Is RimWorld always going to focus around killboxes?

Started by Sieluton, January 31, 2018, 12:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vlad0mi3r

Quote from: Shurp on February 21, 2018, 06:58:51 AM
My recommendation is to find a mod which increases weapon lethality so that ten guys with machineguns can mow down fifty attacking tribals.  Miniguns might already do this if used properly (I've never taken the time to learn to use them so I don't know if they do).

Yes Miniguns do this now with the forced area targeting you can chew up the hordes very easily. They are now an important part of my defence line up. Whereas before they were just an annoying item that added value to my base.

I would say 5 miniguns with staggered firing will decimate most attacks. Backed up with pump shot guns for those that get to close.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

TheMeInTeam

Nothing but small animals will close the gap on 6 miniguns in a corridor.  The only stuff that threatens them are things like triple rockets (if the raider lucks enough time to fire), centipedes, or 70 squirrels.

Though with manhunters you can always just shut that door and either wait them out or kill them another way.

Shurp

Quote from: Ser Kitteh on February 21, 2018, 07:51:00 AM
OR you could just increase sharp and blunt damage by 150% in the scenario editor. :)

You know, you might be on to something there.  I didn't know that was even possible.

It will make finding new recruits difficult though...
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Listy

Quote from: Shurp on February 21, 2018, 06:58:51 AM
Listy, the problem you describe is the problem of low lethality of Rimworld weapons.  Attackers have a fantastic ability to soak up damage and keep coming, and there's not a large DPS difference between weapons.  So standing your ground and fighting only works if you have a swarm of turrets or similar advantage, ie, "killbox".

Yeah, I had just come to that same conclusion, and was hurrying along to write this insight here, when I see you've beaten me too it...