Most protective non-armor outfit?

Started by vampiresoap, September 13, 2018, 12:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vampiresoap

Hi guys, I just want to know what is the most protective outfit without armor.

So material wise, I think devilstrand is very cost-effective, but obviously hyperweave is the most protective.

Here's the outfit I have in mind:

Jacket
Tuque/Cowboy hat (depending on what biome you're playing on)
Button-down shirt
Pants

I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but that's all the clothes I can fit in one single pawn. If you guys have a better idea, please share it with the rest of us :)

Dusty_Monk

vampiresoap

Quote from: Dusty_Monk on September 13, 2018, 12:17:34 PM
Why a Jacket and not a Duster?
Not sure if a duster is better. Can anyone check? I'm not playing the game right now

Drewski

Looks like they're identical for armor, including heat armor, except a duster protects the legs. Duster of course is better heat insulation, jacket is better with cold.

Lads

Quote from: vampiresoap on September 13, 2018, 01:06:20 PM
Quote from: Dusty_Monk on September 13, 2018, 12:17:34 PM
Why a Jacket and not a Duster?
Not sure if a duster is better. Can anyone check? I'm not playing the game right now

Duster(iguana Skin)(LEgendary 100%) ->

Blunt = 5.3%
Sharp = 12%
Heat = 14%
----------------------------------------
Jacket (Iguana Skin)(Superior 100%) ->

Sharp = 8.8%
heat = 4.2%

--------------------------------

Drewski

Quote from: Lads on September 13, 2018, 01:35:09 PM
Duster(iguana Skin)(Legendary 100%) ->
Jacket (Iguana Skin)(Superior 100%) ->

Quality matters here.

vampiresoap

Quote from: Drewski on September 13, 2018, 01:24:15 PM
Looks like they're identical for armor, including heat armor, except a duster protects the legs. Duster of course is better heat insulation, jacket is better with cold.
If dusters protect the legs, then they are definitely better. (If we ignore climate limitations) The same reason I picked button-down shirts over plain T-shirts.

Electroid

Quality matters, I'm pretty sure its either devil strand or lizard skin that is the best.
generally I go Duster, T-shirt Pants.

Nothing worse than normal quality for my colonists, and then I sell the rest.

Shurp

Dusters covered legs in 18.  I assume they still do in 19.  If you want to stop scythers from blowing your legs off, devilstrand dusters and pants are the way to go.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

bbqftw

Quote from: Shurp on September 13, 2018, 11:44:31 PM
Dusters covered legs in 18.  I assume they still do in 19.  If you want to stop scythers from blowing your legs off, devilstrand dusters and pants are the way to go.
Lancer armor penetration is so high that for devilstrand its practically equivalent to not wearing anything.

sadpickle

Dusters cover legs and I haven't seen anything about regular Jacket that suggests they are superior in any way. If insulation is a problem, you're probably wearing a parka anyway.

However, clothes, even devilstrand clothes are a lot less reliable as armor since B18. I give everyone a flak vest, at the very least. Helms and flak pants go to anyone who's likely to take a shot. A flak jacket is probably superior to a duster as arm and torso protection.

Drewski

Just to make sure we're all on the same page here, here are assembled screencaps of excellent jacket and duster stats for lizard, devil, and hyper. Another image of an awful and legendary charge lance, since the issue came up, lancers can spawn with varying quality weapons, and I had dev mode open already.

https://imgur.com/a/5cVj0vD

As you can see, dusters and jackets are identical except for leg protection and insulation. Lizardskin is far worse than devilstrand in every way, so I don't know what people are excited about there.

I don't know how armor penetration works, especially with multiple layers of armor, so I don't really have an opinion on duster v. lancer.

vampiresoap

Quote from: Drewski on September 14, 2018, 06:06:06 AM
Just to make sure we're all on the same page here, here are assembled screencaps of excellent jacket and duster stats for lizard, devil, and hyper. Another image of an awful and legendary charge lance, since the issue came up, lancers can spawn with varying quality weapons, and I had dev mode open already.

https://imgur.com/a/5cVj0vD

As you can see, dusters and jackets are identical except for leg protection and insulation. Lizardskin is far worse than devilstrand in every way, so I don't know what people are excited about there.

I don't know how armor penetration works, especially with multiple layers of armor, so I don't really have an opinion on duster v. lancer.

Man, that legendary Lancer can murder your pawns so quick that by the time you notice it, it'd be too late. Even the awful version is so powerful.

Blato

I usually go with steel helmet, devilstrand pants, duster, button down shirt, and a flak vest.

Not near my laptop now, can someone say if it's better to have flak pants or devilstrand pants?

Shurp

You know, the rimworld jokes are only going to get worse with all this talk about penetration...
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.