[A13] Combat Realism v.1.6.5 (08.05.16) Final release

Started by NoImageAvailable, January 29, 2015, 12:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grizzlyadamz

I'm sure this gets asked all the time but: what other mods does everyone use in conjuction with this?

Krutchen

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on May 04, 2016, 03:09:00 PM
Just a quick progress update, turrets are pretty much fully functional, both the automated and manned variants.

Are these in the dev branch at the moment? I could find the automated turrets, but not the manned ones.

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: Krutchen on May 04, 2016, 06:46:36 PM
Just a quick progress update, turrets are pretty much fully functional, both the automated and manned variants.

Are these in the dev branch at the moment? I could find the automated turrets, but not the manned ones.

Only the code for the main mod is on github, all the new turrets are in the Defence Pack addon which is not.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

Krutchen

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on May 04, 2016, 06:59:48 PM
Quote from: Krutchen on May 04, 2016, 06:46:36 PM

Only the code for the main mod is on github, all the new turrets are in the Defence Pack addon which is not.

Oh, good point. Guess I'll have to wait for all that goodness :(

Devon_v

Quote from: Grizzlyadamz on May 04, 2016, 05:41:06 PM
I'm sure this gets asked all the time but: what other mods does everyone use in conjuction with this?
I'm just using Hospitality, Apparello, the EdB suite and Pawn State Icons. a13 has a lot of new stuff, and doesn't need as many mods, IMO, to be enjoyable.

I'm planning to add Rimfire so that I can actually use all the new bullets.

One quick question I do have: Can pawns with personal shields be given a different combat behavior regarding suppression and hunkering? While on the player side it could be seen as a fix for the whole shielded decoy trick, melee raiders should really focus on getting into melee with my guns, not diving behind cover and giving me all the time in the world to break their shields.

Famous Shoes

Quote from: Goldenpotatoes on May 03, 2016, 07:03:23 PM
I've almost completed an Extreme Randy run, currently finishing up ship research after 2 years in.

The biggest thing you can do is get ahold of rifles as quickly as possible and put clear out any front protection assaulting forces can use against you.

If you have enough open space, most mid-tier rifles can easily out-range the group and pick them off as they come, which usually sends them scattering and thinning out the forces even more. Binocular spotting for artillery runs is also great fun when you're dealing with a siege group/raid that's waiting before the attack.

I guess Randy can certainly let one get through since there's as much chance to be let off the hook early in the game as to be crushed and then in the late game the CR impossibilities become challenges instead. And of course save scumming has much more utility with Randy; so that's probably good advice. With Cassandra I save scum a first-Fall Scyther raid of 8 (vs 4 colonists) and Cassandra rerolls it as 10 heavily armed human raiders with a mix of melee, heavy and light weapons. I've noodled around some more with Cassandra and tried save scumming specifically to see whether the impossible scenarios are outliers or not. Unfortunately not.

Slaughter

AllenWL

Rimfire, for the high-caliber guns and RPGs and such, then stonecutting tweak, and that's about it.
The rest are just small things that don't even change the gameplay, like a mod that changes the healroot's name back to xerigium.
Currently trying out crash-landing, but not sure if I like it, so I'll probably remove it for the next colony.

Edit:
So... got my first mechanoid raid with CR.
At first, I thought it won't be so bad. It was just scythers, and all my guys had armor vests of decent quality. Plus, we had a RPG with HEAT rounds.
I thought we'll just cover our RPG-user with our other pawns and take out the scythers one by one.

At first, the engagement seemed to be going well. We took out about three scythers with the RPG. Then, a pawn(who was also the most secure) got hit.... and was incapacitated. Instantly. Soon enough, all pawns where incapacitated very quickly(the pawn who was behind a wall was taking most of the hits before. Sandbags are not very protective). It took about two shots, maybe three, sometimes one.
I thought it was weird, so I checked their health tab, which showed that shots to the armored parts where barely blocked. I thought that was weird, so I checked the scythers.

Apparently, the scyther's ammo has 100% armor penetration. 100%.
I can understand them having insane armor. They're giant killer robots, and we do have things like EMPs and grenades and mortars and such to take them down.

But 100% armor penetration? The high damage and the secondary explosive damage is bad enough, but 100% penetration? When for the most part, the most defensive thing you'll have is just an armor vest? What, are we supposed to never engage mechanoids at all until we get power armor and charge rifles for everyone?

Helixien

Yeah, I tried everything and so far I dont get any buttons to reload or anything. CCL is right after core and CR right after that. I dont know why but yeah, it just wont work for me.

MarbleOfSin

I keep getting this prompt when I try to activate this mod in mod menu. Even if I only have core, core library and CL active.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

st james jack john

Is there anyway to create a build for my colonist including weapons and ammo?

Its a pain in the ass to equip an entire colony when a raid hits, impossible if you have more than 10 colonists.

Krutchen

Quote from: st james jack john on May 05, 2016, 08:24:09 AM
Is there anyway to create a build for my colonist including weapons and ammo?

Its a pain in the ass to equip an entire colony when a raid hits, impossible if you have more than 10 colonists.

Use the loadout tab. Make outfits for raids.
Try having one or two dedicated guards that are always equipped for combat, so that they can buy time and defend while you have the rest of your combat capable guys swap to their loadout & outfit to soldiering gear.

Remember, the Outfit and the Loadout tabs are your friends, they make things a thousand times simpler.

Colonist51

Quote from: iWilliBlecha on May 05, 2016, 05:02:18 AM
Yeah, I tried everything and so far I dont get any buttons to reload or anything. CCL is right after core and CR right after that. I dont know why but yeah, it just wont work for me.

Try the following steps, it worked for me:

1. Disable all mods
2. Reload the game.
3. Enable CCL and CR.
4. Reload the game.
5. Create a new world, start a colony, check if you can reload the guns. If yes, follow the next step. If not, reinstall your game and do steps 3-5, this should certainly work.
6. Enable your other mods one at a time and reload the game after enabling each mod.
7. Create a new world, start a colony, check if you can reload the guns. If yes, follow the next step. If not, well, I guess there's an incompatibility between CR and one of the mods. In which case, you would have to find out which mod is causing that.
8. ????????
9. Profit!

If this works, I think you would have to start a new colony all over again though.

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: AllenWL on May 04, 2016, 10:01:40 PM
Edit:
So... got my first mechanoid raid with CR.
At first, I thought it won't be so bad. It was just scythers, and all my guys had armor vests of decent quality. Plus, we had a RPG with HEAT rounds.
I thought we'll just cover our RPG-user with our other pawns and take out the scythers one by one.

At first, the engagement seemed to be going well. We took out about three scythers with the RPG. Then, a pawn(who was also the most secure) got hit.... and was incapacitated. Instantly. Soon enough, all pawns where incapacitated very quickly(the pawn who was behind a wall was taking most of the hits before. Sandbags are not very protective). It took about two shots, maybe three, sometimes one.
I thought it was weird, so I checked their health tab, which showed that shots to the armored parts where barely blocked. I thought that was weird, so I checked the scythers.

Apparently, the scyther's ammo has 100% armor penetration. 100%.
I can understand them having insane armor. They're giant killer robots, and we do have things like EMPs and grenades and mortars and such to take them down.

But 100% armor penetration? The high damage and the secondary explosive damage is bad enough, but 100% penetration? When for the most part, the most defensive thing you'll have is just an armor vest? What, are we supposed to never engage mechanoids at all until we get power armor and charge rifles for everyone?

It sounds like a combination of bad luck and wrong tool for the job to me. Scythers don't have half the armor of a Centipede, less than a normal quality steel vest even. Even regular rifle rounds have a very high chance of penetrating. Their durability comes from the fact that since they feel no pain you'll need repeated hits to vital parts to take them down. Even so, any penetration is very likely to hit some internal body part which will quickly erode their effectiveness to nothing.

HEAT warheads are designed to destroy tanks, using them on anything shy of a Centipede is not only overkill, it is ineffective too. An RPG has a very low rate of fire and lackluster accuracy, unless your target is actually the size of a tank your chances of hitting are slim and HEAT only does damage on a direct hit. Against soft targets like Scythers or armored infantry you should either switch to a backup rifle or use thermobarics if they're clustered or in a position with strong cover.

The armor penetration is to keep them at least marginally relevant later on in the game. Their armor is weak and their weapons have an extremely low rate of fire, armor penetration is literally all they have going for them. Once you get a decent assortment of heavy weapons Scythers turn into pure chaff, if I made their weapons so weak they couldn't even pierce normal quality power armor they would be no threat at all. Their hits are weak enough that they're very unlikely to kill, especially in one shot, but as long as they can hurt you through armor they remain a factor on the battlefield.

Quote from: iWilliBlecha on May 05, 2016, 05:02:18 AM

Missing buttons are usually caused by loading into a corrupted game state after changing mods. Did you make sure you restarted the game after opening the mod window?
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

Grizzlyadamz

Hmm, how much damage gets through PA at 100% penetration? All of it or only some?

In theory at least, I think I'm partial to what AllenWL thought the balance was- mechanoids all being tough, with a fearsome assortment of weapons, vs scythers being chaff with fearsome weapons.
What I'd like to see (in theory, again, haven't tested much so this might be claptrap):
-Make scyther's durability about on-par with power armor. Late-game you'll be on even footing, and will have to rely on weaponry & other defenses to win.
-Give them a very good chance to spawn with charge rifles. 60% or so. They're a surrogate soldier after-all, so it makes sense that alot of them would have more traditional infantry weaponry. In the meantime, it'll modulate their threat to less-armored, earlier-game colonists.
-Make sure the charge rifle still has a small amount of penetration against power armor. (Again, haven't play-tested yet, might be wasting my time describing the game as-is)
-Buff the charge lance slightly. Faster-firing to make up for fewer of them, & make sure it has pretty good penetration against power-armor regardless of performance against lower-tier stuff.

With those changes, scythers/mechanoids will still be a nightmare early-game, (in fact moreso, since standard rifle rounds will have a hard time dealing with them), but they won't cut through your lower-tier armor quite as easily. Instead it'll be a small, high-armor raid where you can prioritize taking out the most dangerous weapons (charge lances) before dealing with the charge-rifle troopers.

Did I hit with any of this or did I just wiff the whole thing?

-edit
Oh hey forgot to mention:
Quote from: RepliesRimfire
Y'know, after looking around, I think I might prefer the look & selection of HighCaliber. More iconic, easily-discerned weapons, and all of it's 'modern' stuff. No WWI top-fed antiques.
Unless the sounds are as obnoxious as in their YT video.
Man I need to get playtesting.