[MOD] (Alpha 6) Jaxxa Shields 0.08 - 2014-09-07 - Announcement

Started by Jaxxa, July 12, 2014, 12:45:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coenmcj

Quote from: jaxxa on September 08, 2014, 12:11:07 AM
I have just put up a poll with some of the ideas that I have / have been suggested to add that you can vote on. I wont necessarily follow the results and they may not be possible, but I would like to get an idea of the interest.

Coenmcj you will notice that psychic shielding is one of the options :)
Cheers. :)
Finally, those that cannot handle the gift need not die!
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Iwillbenicetou

All of them look good to me. But do you mean by kinetic CRAM by something that stops bullets?
Mod Help! The basics on how to download mods!

Jaxxa

kinetic CRAM would have the same functionality as the "CRAM shield", to stop mortar rounds but take a different approach.

It would have a low power requirement but require ammunition in the form of Missiles or Shells to Fire.

Something similar to these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Dome
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close-in_weapon_system
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIM-104_Patriot

Coenmcj

Hopefully more operational than the patriot... The patriot tended to only destroy the missile, and not the warhead.

Girlinhat

Quote from: Coenmcj on September 09, 2014, 12:37:50 AM
Hopefully more operational than the patriot... The patriot tended to only destroy the missile, and not the warhead.
The patriot was really the first of its kind, so it had bugs.  Newer anti-missile systems perform phenomenally.  But this isn't really the place to discuss such things, really...

Coenmcj

Wasn't hoping to start a discussion, Just hoping that the Kinetic CRAM would be able to shoot down whole projectiles, and not just the propellant.

Jaxxa

I have not worked out the specifics of how that will work yet with hit chance and deflection rather than complete destruction.
At the most basic level I could implement now would just be to destroy the target instantly and use up a missile/shell but I want it to feel and look interesting, not just a re-skinned shield. That level of decisions will come in balancing after I have implemented the basic functions and I will probably make a post for feedback at that time.

I have had a try at making the personal shields and the way I was going to do is not going to work. It looks like It will be a bit more involved and take longer but I have a way that should work if I can figure it out.

Girlinhat

Quote from: jaxxa on September 10, 2014, 08:00:03 PM
I have had a try at making the personal shields and the way I was going to do is not going to work. It looks like It will be a bit more involved and take longer but I have a way that should work if I can figure it out.
Would it be possible to build a structure, have the structure link to an individual, and the structure projects a shield around the individual even as they move?  Sort of like the wall-shield but with creatures?

Jaxxa

Quote from: Girlinhat on September 10, 2014, 08:32:10 PM
Quote from: jaxxa on September 10, 2014, 08:00:03 PM
Would it be possible to build a structure, have the structure link to an individual, and the structure projects a shield around the individual even as they move?  Sort of like the wall-shield but with creatures?

That would be possible and is one of the things that I have considered, and I actually had that happening when I was testing the wall-shield, but I think it may need to be a 3x3 shield grid to be certain that a bullet hits the shield before the colonist (that is why the wall shield now has a repair mode). Also it will impact on all the bullets going through it, not only ones that would hit the colonist as I would want.

What I am working on now is creating a custom pawn and overriding the TakeDamage function so the shield will only activate when it is actually being hit. This will also be able to shield from additional types of damage that just projectiles.

My other idea was a building that will just instantly heal injuries to make it like they didn't happen, but I think you could then still be taken out by 1 shot kills.

I may switch over to one of these other methods if I have more problems that I cant solve.

Coenmcj

I think I recall reading about some sort of effect or something elsewhere on the forums that reflected shots?.. It was somewhat recent. Not sure if that's any help at all though.

Jaxxa

I have made some good progress with the personal shields prototype.

BetaSpectre

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Jaxxa

So I got to test the new Alpha test, and it looks like how I will need to find a new way to do the personal shields.

Iwillbenicetou

Mod Help! The basics on how to download mods!

Jaxxa

Quote from: Iwillbenicetou on September 22, 2014, 07:01:55 PM
oh.
1. Do you mean alpha 7? (Where can I sign up)
2. NOOOOOOO!!!!!

Realize that you are signing up to TEST it not just to play it. So writing good bug reports feedback all that sort of stuff.
I don't know if Tynan still needs more people, but the application is here:

http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=6214.0