Sanguine vs. Iron-Willed

Started by vampiresoap, September 09, 2018, 07:07:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zgrssd

Quote from: Firestonezz on September 10, 2018, 02:27:06 PM
Quote from: zgrssd on September 10, 2018, 12:55:11 PM
Quote from: bbqftw on September 10, 2018, 12:24:32 PM
It's actually stunning how little people actually seem to play the game, or actually observe what is going on. Sanguine in vast majority of cases is better.
You asume the rules have not changed in any time sicne you made that measurement/observation.
And we literally just had a patch that changed how Apparel and Material values work from the ground up, without mentioning it the patchnotes (well, it falls "under other stuff that was to much to mention").

bbqftw's observation regarding mental break thresholds only changing by 4% is true for the most recent version of the game, B19.
Okay, then that drastically reduces it's value.

It still has some value, as it changes the chance of Extreme Break from 5% to 1%. And it will counteract penalties like "too smart". But for Major and Minor it is pretty much useless. Unless Tynan plans stuff like having temporary modifiers that change the break thresholds (like a reworked psychic soothe/drone effects), I am not sure what it's point is besides penalty negation.

vampiresoap

I think you guys are kind of missing a big point in this thread. While Iron-willed pawns do break more than Sanguine ones, they rarely go on murder sprees. Personally, I think this is really useful when you're playing on sea ice or extreme desert where you kind of have to force non-cannibals to consume human meat early on.

Limdood

Quote from: vampiresoap on September 10, 2018, 11:32:22 PM
I think you guys are kind of missing a big point in this thread. While Iron-willed pawns do break more than Sanguine ones, they rarely go on murder sprees. Personally, I think this is really useful when you're playing on sea ice or extreme desert where you kind of have to force non-cannibals to consume human meat early on.
Is this your impression, or do you have data to back this up?

zgrssd

Quote from: Limdood on September 11, 2018, 12:33:52 AM
I kind off asumed that how far you are below the break treshold is the chance to roll this "level" of break. Whenever breaks are rolled, that is.

But I would like to have some experimental or code confirmation too.

vampiresoap

Please read the previous posts, but you can also easily try this yourself with dev mode.

Naraku

Personally, even if it does happen to be that sanguine pawns, when they do break, are more violent or have less desirable types of breaks by comparison to iron-willed pawns I'd still prefer the former over the latter. But that is largely due to the fact that my pawns don't tend to break even without those two traits, when they do they're 'soft' breaks. I could probably count on one hand how many games I've had where a pawn has had a severe break down.

So, sanguine only helps as it improves my pawn's mood additionally on top of what they have, while iron-willed just prevents them from breaking (which they typically don't, even without it). Admittedly, I haven't done a lot of testing to give a highly educated opinion, because I don't really see either of the two as my top desirable traits. Definitely better then some, but it doesn't really make me think differently, like trigger-happy does.

Limdood

Quote from: vampiresoap on September 11, 2018, 07:11:54 PM

Please read the previous posts, but you can also easily try this yourself with dev mode.
I'm really not looking to drop pawn mood on 100,000 pawns and wait for them to break to get a large enough pool of results to make it anything but confirmation bias.

testing 5, or 10, or 20, or even 100 pawns will not give any credible data

vampiresoap

Quote from: Limdood on September 12, 2018, 09:03:53 AM
Quote from: vampiresoap on September 11, 2018, 07:11:54 PM

I'm really not looking to drop pawn mood on 100,000 pawns and wait for them to break to get a large enough pool of results to make it anything but confirmation bias.

testing 5, or 10, or 20, or even 100 pawns will not give any credible data
You don't need to test 100 pawns. You just need to have 10 identical pawns: 5 Sanguine, 5 Iron-willed. And then record how many times they break as you're playing the game normally. Can even put them in extreme situations to see what happens. You make it sound like it's a chore. It's actually fun.

Lads

The two are two opposite sides to the same problem - mental break.

While one of them gives a permanent bonus, which helps and prevents getting into a state of fury, the other gives a less aggressive and enduring state of fury.
In short, a pre-remediation and a post-remediation.