[1.0] Orassans 🐱

Started by Diana Winters, July 28, 2016, 11:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I plan on changing the look of the Orassans to more match the added storyteller. Do you want this?

Yes; I want a more cat-like look
No; keep the neko look
I don't care

tonsrd

Quote from: Canute on October 07, 2017, 02:18:17 AM
Quote from: tonsrd on October 06, 2017, 09:07:37 PM
Quote from: Canute on October 05, 2017, 03:24:29 AM
Quote from: tonsrd on October 04, 2017, 01:36:07 PM
downloaded from nnm 2day unable to extract files from .rar file is broken / unkown.

tried opening with 7zip.
tried downloading again a few later ( same result )
I just download the Orassans-138-17-04.rar
the latest release and don't got problems to open and extract it.

what version of WinRAR do you have ( I have 3.8 not updated it in years )

ive re-dl mod from nnm still saying "incomplete" etc etc, 7zip sez can not open "archive" this is the only mod/download ive got this problem with
I got 7-zip 64 bit, 15.14.
And since you are the only one who reported this problems so far, i think there is a problem at your side.
Maybe try a different brower first.

fixed problem by un-installing WinRAR 3.8 and installed latest 5.5

Skcuske_Lobuk

Quote from: Oblitus on October 06, 2017, 01:25:11 PM
Quote from: Montezuma on October 06, 2017, 01:12:42 PM
Small cat people walking on two legs faster than a human? Sure, my kitty does the same.
Cat people with paws handling guns better than humanlike hands with fingers? Sure, absolutely believable.
Small creatures tend to move faster. And human legs are not very good at running. Good at standing, yes, but not running. Modern prosthetics for both legs often looks a lot like a digitigrade animal leg.
They are anthropomorphic with humanlike hands.
Small creatures may be good sprinters, but they can't keep that speed up for long. Usain Bolt also only measures 5 feet, because he is the fastest man alive.
Humanlike hands + claws? Mary-Sue ...

Quote from: Oblitus on October 06, 2017, 01:25:11 PM
Quote from: Montezuma on October 06, 2017, 01:12:42 PM
If they are 50 % gay, it's not very likely they have a human like reproduction rate.
You are assuming human-level gestation time and single offspring per pregnancy. If they have 3-4 per litter, having relatives who can help can be a great benefit.
So more offspring on a scarce ice world + super human intelligence. The more intelligent a race is the longer a pregnancy takes the less offspring it has. It's contradicting, but sounds like another case for Mary-Sue. 

Oblitus

Quote from: Montezuma on October 07, 2017, 08:57:27 AM
Small creatures may be good sprinters, but they can't keep that speed up for long. Usain Bolt also only measures 5 feet, because he is the fastest man alive.
Wolf can run 80 kilometers without a rest and can sprint at 60-80 km/h. Felines tend to be worse at running, but better at sprinting.

Humanlike hands + claws?
Retractable claws, what is wrong with it?

The more intelligent a race is the longer a pregnancy takes the less offspring it has.
It's not a strict rule.

So more offspring on a scarce ice world
If only part of population is directly participating in reproduction.

Also, you are forgetting one thing: this is a space age race. So genetic engeneering can be widely used.

Skcuske_Lobuk

Quote from: Oblitus on October 07, 2017, 09:18:17 AM
Wolf can run 80 kilometers without a rest and can sprint at 60-80 km/h. Felines tend to be worse at running, but better at sprinting.

Humanlike hands + claws?
Retractable claws, what is wrong with it?

The more intelligent a race is the longer a pregnancy takes the less offspring it has.
It's not a strict rule.

So more offspring on a scarce ice world
If only part of population is directly participating in reproduction.

Also, you are forgetting one thing: this is a space age race. So genetic engeneering can be widely used.
Mary-Sue!

Diana Winters

Calm down Mr. Montezuma. All you're doing is making a scene to get attention (which I will happily provide.) If you really felt that this mod is ~so OP and I'll never gonna use it again~ like you imply, then you'd just uninstall it and leave it at that.

But to address your arguments... as Oblitus had stated, they do have litters of children and have a fairly low average rate of reproduction due to the high rate of homosexuality (especially in females, but I couldn't model for that in RW.) Due to this, there are heavy incentives (provided by the government) to have children in the Orassan Empire in times where more manpower was needed. You are also implying that their home planet has the same evolutionary pressures as Earth when it clearly doesn't.

As for the claws; do you think the Khajiit from the Elder Scrolls series is a mary sue/OP race?

The intelligence is supposed to just be for sociology/biology (this race was originally from a playthrough of Stellaris; having the "natural sociologists" trait), but I couldn't model for that in RW

Their home planet isn't completely covered in ice either; it has bands of vegetation around the equator (though I can understand the confusion) which result in varying coat colors depending on when you live on the planet. Life in caves would result in grey coat colors, life in the more vegetation rich areas would result in a brown/red coat color, life in industrial regions could result in a black coat color later in evolutionary history. However, the most common coat color is white. You are also forgetting that different coat colors can also be sexually selected for, or modified with genetic engineering.

Cryogenic weapons were developed to combat their first major enemy; a race of amphibians that lived on oceanic worlds and was weak to the cold.

p.s. The EPOE patch has a hotfix that fixes the issue with hair mods

Diana Winters

Quote from: sirgzu on October 03, 2017, 12:42:05 PM
Silly question, can orassans actually end up in relationships with humans or other alien races?
Also yes, they can

Skcuske_Lobuk

Hi Diana, I wasn't looking for attention, I was looking for a fun race to play with. I've stated my arguments. I'll be removing them as soon as I'm finished with my current playthrough.
I've wrote a mini mod called cat AIDS which takes care of them within a few hours as soon as they enter the map. Now it's fun!

/EDIT: Is there a special reason why you're removing the PowerArmor from the Spacer faction without mentioning it in the mod description?

Diana Winters

Quote from: Montezuma on October 08, 2017, 06:59:51 PM
Hi Diana, I wasn't looking for attention, I was looking for a fun race to play with. I've stated my arguments. I'll be removing them as soon as I'm finished with my current playthrough.
I've wrote a mini mod called cat AIDS which takes care of them within a few hours as soon as they enter the map. Now it's fun!

/EDIT: Is there a special reason why you're removing the PowerArmor from the Spacer faction without mentioning it in the mod description?

So the kitties don't spawn with it. I also recommend you not be so hostile.

Ramsis

I'm with Diana on this one, kinda on the rude side and it won't be tolerated here.
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

kubolek01

Quote from: Diana Winters on October 08, 2017, 11:39:28 PM

Agree. Bombardmebt from the orbit will end an entire map in minutes. Bombs of radius around 8 and 100 dmg... Oopsy!
Eat lead, walking pile of silver! (greedy Player)
I...I can't do it. Leave it alive, please!(inner soul)
It lives 200 years to end up as a jacket?!(realists mind)
If I would go to vacation in off-Earth, even fictional place, I'd choose Nibel.

wedekit

I'm afraid I have to agree with some of these recent critiques regarding the Orassan.

There are no counterbalancing elements against all these Orassan perks... There's a .05% decrease in mining speed, but otherwise nothing. There are plenty of things you could do to balance this all out. You can go back and forth and argue about hypothetical alien races and how they've developed or "evolved" on their worlds... but the fact of the mater is they've been designed after a family of animals found on Earth (cats), they use weapons peculiarly similar in design to Earth weapons, and their clothing/armor designed are so very similar to Earth designs as well. So arguments of "well they're alien" slowly start losing the ability to hold water when you start isolating all the elements that are so very "Earth" in perspective. To think all ranged weaponry would look the same throughout the galaxy is just silly, in my opinion.

• Reduce any number of things concerning ranged combat (think about how you have to position your hands to pull a trigger and the mechanics behind a humanoid with retractable claws). Orassan weapons can be designed to accommodate their own hands (paws?), but regular weapons found in the game would not.
  • Limit or nix their ability to use growing and make them carnivores in diet. If they have claws and fangs, it's not a stretch to believe their bodies are designed process only meat.
  • If they have problems mining, chances are they'll have troubles with human construction and repairing. The base game is about humans and their buildings, structures, items, and other designs. A .05 decrease in effectiveness is hardly a counterbalance for their high innate melee damage, for the record.
  • Greatly increase the likelihood of the trait "night owl." Cat species are often nocturnal. Cats (minus lions) are also not pack animals. It would be fitting for them to be up at night while everyone else is asleep, doing their own thing.
  • Increase their chances of getting into social fights with other colonists. Cats don't really care to be agreeable. It's why I find domestic cats so charming.

The list can go on, but the point is the focus so far has been only on positive things and nothing about negative. That's why this "mary sue" terminology has been thrown into the mix. Think of the Asari from Mass Effect... They are supposed to be this genderless science-focused alien race... but they have pretty faces and big breasts (even though they aren't mammals...). Oh, and they can mate with every species in the galaxy. And refer to their leaders as matriarchs... But they're genderless.

Based on what I see right now, I have to agree with many of the critiques regarding the "mary sue" (or "author's pet") elements. Beautiful, smart (research speed), nudist, innate high melee damage, and gay. Not to mention the recent admission by the author that, true to heteronormative tradition, the females would be the gay ones if they could support it with coding... All that's missing is maid outfits for those that bother to wear clothes. 

Skcuske_Lobuk

Quote from: Diana Winters on October 08, 2017, 11:39:28 PM

I don't like my game being altered without any mentioning and additionally weakening the Spacer faction in general.
There are other ways to not let the Power Armor spawn on your cat people, e.g. the Borg race manages to let Borg armor spawn only on Borg.

Nothing to add, enough said. Have fun.

IHateRegistering

Quote from: wedekit on October 09, 2017, 06:45:06 AM
I'm afraid I have to agree with some of these recent critiques regarding the Orassan.

There are no counterbalancing elements against all these Orassan perks... There's a .05% decrease in mining speed, but otherwise nothing. There are plenty of things you could do to balance this all out. You can go back and forth and argue about hypothetical alien races and how they've developed or "evolved" on their worlds... but the fact of the mater is they've been designed after a family of animals found on Earth (cats), they use weapons peculiarly similar in design to Earth weapons, and their clothing/armor designed are so very similar to Earth designs as well. So arguments of "well they're alien" slowly start losing the ability to hold water when you start isolating all the elements that are so very "Earth" in perspective. To think all ranged weaponry would look the same throughout the galaxy is just silly, in my opinion.

• Reduce any number of things concerning ranged combat (think about how you have to position your hands to pull a trigger and the mechanics behind a humanoid with retractable claws). Orassan weapons can be designed to accommodate their own hands (paws?), but regular weapons found in the game would not.
  • Limit or nix their ability to use growing and make them carnivores in diet. If they have claws and fangs, it's not a stretch to believe their bodies are designed process only meat.
  • If they have problems mining, chances are they'll have troubles with human construction and repairing. The base game is about humans and their buildings, structures, items, and other designs. A .05 decrease in effectiveness is hardly a counterbalance for their high innate melee damage, for the record.
  • Greatly increase the likelihood of the trait "night owl." Cat species are often nocturnal. Cats (minus lions) are also not pack animals. It would be fitting for them to be up at night while everyone else is asleep, doing their own thing.
  • Increase their chances of getting into social fights with other colonists. Cats don't really care to be agreeable. It's why I find domestic cats so charming.

The list can go on, but the point is the focus so far has been only on positive things and nothing about negative. That's why this "mary sue" terminology has been thrown into the mix. Think of the Asari from Mass Effect... They are supposed to be this genderless science-focused alien race... but they have pretty faces and big breasts (even though they aren't mammals...). Oh, and they can mate with every species in the galaxy. And refer to their leaders as matriarchs... But they're genderless.

Based on what I see right now, I have to agree with many of the critiques regarding the "mary sue" (or "author's pet") elements. Beautiful, smart (research speed), nudist, innate high melee damage, and gay. Not to mention the recent admission by the author that, true to heteronormative tradition, the females would be the gay ones if they could support it with coding... All that's missing is maid outfits for those that bother to wear clothes.
I mean there's certainly room for discussion here but instead of arguing back and forth you could also make your own tweaks to the race so you can modify them more to your liking. It's much more productive than trying to convince the mod author that your idea is the better one. I agree that races like the Xenn and Orassans are overpowered and further trivialize a game that can already be easily trivialized but you either fix it yourself or you stop using them.

DiamondBorne

Quote from: Montezuma on October 09, 2017, 08:13:02 AM
I don't like my game being altered without any mentioning and additionally weakening the Spacer faction in general.
There are other ways to not let the Power Armor spawn on your cat people, e.g. the Borg race manages to let Borg armor spawn only on Borg.

Nothing to add, enough said. Have fun.

I'm too late for this argument and there's no point in slinging more dirt at the others anyway. Both side has their own merits. But if what Montezuma said is true, that Spacer can no longer spawn with PA then that is no good. Instead of saying this mod is bad, can we have something of a 'simplified' patch or a fix to make things as vanilla as possible? (nvm billions of mods i'm using ^_^)

Diana Winters

Quote from: Montezuma on October 09, 2017, 08:13:02 AM
<snip>
<snip>

In the vanilla gane at least, I have never seen spacer pawns spawn with power armor, or much at all to begin with, so you are litteraly just trying to find problems that do not exist.

As for wedekit's critiques; the 5% slower mining speed is to acknowledge the "weak" trait they have in Stellaris, as is the lower body part health they have.

In any case, it's up to the user to decide if they want to use a mod or not. It is unlikely that you will persuade me to alter my mod in any significant way, so it is up to you to either quit using it or to make a patch for it.