, BUT they WILL hide that knowledge to protect it  from the group ie keep secrets

Simon_The_Space_Engineer

In the end, we all make the same leather hats.

milon

One piece of knowledge that (hopefully!) everyone has, and is the cornerstone of everything else:

cogito ergo sum

harpo99999

do you care to try to prove it?
personnally I have not seen any proof in others

StorymasterQ

Light is faster than sound. This is why people appear smart until you hear they speak.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

milon

Quote from: StorymasterQ on September 20, 2015, 09:14:12 PM
Light is faster than sound. This is why people appear smart until you hear they speak.

Then hopefully none of you are using text-to-speech browsers so I can keep looking smart on teh int3rnets!  ;D

Quote from: harpo99999 on September 19, 2015, 06:12:14 PM
do you care to try to prove it?
personnally I have not seen any proof in others

I think therefore I am is fairly self-evident from my perspective.  I do think, so there is something doing the thinking.  That something is called 'me' or 'I' depending on if it's an object or a subject.  ;)

And I don't buy that whole 'consciousness/existence is an illusion' thing.  Illusions do not operate alone - they need a subject to operate on.  If an illusion exists, then who is being being affected by said illusion?  In other words, an illusion is itself proof for the existence of the person it operates on.

This doesn't prove the rest of the universe exists, though.  Proving anything beyond the existence of self is the real challenge.

Simon_The_Space_Engineer

Maybe what bill cypher said in Gravity Falls is true "reality is an illusion"

BetaSpectre

I believe that the most important truth is in progress and production. Fancy talk that doesn't lead to improvements in lives IMO is less valuable then a hamburger someone gives out for free.

Corruption stems from this quite easily as well, all the talk in congress hardly helps the Joe on the streets, but when Tweed or somesuch comes across with a nice sandwhich in one hand, and a voting ballot in the other. It hardly matters then.

All knowledge is based upon observation of some kind. We see, feel, then pass on a fraction of our experience to others. A bunch of small fragments that make a collective whole. All knowledge based upon observation is simply a recollection of events, events of which may have transpired due to causes irrelevant to the original theory the knowledge was derived upon.

However to say we know nothing is simply not true. We know our observations, and we know we incorporate the hearsay of other observations as well. This basic exchange via symbols is evidence of the passing of knowledge. Knowledge derived long ago that was passed down and incorporated en masse. The symbols have meaning there is no doubt. But alone without interaction the symbols would simply be light distortions.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Simon_The_Space_Engineer

Yea. I was just making a comparison when i first said

Quote from: Stone_enderman on September 17, 2015, 05:40:29 PM
In some ways, nobody knows anything when you look at how much we don't know
Which in itself was really just a random comment. I literally just blurted it out onto the comment and posted it

Facepunch

I'm going to get drunk and read that whole thing again.

Facepunch

Nobody else do that, it was a bad idea.

NuclearStudent

Nobody read it through sober either, it makes no sense either way and I'm regretting it now.

harpo99999

ut inly miks cents when u rite it whil DRNK

Facepunch

It hurts less to read when you're totally smashed, tho.