[1.0] Orassans 🐱

Started by Diana Winters, July 28, 2016, 11:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I plan on changing the look of the Orassans to more match the added storyteller. Do you want this?

Yes; I want a more cat-like look
No; keep the neko look
I don't care

Goldenpotatoes

Removing a source for one of the most powerful vanilla armors under the guise of 'well i've never seen them spawn with it' and proceeding to not even mention it as a change is pretty dumb.

DiamondBorne

Now now now let's just please buried this toxic discussion shall we? I already got it that Orassan race was meant to be your creation. It's your mod, your lore, you can do whatever you want with it. I loves variety in my game, i used your mod and i really loves it. But now the problem reveal itself: your mod prevent PA from appearing on Spacer faction. All i asked is to have a small patch to ensure maximum compatibility. Please understand your fans who have 100+ mods running at once. And from the looks of things, it shouldn't even be that hard, it might be just 1 or 2 lines of codes. I would do it already if i know how, but i'm just start learning how to mod so it's not easy for me. So please pretty please?  :-*

Diana Winters

Quote from: DiamondBorne on October 09, 2017, 12:30:08 PM
Now now now let's just please buried this toxic discussion shall we? I already got it that Orassan race was meant to be your creation. It's your mod, your lore, you can do whatever you want with it. I loves variety in my game, i used your mod and i really loves it. But now the problem reveal itself: your mod prevent PA from appearing on Spacer faction. All i asked is to have a small patch to ensure maximum compatibility. Please understand your fans who have 100+ mods running at once. And from the looks of things, it shouldn't even be that hard, it might be just 1 or 2 lines of codes. I would do it already if i know how, but i'm just start learning how to mod so it's not easy for me. So please pretty please?  :-*

Just delete the patches folder. But since no one noticed till that guy pointed it out, despite it being like this for the entire existence of the mod, I don't think it's much of an issue.

All the patch does is remove the "spacer" tag from power armor. I have still seen pirates spawn with it (in vanilla and with my mod active) but have never seen spacers spawn with it (this is likely due to them not having a high enough "budget" for them to spawn with it)

I will also note that this mod used to completely overwrite the power armor def and there were no complaints.

IHateRegistering

Speaking of which, im my last colony with Combat Extended I didn't use Orassans since they're not compatible with each other and one guy in the ancient danger crypto casket actually spawned with power armor. It's pretty much always a one time thing in each game since there aren't that many ancient dangers in a given map (usually 1 iirc) so it probably wasn't mentioned because no one realized this had anything to do with the Orassans, after all you wouldn't expect a mod that adds entirely new content to modify the vanilla game without mentioning it.

BlueTressym

Whether or not the Orassans are a problem is a matter of perspective. Are they powerful?  Yes.  Too powerful compared to vanilla factions?  Quite possibly.  However, they exist to be used or not based on the style of game you prefer.  If you don't like games that include races or items you see as 'OP' or 'Unrealistic' then don't use this mod.  Yes, I do realise that removing them from a game in progress would break things but I find it hard to believe their very existence makes a game unendurable unless you've been silly enough to annoy the faction.  If you have, that was your choice. 

Some people do enjoy a game with various things in that others see as slightly, or in some cases ridiculously, OP or plain silly. 

As for the power armour issue, the author has already suggested a way in which this can be remedied for those who feel it is a bad thing.  If there is a way in which the kitties can be made to spawn without it that doesn't affect the entire Spacer faction, maybe the author will adopt it but that's up to her.     

Personally, I'm more concerned by the fact that my kitties have no tails.  Rah seems to have fixed the XML error in the RBSE patch that was causing the issue, but something still seems to be causing the tails and/or portraits to disappear. 

Skcuske_Lobuk

Quote from: IHateRegistering on October 09, 2017, 02:33:31 PM
... so it probably wasn't mentioned because no one realized this had anything to do with the Orassans, after all you wouldn't expect a mod that adds entirely new content to modify the vanilla game without mentioning it.

It might have something to do with the fact that Orassans have 10x more apparelMoney than regular pawns.

OrassanGrenadier
<apparelMoney>
<min>5000</min>
<max>10000</max>
</apparelMoney>

OrassanRefugee
<apparelMoney>
<min>1000</min>
<max>3000</max>
</apparelMoney>

in contrast to

Pirate (Human)
<apparelMoney>
<min>500</min>
<max>1100</max>
</apparelMoney>

Quote from: Diana Winters on October 09, 2017, 02:16:11 PM
Just delete the patches folder. But since no one noticed till that guy pointed it out, despite it being like this for the entire existence of the mod, I don't think it's much of an issue.

All the patch does is remove the "spacer" tag from power armor. I have still seen pirates spawn with it (in vanilla and with my mod active) but have never seen spacers spawn with it (this is likely due to them not having a high enough "budget" for them to spawn with it)

I will also note that this mod used to completely overwrite the power armor def and there were no complaints.
Maybe no one took a deeper look at the source files before. Just because there's a lower probability for Spacers to spawn with a PA, it doesn't mean that it's not happening at all. "Not much of an issue" obviously means to you changing the balance of the game and weakening all other factions without mentioning it.

Quote from: IHateRegistering on October 09, 2017, 08:26:36 AM
I mean there's certainly room for discussion here but instead of arguing back and forth you could also make your own tweaks to the race so you can modify them more to your liking.

Yes, absolutely. I love going through all my mods and find out which ones remove basic stuff from vanilla (and also all other mods which rely on the vanilla tags).

It's basically my fault, I totally get it. Thank you all.

kubolek01

I'm planning to make pros and cons for both Orassans and their pets, Oris. Basically, I think they are balanced, I feel they fall much quicker than humans. It's 25 percent less health...
Eat lead, walking pile of silver! (greedy Player)
I...I can't do it. Leave it alive, please!(inner soul)
It lives 200 years to end up as a jacket?!(realists mind)
If I would go to vacation in off-Earth, even fictional place, I'd choose Nibel.

Diana Winters

Quote from: Montezuma on October 09, 2017, 03:05:46 PM

<snip>
Maybe no one took a deeper look at the source files before. Just because there's a lower probability for Spacers to spawn with a PA, it doesn't mean that it's not happening at all. "Not much of an issue" obviously means to you changing the balance of the game and weakening all other factions without mentioning it.
<snip>

It is "weakening" a single faction that you can scarcely interact with, not every faction.

As for budgets; of course, a soldier from an interstellar empire will have a higher budget than a pirate. The high budget for Orassan civilians is due to the materials of their clothing (Hyperweave/synththread clothing is expensive, especially if it is above normal quality)

kubolek01

If they can afford wasting their anti-bunker weaponry from battleships to take out a small community, they ARE really rich, all.

Diana Winters

Quote from: kubolek01 on October 09, 2017, 03:55:31 PM
If they can afford wasting their anti-bunker weaponry from battleships to take out a small community, they ARE really rich, all.
There are plenty of barren planets to get resources from...

kubolek01

While Orassia is looking like Swiss Cheese due to mineshafts, whole Universe awaits to dig out! So we are right!;)

IHateRegistering

Yes, absolutely. I love going through all my mods and find out which ones remove basic stuff from vanilla (and also all other mods which rely on the vanilla tags).

You were sperging out because you didn't like the balance (or rather lack thereof) this mod provides, the issue that this mod here actually modifies vanilla values came up later and I'd actually agree that this is a thing that shouldn't happen. But again, your initial temper tantrum as well as your cats AIDS """mod""" were because of the balance issues you had with the mod. Which again, can be easily rectified by modifying the race .xml. You are just moving the goalposts now.

Skcuske_Lobuk

Quote from: IHateRegistering on October 09, 2017, 04:20:27 PM

You were sperging out because you didn't like the balance (or rather lack thereof) this mod provides, the issue that this mod here actually modifies vanilla values came up later and I'd actually agree that this is a thing that shouldn't happen. But again, your initial temper tantrum as well as your cats AIDS """mod""" were because of the balance issues you had with the mod. Which again, can be easily rectified by modifying the race .xml. You are just moving the goalposts now.
Because of the (not functional) balancing I started to scratch on the surface, and found some profound changes additionally to vanilla.
As I can't remove races from my current game, I came up with something that deals with the problem my way. As the Orassan mod author explained "Don't use it if you don't like it".

I expect mod authors to either integrate their visions in a non-disturbing way so I can enjoy my game, or at least mark their mods as "fun mods", "cheat mods" or "overpowered". Constantly coming up with some lore which explains non-sense helps in no way and shows that the author can't deal with constructive criticism. "No one noticed till now" is not really a satisfying answer, it just shows that the author doesn't care.

And for the last time: I'm not in the mood constantly looking through all my mods and see what the author has changed behind my back. Just stop constantly suggesting me to edit xml files. Thank you.

Diana Winters

Quote from: Montezuma on October 09, 2017, 05:00:14 PM
Quote from: IHateRegistering on October 09, 2017, 04:20:27 PM

Because of the (not functional) balancing I started to scratch on the surface, and found some profound changes additionally to vanilla.
As I can't remove races from my current game, I came up with something that deals with the problem my way. As the Orassan mod author explained "Don't use it if you don't like it".

I expect mod authors to either integrate their visions in a non-disturbing way so I can enjoy my game, or mark their mods as "fun mods", "cheat mods" or "overpowered". Constantly coming up with some lore which explains non-sense helps in no way and shows that the author can't deal with constructive criticism. "No one noticed till now" is not really a satisfying answer, it just shows that the author doesn't care.

And for the last time: I'm not in the mood constantly looking through all my mods and see what the author has changed behind my back. Just stop constantly suggesting me to edit xml files. Thank you.
If you think it's OP then don't use it. For the last time, stop telling me to alter my mod for ~your~ specific tastes. It is not my job to make sure my mod is up to your specific specifications. You are not paying for this mod to be paid, so don't expect it to be absolutely balanced and polished work of code.

Skcuske_Lobuk

Quote from: Diana Winters on October 09, 2017, 05:12:18 PM
If you think it's OP then don't use it. For the last time, stop telling me to alter my mod for ~your~ specific tastes. It is not my job to make sure my mod is up to your specific specifications. You are not paying for this mod to be paid, so don't expect it to be absolutely balanced and polished work of code.
As I stated earlier, I'll be removing this mod as soon as I finish my game.
Thank you for your opinion.