Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sirsir

Quote from: cactusmeat on July 20, 2018, 01:15:04 PM
i do find it very odd that pawns that go wild will feed on insect jelly in plain sight of insects and not get attacked. how intelligent are these creatures to know that this human won't attack but others who walk by unarmed get attacked?

the other thing that bothers me about the colonist going wild is you have to tame them, you can't arrest them, beat them down (because 99% of the time they die upon being unconscious like they're suddenly a raider with a cyanide pill)

I like that the event exists, and i do like that the pawn will self tend. I'm wondering how they survive on winter maps however. the first thing my pawn did was strip down in a cave and party with the bugs.

I finally got a wildman event, great pawn that I got on the first try! (tamer 14 in animals, 40% chance)

Bug AI is weird. They won't attack neutral wild animals, but they attack the ones that go berserk, even though the MANhunter animals pose no threat to them. Had a small herd of ibex get triggered and run through a cave and it was quite the battle!

I like the trap change actually. It nerfs overuse, but leaves moderate usage mostly intact. You just accordion it out, its not a hard nerf until you got to the point that used to REALLY abuse it.

I have a pawn with 100% recruitment difficulty... he was still possible to recruit, which is a little confusing. I thought he would be impossible to recruit...

Nynzal

Tynan, the story I made up was that this guy got exiled from the tribe for cannibalism and I did not recruit any new pawns at all - all colonist deaths were people wandering in or refugees that did not have the trait. I know that it is a horror story and the scenario is planned do create one. I am just sad that I didnt manage to find a second cannibal :D
Winter is coming

patr

Few thoughts in no particular order playing on cassandra hard:

Caravans:

It seems like recently several colonists are breaking basically on arrival or right after a fight(more than usual), which is fine but some of the new breaks cause some super awkward situations. Finished a gun battle at a pirate base only to have one my three starting colonists, basically my go to constructor who founded the colony immediately break after being undrafted into gave up and walk off the map, since I had no structure or bed I couldn't even arrest him....its like ok dude that was kind of random. Maybe caravans could get a temporary mood boost from winning battles like new colony hope to give them a second to stabilize their mood before they go berserk. The way it plays out right now is kind of weird, you win a fight but because everyone is extremely tired and your food is still on your pack animals everyone just immediately goes crazy. I guess the frustrating thing about it is I do go out of my way to try to immediately manage their mood, I am carrying a table and horseshoes to install immediately to cut the debuffs but it still feels punishing whenever you hit a new area even if I can stabilize them within 24 hours.

Love the removal of rocket launchers from caravan raids, i actually engage in fire fights now as opposed to just making sure i always have rocket launchers to fire first with.

Like the new long range mineral scanner, i feel like it would be cool if the spawned maps had a little more surface iron it would make it less tedious if your actually caravaning and not drop podding back and forth. Give you some incentive to set up a quick base and make the pods yourself as opposed to sending stuff from your main base. The maps feel conspicuously empty. I might just be getting unlucky, I have only done a few.

Overall I think caravans are more fun in 1.0 but it would be nice if the LRMS screens had something more to do. It feels engaging to set up a little mini-base and manage everyone for a couple days and then break camp, but there isn't enough to do on the map to make it feel worthwhile to set up a mini base. On the whole though they add nice layovers while your wandering around.

High wealth raids:

The triple pirate raid with high wealth feels cataclysmic, I have no idea how you defend against three groups of raiders who all have rocket launchers and grenades coming from all sides without save scumming. Everything else seemed reasonable too me but the smash and grab tactic of the three way pirate raid seems to always leave everything in ruins. I mean that's cool but feels a tad too hard. I am consider turning down the difficulty, but i feel like I can handle everything else ok, but these are just world enders when you have too much wealth.

UI suggestion:
Allow select all zoning on custom zones : It seems trivial but it would be amazing to be able to switch all animals/people to a custom zone with shift click, right now it only works for Unrestricted and home. Its one of those things that becomes tedious when you have to do it for every threat.

jchavezriva

Please reconsider this new low EMP stun times.

With this new armor system where mechanoids have a decent chance of completely deflecting bullets, fighting them with such low stun times is impossible. On Hard difficulty at least it is.

EvadableMoxie

Started a new run. Cass Extreme temperature forest.

I captured my first initial raider who was a tribal, then on the next raid captured 2 more tribals.  Every one of them broke almost immediately once they could walk, due to being in pain. This caused them to attack eachother and only made that problem worse.  One of them managed to destroy the leg of a fellow prisoner with her fist. I had to release two of them due to permanent injuries, and in the meantime captured a raider.  Then were was a prison break that resulted in the last tribal being shot to death and the raider back into mind shattering pain.

This is really annoying because it's now like a triple check to get prisoners to join you.  Unless you used a stun lance or something most prisoners are going to be people you captured from being down due to pain, which means a massive mood penalty for that until healed.  So first, you need to wait for them to heal because otherwise you're almost guaranteed they'll be in a poor mood while hurt.  If they break from the pain you have to subdue them and repeat that process all over again.  Then you need to break through resistance once you can actually do more than tiny amounts due to poor mood. Then finally once that's done you get a chance to recruit.

I'm still doing it because I have no choice.  There is no way to pro-actively recruit pawns in Rimworld.  All pawns come from random events you cannot control, so the only option you ever have in terms of recruitment is "Yes" or "No." Since there's basically no other strategy I can change over to, it actually doesn't matter how easy or hard it is to recruit.  I'm going to keep doing it because the other option is to just do nothing. There's no alternative recruitment strategy I can pivot to.

Lanilor

My only guy in (excellent) power armor just got onehit by an elefant scratch to the neck. A was really shocked when it happened. I know I said earlier that hunting elefants is boring, but I didn't wanted this either. :D
Are they now intended to be this dangerous?

DubskiDude

Continuing my run on RR Rough, 12 pawns, 289k wealth.

Twice in the last hour or two my colony has been hit with mechanoids drop-podding into the base. 12-15 Scythers (no other mechanoid types) get to run rampant in my colony for free. The recent sharp armor nerf was well deserved, but Scythers in this particular situation, where they just drop in and bypass all my defenses, is pretty broken. I have no turrets for support inside the colony, the scythers are numerous and easily close the distance, and they get to kill our colony animals willy-nilly. Even with only 40% sharp armor they don't seem to die very quickly, but I wouldn't vouch for another nerf.

The first raid I had several pawns downed with several permanent injuries. Lost an eye, an arm, and a leg. I've save scummed the second raid about 5 times already, and it ALWAYS results in a pawn death and several animal deaths (animals are particularly stupid and/or slow when I tell them to get indoors where it's safe). I'm starting to wonder what's the point of having these expensive autocannon and sniper turrets, since mechanoids can, and often do, just drop pod behind them. They also get to run up and vandalize any turret (besides mini) for free, killing a ton of resources, while I'm stuck running around cleaning up individual scythers. It's also pretty counterintuitive, but telling all my shooter pawns to melee them with their guns is a better option, because it feels like the scythers die quicker, there's no risk of friendly fire, and it doesn't wreck all my stuff, since guns are so inaccurate.

Also, do raids even take into account how many pawns you have that can fight? Or is it all just based on colony wealth?

Dashthechinchilla

I got a second wild man. I noticed that the tame message says 10 percent, while the wildlife panel says 50 percent chance to have the negative reaction to tame.

Randy rough tribal, two non violent and 4 fighters. My streak of wild men ended with my second raid in the second month. The hostile outlander union attacked with 6 guys. I had 18k wealth. Since the outlander factions are better geared, I didn't even take one down. They left two fighters dead and took the other two.

EvadableMoxie

Latest playthrough is over on day 36. Cass Extreme, Temperate Forest.

I was struggling to recruit.  no wanderers, only 1 escape pod and it was a bad pawn with an ambrosia addiction that wouldn't have helped me any. I took every prisoner that went down alive captive but only managed to recruit 1 shortly behind the end.

I got a siege on day 36 with 7 pirates.  I had just finished smithing and was starting on machning so my weapons weren't great.  I had 3 pawns with bolt actions, 1 normal 2 poor, plus one melee brawler pawn.  The area was too open to really utilize the melee pawn, and while I tried to kite them since it was seige they wouldn't have any of it.  My chances to hit on them at max range were in single digits.

They fired a single shell at my colony which landed in the middle of a room, so even if I had won the fight I was probably losing most of my buildings and I don't think I would have recovered anyway.  It should be noted I had pretty good armor, I'd acquired a set of plate and an advanced helmet so I was ahead of the game there.

What could I have done differently? I don't like to make excuses here but I honestly don't feel like there was anything I could have done that would have changed the outcome. Yea, I wouldn't have lost my base if it wasn't still made of wood and I might have won the fight if I had better weapons, but I don't think I could have had all that done by day 36 when I never had more than 3 pawns until around 30 days in.   I feel like the answer here would have been to not get screwed on recruiting and not get a siege on day 36.

cactusmeat

i just rolled a tough wimp tribesman, please explain.

EvadableMoxie

Tough is a physical trait. Their body is more sturdy than usual so they take less damage.

Wimp is a mental trait. They are more sensitive to pain and faint from less pain.

So a Tough Wimp physically takes less damage, but mentally faints more easily.

Anniebenlen

Quote from: Dashthechinchilla on July 20, 2018, 01:04:47 PM
I had the Wildman event. It was a good pawn, but I had difficulty taming. The message was poor mood on a tame event. Eventually his 50% chance triggered and he went berserk. I put him down.

By chance I had my first Wildman today.  Also a good pawn, but I trained her with no problem at all.  It took I think three in-game days or so.  I wonder if I just got lucky or if you just got unlucky.

ticket

Not so much a playthrough story, but still perhaps some relevant feedback. I've been thinking about the reasons I stop playing a colony. The reasons tended to come down the fact that some aspect of the tedium involved in managing the colony didn't scale well as the colony expanded. To be fair, managing the colony does tend to scale very well for the majority of tasks. However, some of the interfaces like trading and forming caravans become cumbersome to navigate when the colony is large (oops I forgot to pack the bedrolls again).

Some micromanagement issues also arise when the colony is large.
- Replacing walls/doors with a different material is annoying to do.
- Manually selecting pawns with a break risk to consume drugs can become tedious as the game goes on. A setting where pawns consume if and only if they are at a break risk would save some pausing and micromanaging at least for my play-style.
- Tending pawns with non-bleeding wounds like cracks and bruises without micromanaging the medicine used also becomes a chore. Letting pawns self-tend only those wounds would save some doctoring micro. Better yet, assigning certain medicines to certain ailments would be amazing.
- Last time I played a colony the default behavior for traps had auto-rearm off, argh!

whitebunny

No mods. Day 36 on Cassandra hard - naked brutality temperate forest - disease freq 1.2 per year.
Two of my three colonists get the flu, 10 seconds later one of the already sick pawns gets the plague on top of the flu while the only remaining healthy pawn contracts the flu as well.
One day later another pawn contracts the plague on top of the flu leaving me with two double disease pawns and one with only the flu. They all die obviously.
Is this intended behavior and i had a pretty bad roll? I never had this happen to me and i've been playing a lot lol.

Falsewall

Quote from: ticket on July 20, 2018, 07:16:54 PM

- Manually selecting pawns with a break risk to consume drugs can become tedious as the game goes on. A setting where pawns consume if and only if they are at a break risk would save some pausing and micromanaging at least for my play-style.

You can not only already do this, you can limit the max they can consume per day or days.