How buggy is Alpha 7 yet?

Started by stefanstr, September 26, 2014, 05:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stefanstr

Quote from: Ykara on September 30, 2014, 03:40:28 AM
I stopped two weeks ago and Alpha 7 is still not out :I

Same here. :( And I have a feeling it will come out tomorrow, right before my business trip. (goes to sob quietly in the corner)

muffins

Those of us who didn't have the free time to volunteer to play-test Alpha 7 are like starving orphans. We have our grimy faces pressed against the window of Alpha 7, where inside the lucky testers are seated at a great banquet table. Uncle Tynan brings forth a great silver platter with "Alpha 7" engraved on its lid and places it upon the table. Uncle Tynan grabs the lid and is just about to reveal the full glory of Alpha 7 to all present when someone points out all the grubby faces pressed against the window. "Sorry guys, it's not ready yet" Uncle Tynan says, and draws the curtains.

We Alpha 7 starved urchins hang around outside in the freezing snow for a while, since there is nowhere else to go. Eventually one of the testers comes out, patting his belly in satisfaction like he had just enjoyed an extraordinarily exquisite meal, and we ask him what Alpha 7 was like. Is it as amazing as we believe it to be? "I can't talk about it," he said and proceeded to walk home with a great grin upon his face.

Then another tester comes out and we respectfully ask him "Will Uncle Tynan lead us to the sunny uplands of Alpha 7 soon?" He looks at us, sees our cloth caps held in frozen fingers, and the look of forlorn hope in our eyes, and he says "SoonTM", then leaves for home.

We stand dejected for a moment, when one of our number mumbles "Well, there is always Dwarf Fortress." Mental breaks sweep through our group at that moment. "Dwarf Fortress doesn't even have an interface!" one of us screams while pounding the snow-covered ground with his fists, tears streaming down his cheeks. Others start pounding their fists against the powered door to Alpha 7 with such single minded intent that they didn't notice the turrets powering up ...

I play too much RimWorld lol

userfredle

Hah! "I stopped for two weeks" You all know nothing of pain.

I played alpha 6 and instantly fell in love with the new combat being a dwarf fortress guy myself

But then I saw on the same day that there is no way to heal/replace/support Dead limbs like you can in dwarf fortress splints/crutches

Thus I was sure the combat was only 50% complete and the game unplayable, ive been waiting 46 days for this alpha and damn you tynan for being the best indie game developer ever.

Taking time to make alphas stable, who do you think you are?

stefanstr

Quote from: muffins on September 30, 2014, 04:04:17 AM
<snip>

You, sir, are a genius. It has been a long time since I last laughed that hard.

Telkir

Quote from: stefanstr on September 30, 2014, 04:18:20 AM
<snip>
You, sir, are a genius. It has been a long time since I last laughed that hard.
Yep, muffins wins this thread. +1 Internets to you!

Edit: Learned how2quote

MelanisticAlbino

Those of us who didn't have the free time to volunteer to play-test Alpha 7 are like starving orphans. We have our grimy faces pressed against the window of Alpha 7, where inside the lucky testers are seated at a great banquet table. Uncle Tynan brings forth a great silver platter with "Alpha 7" engraved on its lid and places it upon the table. Uncle Tynan grabs the lid and is just about to reveal the full glory of Alpha 7 to all present when someone points out all the grubby faces pressed against the window. "Sorry guys, it's not ready yet" Uncle Tynan says, and draws the curtains.

We Alpha 7 starved urchins hang around outside in the freezing snow for a while, since there is nowhere else to go. Eventually one of the testers comes out, patting his belly in satisfaction like he had just enjoyed an extraordinarily exquisite meal, and we ask him what Alpha 7 was like. Is it as amazing as we believe it to be? "I can't talk about it," he said and proceeded to walk home with a great grin upon his face.

Then another tester comes out and we respectfully ask him "Will Uncle Tynan lead us to the sunny uplands of Alpha 7 soon?" He looks at us, sees our cloth caps held in frozen fingers, and the look of forlorn hope in our eyes, and he says "SoonTM", then leaves for home.

We stand dejected for a moment, when one of our number mumbles "Well, there is always Dwarf Fortress." Mental breaks sweep through our group at that moment. "Dwarf Fortress doesn't even have an interface!" one of us screams while pounding the snow-covered ground with his fists, tears streaming down his cheeks. Others start pounding their fists against the powered door to Alpha 7 with such single minded intent that they didn't notice the turrets powering up ...

You don't have the time to volunteer as a tester for alpha 7 but you have the free time to write a short story about how much you want alpha 7?

... ;D

Pirx Danford

Quote from: MelanisticAlbino on September 30, 2014, 08:34:10 AMYou don't have the time to volunteer as a tester for alpha 7 but you have the free time to write a short story about how much you want alpha 7?

... ;D

In this case I am happy about that, because if muffins would play Alpha 7 Tynan would still not fix it up faster (he really has enough testers) - but we got a very good short story with many laughs.

Thanks muffins ^^

Dr. Z

Soo...just finished my rush to the spaceship and got my first successfull lift of from a RimWorld with only my three starters all the time, I like to imagine that this was only possible because of my genius way to choose and lead my guys, so please don't disillusion me ;)

Now it's time for some new stuff...

Besides, Tynan would never raise his guns against us...wouldn't he?
Prasie the Squirrel!

Justin C

That made my day. ;D

Tynan

If only you knew the other side of the story...

The testers walk in and sit down to a scrumptious-looking banquet. They gobble down roast chicken and slurp wine as fast as they can. Then someone notices a cockroach at the bottom of the wine glass. Another scream erupts as someone finds an eyeball embedded in their chicken breast. One tester keels over, retching, because of the rat poison in the potatoes.

"Cockroach in the wine, you say?" says Tynan. "Sounds like a bug, can anyone write down some repro steps please?"
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

JimmyAgnt007

And then we tell him the wine barrel is full of them.  He goes looking for it but cant find the barrel and thinks we are just making it up.  Then we go to show him and its like the barrel is gone and we feel silly.

StorymasterQ

Quote from: Tynan on September 30, 2014, 07:30:41 PM
"Cockroach in the wine, you say?" says Tynan. "Sounds like a bug, can anyone write down some repro steps please?"

Yes, definitely a bug. In every sense of the word :D
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Matthiasagreen

Then someone else says yeah there is an eye on the chicken, but it is still edible. Maybe it is supposed to be there...
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

Buccee

Meh... tired like hell :P i just quote something from page 1...
But hey i dunno why but i got a good feeling! ^^

TowelMovement