Rim World end-game and Ending

Started by RaitzuViMate, July 14, 2014, 08:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudder

Ha! I almost referenced FTL in my reply. While I'm not sure how well Rimworld would fit with an on-board ship style game, simulating that aspect with random encounters (text summary) that leave you on land afterwards to deal with the aftermath I think is a great way to go.
I'm a freelance programmer/web developer that spends way too much time here rather than making money.

makkenhoff

While an old topic, it is still relevant now. I've yet to reach end game (sure, I can god mode the end..), I think given my smallest possible cell size, that may be extremely difficult to achieve, even with A15's deep mining presuming it works like I think it will.

So, you could give the player a choice to "end" the game, or you could give those "saved" colonists a new lease on life by stranding them again, this time on a different planet, with a random assortment of surviving supplies the player chose to load onto the colony ship's storage bay at the end of the game. This way, the player has some hard choices to make of what to take.

Naeem

I'm just grateful to have this game :)

RandomGirl

My "end goal" is to have a large enough colony to be self-sustaining and defended. Leave? Why? This is OUR planet now. :)

Lightzy

Or you could tie the endgame to "Faster Than Light". And when you lose, you start playing rimworld again (your guys crashed:))

SpaceDorf

I figured out what the Spaceship is for.

That means, Douglas Adams figured it out about 30 years ago.
It is a to get rid of all the idiots and a-holes your colony keeps collecting without mood penalties.

Put 'em in a Cryocasket and of they go.
So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Bonus Points for removing the useful parts first.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Shurp

Quote from: SpaceDorf on August 22, 2016, 04:47:27 PM

LOL!!!

But that's an expensive way to get rid of them... Can't we get a "spaceship lite" which just catapaults them into a sub-orbital trajectory so they land on another part of the planet and become Somebody Else's Problem?
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Shurp on August 22, 2016, 05:22:47 PM

LOL!!!

But that's an expensive way to get rid of them... Can't we get a "spaceship lite" which just catapaults them into a sub-orbital trajectory so they land on another part of the planet and become Somebody Else's Problem?

*LOL* now you crossed into Monty Python territory :)

MOOOOOOooooooo *splat*
I still can't decide if this should give a mood penalty or a bonus ...
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Texonidas

Quote from: Shurp on August 22, 2016, 05:22:47 PM

Somebody Else's ProblemTM

Marvin the Martian

Search ... search ... search ... there it is. *mumbling* *casting* *THREAD NECROMANCY*

It is a to get rid of all the idiots and a-holes your colony keeps collecting without mood penalties.

That's pretty much what I did yesterday in my first playthrough. I took the people with severe mental or physical issues, the old, the suffering, gave them nice clothes and sent them off to the next glitterworld where better medical support is easily available. They should reach one, because I have a booming trade post that serves as a connection between the tribes, the other colonies and the space traders. I produce drugs like a highschool teacher suffering from cancer, I have tons of high quality guns, body armor and clothings. My colonists live in premium quarters. I healed every ailment that can be healed with bionics (more surgery options for all those scratches PLEEEEEEASE!). My snipers slaughter mechanoids, my minigun gunners love tribals and I try to improvise something in between when the pirates approach. And I really regularly talk with space traders, so I should have a f***ing space map to reach a glitterworld.

The end narrative was a little off ... Nice music, no question. But it was clearly meant to be for a different game than the one that I played. I suppose Rimworld changed a little since the launch part was implemented. ;)

I really like this approach: [Story] Write an ending ! (endless included) Choose your own ending. Or at least the next stepping stone in your narration, since I still had a stable colony after the launch, just with less steel, plasteel, components and AI core. And a smaller, but sturdier population.

Lizardo

http://apatheticagnostic.com/ourchurch/intro.html
http://www.amazon.com/The-Ominous-Parallels-Freedom-America/dp/0452011175

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius. - abbot Arnaud Amalric prior to the Massacre at Béziers

Marvin the Martian

My solution has one subtle, yet important difference: it was meant to be altruistic. My best doctor, two of my top constructors, my melee expert and two important crafters left the planet, because they were just plain old and not up to the harsh conditions of a rimworld. If you have a bad back, a few scars from gun fire and tortoise attacks and a nervous nature, you really deserve retirement on a lush glitterworld. ;)

So yes, I sent off the people that started to be a hassle, but not because I don't need any phone sanitizers. ;)

Lizardo

Like in Factorio, the spaceship ending seems kind of a limp underdeveloped ending and. Of course the tradition goes back to Sim City where the arcologies launched into space as an ending.

Altruism is the root of all evils.

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius. - abbot Arnaud Amalric prior to the Massacre at Béziers

Lizardo

Similarly to Factorio, the Rim-World search for an 'end game' seems misguided.  Like Sim City, this is less a game (which has an intrinsic goal or end point) than a toy which has no such end point.  This is why the imposed 'end game' seems so lame.

The colony exists for its own sake like a continuously changing work of art. Each player has his own idea of what his colony should be or the kinds of stories that emerge from it.  The developer should simply give the player to tools to achieve these ends.

Better I think to have a constant stream of new things to improve your colony with than some misfitting kludge imposed as a 'goal'.

Marvin the Martian

Quote from: Lizardo on October 22, 2016, 12:19:30 PM
Similarly to Factorio, the Rim-World search for an 'end game' seems misguided.  Like Sim City, this is less a game (which has an intrinsic goal or end point) than a toy which has no such end point.  This is why the imposed 'end game' seems so lame.

Maybe some sort of "transition" would be better. My colony didn't end with the start of the spaceship. It changed. A lot of the endings in that thread are more transitional than real "endings". And a little more food for those transitions would be cool.