Surviving at -58C (-73F)

Started by REMworlder, December 11, 2014, 09:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

REMworlder

Hey guys, last night I tried to survive in the coldest environment I could find. Below's a short album with commentary, and also some takeaways.

http://imgur.com/a/I0xGx

Survival:
-Planning is most important. Heated space and resources are limited on the tundra, so I had to be careful about wasting them. I was lucky a metal deposit was near the geothermal heat.
-Parkas are easier to take than craft. Not seen is some cotton I grew, but honestly food was more important, as it was harder to get than parkas. Just one is enough to let a colonist haul in survival meals scattered across the map without collapsing.

Combat:
-Super-extreme cold is kind of helpful against raiders, as you can (rightfully) outlast them in a firefight.
-Conversely, my colonists had a lot of bloody melee fights with raiders who'd try to set the place alight. I had a few rushes against me where I assume raiders were targeting the warm/safe real estate.
-Released prisoners often manage to make it off the map before freezing, even naked in -50F weather. Or at least all mine did.

In the Future:
-Geothermals power stations release a lot more heat than regular vents. Next time I'll just put time and resources into building one instead of heaters and other power sources.
-Temperatures in super cold regions seem to rise a lot in the summer, even more than in less cold regions. Could be useful for stockpiling.

edit: the Rimworld forums don't like � degree signs apparently

ZestyLemons

And I thought my -35C colony was bad, that's actually incredible.

Brb, time to do something equally suicidal and start a colony in a ultra-hot place.
Help out with the wiki!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Divaya/
Wiki: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/User:Zesty

Feel free to contact me about wiki questions or wiki admin stuff.

litlbear

"a room heated by only geo-thermal energy" lmao i died at that idk why.  i like cold enviroments, but that's insane
yes

Mikhail Reign

I haven't found the cold that challenging. My inital colonists plus a couple of recruits found no problem living in -53 with only the exhaust from a freezer as a heater. It was already a few months in before I decided to upgrade their clothes. At the 2 year stage I realised one of my haulers was 'naked' (had armour on, no clothes) and it hadn't really bothered him on his cross map walks.....

iame6162013

Quote from: litlbear on December 11, 2014, 11:19:19 PM
"a room heated by only geo-thermal energy" lmao i died at that idk why.  i like cold enviroments, but that's insane
trust me it can get a lot worse xD
Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Ptolisgoodguy

I've survived a minus 85C before.(ice sheets mod biome.)

*shudder* it was so grim.

Not ONE of my first three or any of the next TEN! (I mean seriously TEN!?!) survived and I barely got anything done until the food situation was dealt with. I was surviving off the megascarabs you get from cryptosleep pods for heavens sake.
first I had to create a comms console and buy food.
when I finally got hydroponics up we were starving. they ate the potatoes raw.
It finally got sorted out but everything was on edge constantly.
I hear the voices... They are telling me to do terrible things... Sounds Fun!