Tailoring should definitely be a skill separate from smithing.

Started by vampiresoap, September 13, 2018, 06:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vampiresoap

My mother-in-law can sew, repair and make any clothes she can as long as she has the material. She's never held a hammer in her whole life, and it's hard to imagine that she would do well with smithing...I mean, it's two completely different sets of skill.

erdrik

umm... Aren't they already?

EDIT:
After a quick check:
Clothes skill is - Crafting
Clothes work speed is - Tailoring

Armor skill is - Crafting
Armor work speed is - Smithing

Im actually ok with this as I would place both Smithing and Tailoring as a sub category of Crafting.

vampiresoap

5thHorseman

My colonists don't have smithing or tailoring stats in their bios.

Because both come from crafting. :D

I agree. I make parkas all day long so my colonists will learn how to make advanced components and it makes 0 sense.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

erdrik

AileTheAlien

Tailoring is making person-shaped things out of textiles. Smithing is making person-shaped things out of metal. Same skill! :P

5thHorseman

Quote from: AileTheAlien on September 13, 2018, 09:33:27 PM
Tailoring is making person-shaped things out of textiles. Smithing is making person-shaped things out of metal. Same skill! :P

You got some weird looking longswords there.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Lads

A 76-year-old colonist who does only clothes and cooking. "Oh god, I spent all day doing these shirts, I'm glad I finished the job, now it's time to make those assault Rifles, because that's how we all agreed."

This sometimes makes very little sense, maybe we need more skills, to be able to separate some things

vzoxz0

It would be interesting to see an "experience"-based system be implemented for sub-skills. Crafting would be like your inherent knack for making stuff, and the experience you have making specific things would compound that and allow higher quality things.