What is the Tale system?

Started by Reolos, January 16, 2015, 06:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StorymasterQ

I'm more interested with the latest Changelog, specifically the last four words:
Quote from: Changelog
Jan 18
  • Work on linking tale system together with gameplay, so tales are generated from actual gameplay and stories and used for art pieces.
[/list]
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

ZestyLemons

I wonder if Tynan has heard/considered using Rant. It's pretty similar to what he's doing right now, and it's already in C#.
Help out with the wiki!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Divaya/
Wiki: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/User:Zesty

Feel free to contact me about wiki questions or wiki admin stuff.

EscapeZeppelin

Quote from: StorymasterQ on January 18, 2015, 08:22:47 PM
I'm more interested with the latest Changelog, specifically the last four words:
Jan 18
  • Work on linking tale system together with gameplay, so tales are generated from actual gameplay and stories and used for art pieces.
[/list]

I suspect it's going to be similar to Dwarf Fortress in that the subject matter of the art is going to be people and events from your colony's history. If you're constantly attacked by centipedes then you're going to end up with a lot of mechanoid themed statues. Oh look, one of your colonists has created a uranium statue commemorating that time when six people were eaten by squirrels. Just the thing to hang in the break room.

Wolfen Waffle

Quote from: EscapeZeppelin on January 20, 2015, 09:46:05 AM
Quote from: StorymasterQ on January 18, 2015, 08:22:47 PM
Jan 18
[/list]

I suspect it's going to be similar to Dwarf Fortress in that the subject matter of the art is going to be people and events from your colony's history. If you're constantly attacked by centipedes then you're going to end up with a lot of mechanoid themed statues. Oh look, one of your colonists has created a uranium statue commemorating that time when six people were eaten by squirrels. Just the thing to hang in the break room.

DAMN PSYCHOTIC SQUIRRELS!!!

Tynan

Quote from: ZestyLemons on January 20, 2015, 02:13:18 AM
I wonder if Tynan has heard/considered using Rant. It's pretty similar to what he's doing right now, and it's already in C#.

Yes I have. I have a note to look deeper into it. However, it seems the focus is a little different with Rant since I'm trying to build stories from specific events, while Rant is a much more general-case piece of software. That and I want to avoid overcomplicating the system, and integrate it RimWorld's content management systems. And have it all owned by Luideon :)
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

StorymasterQ

Quote from: Tynan on January 20, 2015, 03:19:00 PM
Quote from: ZestyLemons on January 20, 2015, 02:13:18 AM

Yes I have. I have a note to look deeper into it. However, it seems the focus is a little different with Rant since I'm trying to build stories from specific events, while Rant is a much more general-case piece of software. That and I want to avoid overcomplicating the system, and integrate it RimWorld's content management systems. And have it all owned by Luideon :)

You could make a new system. Call it TyRant, and...wait...
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Coenmcj

Quote from: StorymasterQ on January 20, 2015, 07:38:41 PM

I see what you did there.
Out of curiosity, Tynan, Is the tale system going to be hardcoded, or will the modders be able to fiddle and adapt it to mods?
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

akiceabear

Quote from: Coenmcj on January 20, 2015, 08:25:31 PM
Quote from: StorymasterQ on January 20, 2015, 07:38:41 PM
Out of curiosity, Tynan, Is the tale system going to be hardcoded, or will the modders be able to fiddle and adapt it to mods?

+1 - not because I plan on modding, but would love to see what others come up with!