Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dashthechinchilla

A slightly odd thing occurred to me the first time this playthrough. I never realized before that the do until and the look everywhere on my art table was counting installed pieces. I thought it was only looking in stockpiles, but it can only look in specific stockpiles.

Madman666

Well living under a mountain has its downsides. You ever let something burn - you die horribly.

DariusWolfe

PleaseBro: If you had a direct door to the outside (as suggested by your comment about one door being removed dropping the temp to -4) then it's likely there were sections you could deroof.

Alternately, you could have just deconstructed the door yourself; Honestly seems safer than trying to run around in a burning room removing sections of thin roof.

PleaseBro

Quote from: DariusWolfe on July 08, 2018, 03:40:24 PM
PleaseBro: If you had a direct door to the outside (as suggested by your comment about one door being removed dropping the temp to -4) then it's likely there were sections you could deroof.

Alternately, you could have just deconstructed the door yourself; Honestly seems safer than trying to run around in a burning room removing sections of thin roof.

Yea but the room was probably something like 400 square tiles large and the fire was in a tiny little part of it and the entire place turned into 250 oven of hell that killed all my pawns.

Talys

Some feedback as desired

"Split" Mountain Base, Cassandra Hard, 40/60, Mountainous - Started around 1.020

(Current) Thoughts, not in a particular order

• hauling to transport pod without thought (if 10 steel needs to be hauled and the nearest stack only has 8 steel, they run multiple times)
  • animals hauling becomes a bit annoying since they only reserve one stack at a time (no matter how small, i.e. a pile of 3 granite blocks from deconstructing a wall)
  • hauling to building can be a bit annoying, especially when it gets intercepted (i.e. predator hunts, colonist defends (drops the granite blocks), goes back to the base to get new blocks and completely disregards the ones lying next to him - might be related to the fact that she can only carry 70, but "wants" to carry a stack of 75 to the building
  • Transport pod costs reduced? I remember them higher than 70/1 for the launcher, 60/1 for the pod - Pods seem overpowered
  • Armor Revamp = Great for Power armor, Flak does not seem worth it on the long run, means few alternatives if you want to avoid a "massive" movement debuff
  • Changes to Caravaning - Great (although I stopped using them a lot after Transport Pods became avaiable)
  • Dev Console Notification when sending transport pod from outpost / non-base to base "Tried to get relation between faction Minoca and itself."
  • Glitterworld Medicine seems a lot cheaper? (~60 vs ~130 before)
  • "Todo." text when predators target colonists
  • Overall Caravan/ Event Frequency okay, too low in mid- to late game if you focus on those events
  • Nerf to Mortar accuracy even over "short" (~50) distances makes them unreasonable to use, they seem too weak to be of any importance (neither me nor Sieges / enemy camps ever "hit" a mortar shot in nearly 5 years, and that includes collaterals)
  • Stopping power is a nice change, but seems slightly overpowered if you stack chain shotguns (stopping power 3) in a 5-wide corridor - the melees in front don't get any meat, everything dies to the shotgun wall behind them
  • caravan requests for exquisite items (which you got from rewards yourself) can be slightly annoying (in my case Antigrain Warheads, 2nd time some colony asks for them in exchange for some archotech)
  • maybe allow certain techs (i.e. Mortars, Pod Launchers) as quest rewards
  • reputation hits for caravan requests are a two-sided knife - (1) your silver goes up quicker if you have enough production since you don't need to compensate those 700 or 1100 calling costs, if your production is low, you need to think twice about caravaning
  • didn't have allies help out in ~4.5 years so far (but it hasn't been super close yet either)
  • can't say too much about the turret changes
    -> didn't work with sniper turrets so far (probably would if you could move those without deconstructing, same for autocannon turrets)
    -> Autocannon turrets definitely need smaller turrets to secure the "too close" perimeter, preferably ones that do not have to engage anything else - then they work well, especially considering a mountain layout
  • stacked indoor mood debuffs can become very annoying, but it highly depends on base layout, the three-divided version (main, crafting + storage, hospital + med/bionic storage) doesn't run into many problems (besides the artists & possible indoor crafters
  • quality distribution seems fine, inspirations happen often enough (and masterwork still occurs often enough for Lv19 / 20) - inspirations showing in colonist overview help a LOT, thanks for that
  •   Wildlife Tab - missing the "manhunter" icon from the mod, but I can understand it not being included for balancing purposes, dislike the fact that insects are not listed (searching for a megascarab that is running wild is annoying) - although: understandable for balancing purposes
    (dragging the hunt / tame selections are great features)
  • Caravan food preview seems wonky, had multiple times where the calculation was off by multiple days (weeks) in both directions
  • caravan item preview is nice, pod launcher content preview could use some love - maybe add the possibility to update it after the initial loading, since stuff can remain unloaded if the selected stack gets merged (had it happen 2 or 3 times)
  • raiders dropping right into your base apparently hit a bunch of overhead mountain while crashing down (overhead mountain still stands), rendering two of the raiders trapped inside the base between natural stone walls and fallen rock, not sure if that should be the way to go... probably set a minimum distance of drop pods to overhead mountain tiles to avoid such bullshit

Regarding a couple comments above:

• Uranium Lump from LRMS seemed okay to me, ~20 blocks of ore
  • Scyther seemed fine, didn't notice too much of a difference between b18 and 1.0 (besides the scyther classes and reskins, EMP or Shotgun walls are still the way to go)

Base Layout for some understanding:

- "main" resource of early income was a massive field of corn (you can see the storage on the center left)
- uncovered paths in the mountain on the left are power lines to geothermals - avoids fire and unnecessary destruction unless you have 8 or 9 zzzt's within the same 3 spots
- regarding the very last point with the drop pod raid - the guys dropped between Rec Room, corn storage & room below

Final words:
Thanks to Soviet & Alasdair for getting me into this game & my usual Base layouts are planned at the very start of a colony (sometimes with fog disabled to get more information on where to put what) and can take several hours :D

gadjung

I find it quite sad, that when colonist is fed up with me and decides to leave my colony, refuses my polite arrest invitation, gets beaten down by his former friends, I can only 'Rescue' him (and hope for him rejoining) and can not arrest/capture him (that was the point of beating him down).

*edit*
As i see 'Wild' man can be hunted and tamed like animals, yet their right click menu stays kind-of-human ?
Love the mechanic of Taming back colonists

I would say that any downed-yet-alive pawn should be able to arrest (friend/ally/neutral/visitor/enemy) of course with repercussions.

DariusWolfe

Quote from: PleaseBro on July 08, 2018, 04:14:18 PMYea but the room was probably something like 400 square tiles large and the fire was in a tiny little part of it and the entire place turned into 250 oven of hell that killed all my pawns.

Does seem like it might be a bit overtuned, then. Any chance you have a screenshot? Of course, removing a door turning an entire area "outdoors" and therefore ignoring dozens of fires is also a bit overtuned, so maybe it kinda balances it out.

Quote from: gadjung on July 08, 2018, 04:31:50 PMI would say that any downed-yet-alive pawn should be able to arrest (friend/ally/neutral/visitor/enemy) of course with repercussions.

I believe you can? You just have to draft your pawn to arrest them; I frequently have minor problems with accidentally telling a pawn to arrest another pawn when I'm just trying to place them in a specific place near the other pawn.

Sig

Randy extreme. Plasteel plate armor, normal quality, and a plasteel gladius normal quality, 10 melee skill, the pawn managed to down a scyther with charge lance on his own, with only some bruises as a result.

I like this new system. Before, even with armor, small wounds were inevitable in melee, which often ended up infected if not at base. Now melee warfare is much more viable and it pays off to use expensive and rare materials to craft armor.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another situation: a map with caves and dormant hives. When raiders appear (not sappers), they attack my double walls. When they destroy an outer wall block, some leave my fortress and go attack the insects in the caves, rather than to keep attacking the walls.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kinda an exploit: If the walls of an ancient shrine are claimed, raiders will go and attack it, liberating the mechanoids and bringing forth their doom, and the doom of the next 3-4 raids. In the end you get off your back some raids, and get someone else to kill the mechanoids for you. Maybe making shrine walls unclaimable would avoid this situation, though its up to the player to do it or not in the end.

Awe

Oh. Just laugh a lot. Ongoing siege. Allies come to help(first time in 6 years). A lot of casualities from allied and pirate sides. Also some downed pawns. Manage to rescue 2 allied pawns from spreading fire, bring them to hospital, patch. And right after this passing travelers rush in my hospital, with yells about rescueing innocents, and steal poor downed dudes from sterile hospital into wilderness. That was funny. ;D

Nymcom

Hey I really really like all the changes for 1.0 It's coming up well unfortunately there is a major bug in the game and that's the pshychite tea which I cannot craft on the crafting spot or the drug bench. (Yes, I've researched it)

[attachment deleted due to age]

Awe

Also, want to complain about animal farms. In my case its a ~90 hens atm.

1. Gathering eggs take too much hauling time if you try to feed hens by wild grass. In such case eggs scattered across big area and haulers just bring them 1 by 1 entire day. Also part of eggs is detorriate due to weather/outdoors completely. So its not an option.

2. Keeping hens at barn. Eggs right near freezer/kitchen, haulers happy. But here is another problem. Need to feed them "manually", and, damn, they are eat so much. 6 haygrass greenhouses just for this. While 3 greenhouses with corn just provide enough nutrition for 34 pawns. And even now i cant feed colony with fine meal w/o hunt. Seems like need twice more hens than i have now.

3. Random illness. Pretty frequent, and hit a big part of population. Additional wasted pawn time. Also handlers still feed ill animals with their stored fine meals and waste a lot of nutrition too. While kibble just under feets.

Resolution: still not worth efforts. Its much easier just obtain meat part of dishes via hunt or manhunters packs.

dearmad

Quote from: Awe on July 08, 2018, 07:10:43 PM
Also, want to complain about animal farms. In my case its a ~90 hens atm.

1. Gathering eggs take too much hauling time if you try to feed hens by wild grass. In such case eggs scattered across big area and haulers just bring them 1 by 1 entire day. Also part of eggs is detorriate due to weather/outdoors completely. So its not an option.

2. Keeping hens at barn. Eggs right near freezer/kitchen, haulers happy. But here is another problem. Need to feed them "manually", and, damn, they are eat so much. 6 haygrass greenhouses just for this. While 3 greenhouses with corn just provide enough nutrition for 34 pawns. And even now i cant feed colony with fine meal w/o hunt. Seems like need twice more hens than i have now.

3. Random illness. Pretty frequent, and hit a big part of population. Additional wasted pawn time. Also handlers still feed ill animals with their stored fine meals and waste a lot of nutrition too. While kibble just under feets.

Resolution: still not worth efforts. Its much easier just obtain meat part of dishes via hunt or manhunters packs.

I'm just so impressed you gave your chickens art!

Oblitus

Ah, that sapper logic... They just made a shortcut through walls around geothermal totally ignoring the geothermal itself.

Next day after split sapper raid - infestation. 15 nests. Bugs are okay (two wargs got their tails shot off), but destroying hives takes forever. Also, it is very easy to miss a bug since they don't have labels.

rdshen

Hey I think I found bugs. Was growing corn and noticed that it was taking forever. I wrote down these measurements for corn growth % over time. Just took the rough average of a large field at the start of the recorded day.
Planted in the fall, not sure exactly when
36% 7th summer
60% 13th summer - 24% in 6
69% 15th summer - 10% in 2
73% 1st fall - 4% in one day
86% 4th fall - 13% in 3 days
91% 5th fall - 5% in one day
Had to cut early b/c cold snap came in and end of growing period in 1 day. I haven't finished a full growth corn crop on this map yet.

It seems like corn is on a 25 day growing period atm, but if I'm not mistaken the info says 11. This is all taken in regular 100% fertility soil in boreal forest with no weather modifiers before the final cold snap.
I'm not sure if other plants were behaving the same way.

Edit: Ok so I guess I never paid close enough attention. Nevermind about growing times

Also going to take this time to post up some bugs/buggish things I snipped but didn't want to make a post over. Mostly from 30/60 day boreal hard but some from all year tropical extreme. Cassandra both cases.

->I noticed pulse charge munitions no longer requires gun tech

https://imgur.com/a/vz8yJVI
Album here for reference pictures

1 - Lamp on w/o power connection, remained when unpaused
2 - Phantom conduits, mentioned earlier. Used to be a windmill there
3 - Really stupid sappers, not pictured is Schroeder finishing knocking out a natural stone wall that used to be right in front of him. Idk how you fix this without opening up for exploitation though so..
4 - Healroot seems to be hardy enough to consistently survive very cold winters. However, it also consistently dies during the next growing season. If I plant the healroot too close to winter, it will die from being unharvested before it can be harvested in the next season.
5 - I had a man hunting caribou walk through and trigger three traps but take absolutely no damage. I don't know traps work at random currently but it seems buggy.
6 - No bug

Oblitus

Quote from: rdshea3 on July 08, 2018, 07:49:49 PM
It seems like corn is on a 25 day growing period atm, but if I'm not mistaken the info says 11.
The actual growing period is two times longer than declared since real days have not only day but also the night when plants won't grow. Also, low temperature is also a factor, as well as insolation that depends on altitude (you can notice that on polar bases solar power generators need much more time to go on full power).