Most protective non-armor outfit?

Started by vampiresoap, September 13, 2018, 12:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shurp

Back to the topic, from the wiki:

"1.The armor rating is reduced by the armor penetration value. The value is dependent on the weapon."

The excellent devilstrand duster has a sharp armor rating of 54.6%.  The awful charge lance has a penetration of 40%.  So if the reduction is arithmetic, the duster still offers 14.6% protection.  Against the 67% legendary lance it offers a literal zero.

If the reduction is geometric, then the duster offers 33% and 18% respectively.

In any case, a regular duster isn't giving much protection against a charge lance.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Drewski

Quote from: Shurp on September 14, 2018, 07:14:18 AMIn any case, a regular duster isn't giving much protection against a charge lance.

Maybe. I'm not sure how the duster will interact with pants. Does the duster get figured first and pants second, or do they stack in some way before reduction?

Lads

Quote from: Drewski on September 14, 2018, 06:06:06 AM
Just to make sure we're all on the same page here, here are assembled screencaps of excellent jacket and duster stats for lizard, devil, and hyper. Another image of an awful and legendary charge lance, since the issue came up, lancers can spawn with varying quality weapons, and I had dev mode open already.

https://imgur.com/a/5cVj0vD

As you can see, dusters and jackets are identical except for leg protection and insulation. Lizardskin is far worse than devilstrand in every way, so I don't know what people are excited about there.

I don't know how armor penetration works, especially with multiple layers of armor, so I don't really have an opinion on duster v. lancer.

I'm still starting the game, I do not know much about everything.
And my ship fell into a region where there are not so many good resources, and lizard skin is what there is hehe

bbqftw

Quote from: Drewski on September 14, 2018, 07:48:45 AM
Quote from: Shurp on September 14, 2018, 07:14:18 AMIn any case, a regular duster isn't giving much protection against a charge lance.

Maybe. I'm not sure how the duster will interact with pants. Does the duster get figured first and pants second, or do they stack in some way before reduction?
each layer is calculated separately, and full armor penetration is calculated against each one.

So a 72% shirt and 72% duster will provide no protection against legend glance with 72 ap

vampiresoap

Quote from: bbqftw on September 14, 2018, 11:15:21 AM

each layer is calculated separately, and full armor penetration is calculated against each one.

So a 72% shirt and 72% duster will provide no protection against legend glance with 72 ap

So armor basically sucks in Rimworld? lol...I've had too many decked out pawns died to naked raiders carrying clubs.

Shurp

Thanks for the heads up.  So build assault rifles and turrets and forget the rest.  (Bolt action rifles in the early game)

I guess this will be one of the few colonies I play where I bother to build the ship since there's not much else worth building.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Dashthechinchilla

Quote from: Shurp on September 14, 2018, 06:49:23 PM
Thanks for the heads up.  So build assault rifles and turrets and forget the rest.  (Bolt action rifles in the early game)

I guess this will be one of the few colonies I play where I bother to build the ship since there's not much else worth building.
Shotgun got a buff in B19, especially against unarmored like tribal. I watched a raider with one decimate a third of my colonists and animals all by themselves with middle of the road shooting in unstable.

I usually don't worry about what the clothes are made of. It doesn't matter like it used to. I would be interesting if there is a difference between devilstrand and cloth flak, unless that didn't make it to release.

bbqftw

Quote from: vampiresoap on September 14, 2018, 12:55:52 PM
Quote from: bbqftw on September 14, 2018, 11:15:21 AM

So armor basically sucks in Rimworld? lol...I've had too many decked out pawns died to naked raiders carrying clubs.

as rule of thumb, its better to have one high armor value layer than multiple medium armor value layers

vampiresoap

Quote from: Shurp on September 14, 2018, 06:49:23 PM

Man, I feel ya. Especially since the clothes and armors deteriorate pretty quick...I think I'll just stick with devilstrand clothes and cheap simple helmets for efficiency. I mean, like, it's better than wearing nothing, right? lol

Shurp

Hmmm... I'm just trying to figure out if I wasted a pile of money buying Hyperweave at a local settlement.  I saw the 200% armor figure and went "woohoo!"  But I now realize a normal hyperweave tuque is only going to offer a 40% sharp armor value.  That will deflect some revolver rounds, not too many bolt action rifle rounds, and do nothing against charge lances...

Has this new armor system actually been playtest?  It sounds like it's going to be pretty awful.

vzoxz0

Quote from: Shurp on September 15, 2018, 11:32:07 AM
Hmmm... I'm just trying to figure out if I wasted a pile of money buying Hyperweave at a local settlement.  I saw the 200% armor figure and went "woohoo!"  But I now realize a normal hyperweave tuque is only going to offer a 40% sharp armor value.  That will deflect some revolver rounds, not too many bolt action rifle rounds, and do nothing against charge lances...

Has this new armor system actually been playtest?  It sounds like it's going to be pretty awful.

The incredibly high value of hyperweave clothing makes it very stupid to put on your colonists. I think a full set of hyperweave is worth what, 3000? That's basically power-armor levels, and does it have the same benefits? I think not.

vampiresoap

Quote from: vzoxz0 on September 15, 2018, 02:33:22 PM
Quote from: Shurp on September 15, 2018, 11:32:07 AM

The incredibly high value of hyperweave clothing makes it very stupid to put on your colonists. I think a full set of hyperweave is worth what, 3000? That's basically power-armor levels, and does it have the same benefits? I think not.

Also, colony wealth is another factor to consider...like, sure, you can put on super expensive clothes and armors to get slightly better protection, but surprise, surprise, now you have to deal with 2 more raiders because reasons.

Shurp

Quote from: vzoxz0 on September 15, 2018, 02:33:22 PM

Well, in the b18 armor system it *did* have the same benefits.  I guess that's why I'm whining about the new system, it seems to have nerfed it badly. 

As for b19, I'm just looking to keep my colonists warm and protect their heads at the same time.  A hyperweave tuque provides as much armor as an advanced helmet and keeps him warm too.  But if "as much armor" is "no armor at all" then yeah, it's probably not worth the bother.

vzoxz0

Why in the hell should clothes have the same benefits as ACTUAL ARMOR? That was a balancing issue that was ADDRESSED.

If you're wearing bulky steel plate, odds are, you're going to be better defended than wearing some puny clothes.

Similarly, if you're wearing power armor, you're more likely to stop a high tech weapon from slashing through you like butter than if you're wearing a shirt made of thrumbo fur.

Shurp

We're not talking about clothing made of cotton.  We're talking about clothing made of devilstrand, synthread, and hyperweave, which are supposed to be high-tech superfabrics comparable to steel plates!

It's a game *feature* that high tech clothes have the same benefits as armor, because otherwise, why bother?  As you said earlier, "The incredibly high value of hyperweave clothing makes it very stupid to put on your colonists".  Well?  Why then is hyperweave in the game?  Just for you to sell and get silver?

If anyone is going to actually use hyperweave, either its value has to be reduced or its armor value improved so that it is actually worth using!