[1.3.0] Hospitality

Started by Orion, March 13, 2015, 11:19:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jstank

Quote from: Jstank on February 27, 2017, 07:15:55 AM
I would suggest spawning them either without the spear, which seems to be the only really expensive item they can come with or find some way to limit what their equipment is made of, because if it is like a low count item like gold, or vancidium, poly whatever... then it certainly is worth the -5 faction penalty to steal it.
This is much harder done than said. In fact, the value of everything visitors spawn with is checked and capped - but for some strange reason those ridiculous unobtainium spears don't give the correct market value until the guests are on the map with it. I couldn't find a proper workaround yet. Maybe I could make it so that if you steal their holy gold spear of awesome, that they get super pissed (maybe it's a special artifact that they take on all their trips?). So you down the guy with the spear, they're instantly hostile. The spear was not meant for you - it's a token of their god!
[/quote]

And if it's truely an accident then that would be quite the diplomatic incident.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

- Bernard of Clairvaux

AngleWyrm

Quote from: Tanelorn on March 01, 2017, 09:20:42 PM
I find it impossible to ever recruit visitors due to the friend requirement.

Do you have anyone in your team with good social skills? I have a level-10 social on every deployment for recruiting prisoners and trade, and I almost always have the option to recruit visitors. Most of the time I'm turning them down because I don't need the skills they have, or they have bad traits or health issues.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

Orion

Quote from: pinguin42 on March 01, 2017, 03:16:52 PM
Here's the log:
https://gist.github.com/HugsLibRecordKeeper/5e1c18e0b9a9d36b9ad736c2f7906609
Sorry, it's not very useful. I need the log from when it actually happens. So next time it happens, send me the log.

I find it impossible to ever recruit visitors due to the friend requirement. The game does not seem to track pawns in other factions and I >NEVER< get a return visitor. It's virtually impossible to reach the 3 or 4 friends level on a single visit and they don't seem to ever revisit. Meaning, I can never recruit visitors.

Please reconsider the requirements. Lower them, and also investigate if pawns actually visit more than once or if the game makes fresh pawns on every visit.

Thanks for a great mod!
Well, it's sort of half-half. The game does sometimes throw in new people, not always, though. All the influencing your people so on them is forgotten until the next time, though. So all that is remembered is the actual friendship (deep talks and such).
This system is the best we've had so far. It makes sense in terms of the game and removes a lot of the randomness. It should scale well with your colony size too.
So my guess is that something else is going wrong.

Quote from: LethalSalad on March 01, 2017, 02:50:52 PM
I've found this bug (Well, more of a slight mistake), where visitors buy the stuff they just sold to me (because they'll be dropped in the guest area). Usually even for WAY less than I bought it for.
That's an issue indeed. I'll see if I can do something about it.

faltonico

Quote from: Orion on March 02, 2017, 03:53:24 AM
I find it impossible to ever recruit visitors due to the friend requirement. The game does not seem to track pawns in other factions and I >NEVER< get a return visitor. It's virtually impossible to reach the 3 or 4 friends level on a single visit and they don't seem to ever revisit. Meaning, I can never recruit visitors.

Please reconsider the requirements. Lower them, and also investigate if pawns actually visit more than once or if the game makes fresh pawns on every visit.

Thanks for a great mod!
Well, it's sort of half-half. The game does sometimes throw in new people, not always, though. All the influencing your people so on them is forgotten until the next time, though. So all that is remembered is the actual friendship (deep talks and such).
This system is the best we've had so far. It makes sense in terms of the game and removes a lot of the randomness. It should scale well with your colony size too.
So my guess is that something else is going wrong.
Now that i think about it, do you know if WorldPawnGC by Zenthar would "delete" the pawns from previous visits? I got to play with the new version of the mod for a couple hours before i had to delete my save, but it thought you had to befriend them on the first visit (not that i did try to do it though), because i thought it was unlikely i would see any of my visitors again.
I did get a passer by that was friends with a couple of my pawns though.

Tanelorn

Ok just to be clear, we can expect the same pawns to return for future visits and they remember who befriended them? If so, my next question is: how large is the pool of potential visitors from any faction? What is the percentage chance that any given pawn will have a return visit?

Orion

Quote from: faltonico on March 02, 2017, 06:10:10 AM
Now that i think about it, do you know if WorldPawnGC by Zenthar would "delete" the pawns from previous visits? I got to play with the new version of the mod for a couple hours before i had to delete my save, but it thought you had to befriend them on the first visit (not that i did try to do it though), because i thought it was unlikely i would see any of my visitors again.
I did get a passer by that was friends with a couple of my pawns though.
I don't know that mod. Can you post a link? It does sound like it would delete those pawns, yes. The thing is, only the "friend stuff" is actually stored. All the influencing your diplomats do is not.

Quote from: Tanelorn on March 03, 2017, 01:03:01 AM
Ok just to be clear, we can expect the same pawns to return for future visits and they remember who befriended them? If so, my next question is: how large is the pool of potential visitors from any faction? What is the percentage chance that any given pawn will have a return visit?
This is correct. I'm not sure about the pool size and the chance of return. It's all hidden behind somewhat convoluted RimWorld magic so to find out there's some digging involved.
On the other hand, it is quite possible to convince visitors the first time around. Make sure they hang out where your colonists are so natural conversation happens and have a few semi-skilled diplomats running around to keep at it.
Do note that it makes a difference if you check the recruit box on the visitor. If it is off, the diplomat will spend 50% effort on increasing the person's mood, and 50% on creating friendships. If it is checked, 100% will go into friendships.

faltonico

@Orion
World Pawn GC
The mod is still experimental though, but it is worth using it for testing just for its premise, it looks promising.

Orion

From the description of the mod, it should be just fine, since befriended pawns are kept (such as guests).

Wishmaster

Could it be possible not to have specific guest beds, and be able to assign beds for guests just like we do for prisoners ?
I would really enjoy this flexibility.

Orion

Quote from: Wishmaster on March 04, 2017, 06:27:56 PM
Could it be possible not to have specific guest beds, and be able to assign beds for guests just like we do for prisoners ?
I would really enjoy this flexibility.
This is being asked almost daily (particularly on Steam, where people don't read previous comments). The short answer: It's not possible.
The long answer: It's a lot of work and would introduce lots of potential compatibility issues with other mods since it affects the sleeping, prisoner and medical system and all characters including mechanoids and animals.

Wraithling

Hello Orion, I've been a long-time user of your Hospitality mod, and I love it to bits!  :P

I'd like to give some feedback on v1.16f2. Ever since you tweaked visitors to stay longer in our colonies, they have been eating a lot of my food. In previous versions (at least to the extent of my observations), visitors always bring enough food with them. Now in v1.16f2, they start raiding my fridge barely 24-hours in (and they tend to stay up to 3 days). This is a very major change in behavior imho. Is this working as intended?

Apart from that, I'm loving the continuous changes you bring into how recruiting works. The current one is quite challenging, as I need more socially capable pawns as opposed to one super socialite from previous versions. Thanks for your work!

Orion

Thanks for your feedback! I'm glad you enjoy it.

It is... sort of on purpose. Since you can now send them away, you can limit the damage if it gets too extensive. But if you really want to recruit one of them, you can use the whole time for that purpose. But obviously you'll have to feed them.
If you don't want them to raid your storage, you have to adjust their area to not include your storage. Of course then they'll starve and be mad at you. But you can always dump some cheaper food in their area.

So far I like the current recruiting system the best. It's tricky but not too much. It's fairer than pure chance. If you have a super social pawn, he can do a lot, since diplomats will endorse other colonists they like. But once you have a larger colony, one will not be enough anymore. So I think the difficulty scales properly with colony size.

I'm always glad to hear how you guys experience it, though, it's my only way to fine tune the mod.

pinguin42

Quote from: pinguin42 on March 01, 2017, 03:16:52 PM
Here's the log:
https://gist.github.com/HugsLibRecordKeeper/5e1c18e0b9a9d36b9ad736c2f7906609
Sorry, it's not very useful. I need the log from when it actually happens. So next time it happens, send me the log.

I had some time to play this weekend and found that I'm unable to reproduce what happened. I've had several groups of visitors, both tribal and townspeople, both with traders and without, none of them malfunctioned. The only thing I can think of that's different is that when it happened I had visitors assigned to the home area and now they have their own area and possibly I didn't have "allow buying items" turned on.

To be frank though, I have the feeling some of the mods are not playing nice together in general. I play with dev mode on and get thrown error logs quite often. About pawn jobs (hauling hysteresis/better crafting?), harvesting, corpse deletion (zhentar's world pawn GC) and others. Before my next run I'll do a "disable half the mods and see if you still get errors, then disable half again, etc"-thingy to see if I can narrow something down.

Dorian

I apologize for not reading all 99 pages, but I was wondering if you get negative relations, or something bad if you don't accommodate visitors?  Just wondering if I can install this and only use the mod for bonuses when I have a well-built colony.  Or will visitors show up and be pissed that they have nowhere to stay/play etc?

Devon_v

Quote from: Dorian on March 06, 2017, 02:20:57 PM
I apologize for not reading all 99 pages, but I was wondering if you get negative relations, or something bad if you don't accommodate visitors?  Just wondering if I can install this and only use the mod for bonuses when I have a well-built colony.  Or will visitors show up and be pissed that they have nowhere to stay/play etc?
They get annoyed and it degrades relations if they have no place to stay.