What Are Your Communications Console Ideas?

Started by REMworlder, April 04, 2015, 09:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

REMworlder

Lately I've been thinking about other activities the player could use the communications console for, and Arygon's post made me wonder about other thoughts out there. What are your ideas?

Here are some to start off:
-Shoot off trader request broadcasts into space. Could attract pirates as well as traders.
-Broadcast signals that deter mechanoids.
-Radio scanner can be used to monitor local settlements to detect planned raids and events.

Kegereneku

Various Diplomacy and Trading activity with Comm Consoles
- Getting asked by some faction to do X for change of relation to happen (voluntary or ultimatum)
- Trading at way way better price than traders but through slow 'expedition/visitor' event
- Exchanging technology (tribes are interested but can only pay little, other only like high-tech but pay well, raiders will reduce your relation with others)
- Broadcasting that you have free room (may attract bad kind of person like exiled and so)

'Joy' activity :
- Singing broadcast (I'm totally naming a colonist Lynn Minmay)
- Famous person just talking about stuff (science, religions, anti-science, anti-religion...etc)
Both may get good or bad kind of result.

Edit :
- Inviting guest to come over to improve relation with faction.
- Asking a faction to stop attacking another one
- Taunting Raiders
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

BetaSpectre

No console early game, tribals shouldn't have access

Instead I think there should be a radio station and an entire tech tree that leads up to a hologram projector console. With Jaming capabilities to stop siege supply lines and screw mechanoids
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

MajorFordson

- Hire an orbital ship to assist with combat. For a large price you could order down orbital strikes. Either that or it automatically attacks enemies for a short time. With slight inaccuracy and a large amount of fire, it could be a risky move.

- Comms console could be used to pick up entertainment for colonists, if ever "recreation" makes it into the game.

billycop32

i'd like to see the Comm console renamed to the "mission control" console,which would include communications.

if we did that, it would open up a entire UNIVERSE of options. now building that space ship might be a good idea so you can launch it into space for mining or trading! ( or orbital bombardment of a enemy area...)

add that idea to our new timetable control and we could be looking at a new end game: build a CITY.

hector212121

Signal Boosted Console that allows you to exchange Silver for Trade Credit(takes 10 days) which can then be exchanged(again over 10 days) for practically any goods.

Hoshizora

Visitation - Send some visitors to another faction, like they've been doing to use this whole time. This requires sending 1/10 of your total population for seven days. When you get back, you will have increased goodwill with that faction.

Trade Caravan - Trade with another colony, then send off as many colonists as needed to haul everything there/back. They will return in seven days.

amul

I just posted this elsewhere:

Quote from: amul on May 05, 2015, 12:02:19 PM
This is less of an event and more of a category of events : More communication traffic.

A scout ship, [ship name] has come in range of your communication buoy. The pilot has been flying around space by him/herself for a while and is looking for a friendly port to stretch his legs in. You have the option to let him land and hang out for a while, eating your food, engaging in Joy activities, and sleeping (preferably in a bed). When he leaves, he drops off a payment of some kind. Possibly, you can negotiate the type of payment.

You are picking up a distress call. Tons of ways you could go with this one. The simplest is just receiving a message you can't do anything about. Or it could be a ship full of starving people that will buy food/meals in exchange for silver. Or the ship's computer has been infected with a virus and they need you to complete a research project for them and then "upload" the code by talking to them again once you've completed it -- fail and the ship crashes nearby.

You're picking up an ancient entertainment broadcast. Temporary Joy bonus to anyone indoors while the signal is good as you listen to that Olde Time Music.