Bullet in the brain

Started by Ink., October 05, 2014, 01:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ink.

So one of my girls took a bullet to the brain. She's practically useless now. Is there anything I can get and use on an operation on her or is it time for her to go?

milon

Make her a cleaning maid?  Otherwise, it's organ harvest time.  (Note: Take only 1 kidney and 1 lung so you can still harvest the heart. You can't harvest organs from a dead pawn.)

TheXIIILightning

Quote from: Ink. on October 05, 2014, 01:01:54 PM
So one of my girls took a bullet to the brain. She's practically useless now. Is there anything I can get and use on an operation on her or is it time for her to go?

Nope, at this point in the game there is nothing that you can do for her. Unless you want to have her slowly clean up your colony, it's better to simply operate on her to sell a few of her organs, or to keep her around in case a slaver ship shows up.

Ink.

Disappointing. I have one of my Privates with the same problem. They've served the colony well.

ZestyLemons

Actually, I'm pretty sure even with severe brain injuries, a colonist can wake up.

I remember someone posting a picture of some colonist that took an M16 bullet to the brain (-7) and eventually woke up.
Help out with the wiki!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Divaya/
Wiki: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/User:Zesty

Feel free to contact me about wiki questions or wiki admin stuff.

ShadowTani

From 3 HP remaining and up the brain injured person is able to continue working. However, they will be severely handicapped and slowed down, and you usually therefore just end up getting rid of them anyway. Among all the prosthetic's I think having the brain as the one thing that can't be recovered is actually pretty acceptable.

RemingtonRyder

Hmm, I dunno about that.  I mean, I think that a cybernetic brain should be very hard to come by and expensive to boot, but not outside the bounds of possibility.

Mathenaut

Can try going the SS13 route and using someone's brain to house an AI? lol

ShadowTani

If you replaced a persons brain with an AI that person would be essentially dead and replaced anyway, at least according to my logic - I'd much rather have the opportunity to put that AI inside a mechanoid carcass instead.

With that said, I'm more in favor of neuroregeneration then, which is a real form of medicine being developed to treat brain injury. Something like that could be introduced to the game as well, where the treatment process would take a long time, but at least allowed for a slow and gradual regeneration of the brain. I still believe any damage to the brain should at least cause a hard loss of experience to all skills though. I'm in favor of consequences. Consequences is fun. x3

Spectre

Quote from: Mathenaut on October 05, 2014, 02:08:54 PM
Can try going the SS13 route and using someone's brain to house an AI? lol

Was just about to post the same. The A.I core is rare and extremely expensive so why not? I usually have a few lying around anyway if I have no intention of leaving the planet.
Holding hands whilst the walls come tumbling down.

Ink.

I'm aware they can awake and work. But their abilities at that point are so much worse and they're so inefficient that to me it's easier to just kill them and sell their parts off. Got a big base and it's hard for them to efficiently work if they can hardly move.

Geokinesis

I keep them around, they can do whatever slowly and be looked after by the others  :)

christhekiller

Quote from: marvinkosh on October 05, 2014, 01:59:19 PM
Hmm, I dunno about that.  I mean, I think that a cybernetic brain should be very hard to come by and expensive to boot, but not outside the bounds of possibility.

It'd be cool if it gave them, new, completely random, (maybe high level) traits. Since you're essentially scooping out everything that was them, and putting in something new

Ink.

Quote from: christhekiller on October 05, 2014, 05:12:33 PM
Quote from: marvinkosh on October 05, 2014, 01:59:19 PM

It'd be cool if it gave them, new, completely random, (maybe high level) traits. Since you're essentially scooping out everything that was them, and putting in something new

Or make them even more of a potato than they currently are. So potentially, even if the target colonist doesn't /need/ a new one, it's a high risk -- potential high reward move. You acquire an expensive new brain, and you /might/ get a colonist whose traits/abilities make up for the investment or you make them more of a potato and get in the fetal position for that silver you just lost. Or is that going too far/too unbalanced?

ITypedThis

I usually dress the colonist in a white cotton T-shirt and pants, dig them a grave (preferably on the beach, facing the sea), and have them euthanized and buried.

Let their suffering end.