Mental breakdown

Started by Evul, February 15, 2014, 07:29:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evul

Mental breakdown are one thing that I lose the game in the majority of ways. And i like the that the mental breakdown excise and what to expand it.

The game is already dark due to cannibalism, so I'm suggesting that characters that suffers long turn mental stains like see people get killed or long term starvation and (new effect) loneliness. Can drive the character to suicide (if he have a gun).

Thoughts?

Darker

Please... Throw human readable errors on savefile parsing failure!!!
Rim world editor Editor on GIT

Evul

Mental breakdown :P
MIIIght be the correct word for it.

(Spelling is not directly my strongest ability. :P)

Nukeman0

To be honest, i would have wanted to see an opposite solution: That colonists gets "used" to certain things.

An alternative to this would be to include certain mental abilities into colonists personalities. My point being: It's a little bit boring when your miners gets negative effects from the environment being ugly and darkness when mining (darkness is maybe realistic, though, but you get my point :) )

Maybe we could make a compromise: That colonists might go through mental periods (without making it too complex, that is).
Nukeman0

theSovietConnection

Maybe have some kind of system where certain traits are more likely to push a person one way or the other. Traits like empathetic might push a person towards breaking, while traits like psychopath or combat hardened would prevent such a break.

I don't think anyone in the fields along the lines of the vat-grown soldier, pirate, commisar, assassin, etc would be likely to experience a mental break due to experiencing that much death. Maybe if they lose a fellow colonist they had become friends with, but not likely over killing raiders that were out for blood.

Actually, if a system like this is put into place, you could include some new debuffs into things as well. Let's say you have a scientist that you are forced to throw into combat because you lose some of your primary defenders. When they finally kill a raider, a debuff called "First kill" is applied to them until they can talk it out with someone, maybe a counselor if such a job is added to the game. Failure to talk it out could lead to the person brooding over it and eventually lead them to a break via that.

I have a few other ideas for this, I'll post them here when I get the chance to.

Basroks

Alternatively, you could go all Dwarf Fortress on this thing and try to accurately simulate how PTSD actually transpires. Worth the effort in terms of gameplay fun? Who knows.

Regardless, I think we can agree that space colonists ought have different personalities and react quite differently to each kind of mental stress. I'm sure it's coming in a future update.

SPAZZx7

I love with the 3 posts above mine.

keylocke

Quote from: Nukeman0 on February 15, 2014, 10:06:31 AM
To be honest, i would have wanted to see an opposite solution: That colonists gets "used" to certain things.

An alternative to this would be to include certain mental abilities into colonists personalities. My point being: It's a little bit boring when your miners gets negative effects from the environment being ugly and darkness when mining (darkness is maybe realistic, though, but you get my point :) )

Maybe we could make a compromise: That colonists might go through mental periods (without making it too complex, that is).

yea, some people aren't afraid of the dark or don't care about cramped spaces. some people aren't affected by killing their enemies either. some people are slobs who don't care about their base getting dirty. and vice versa. i get the feeling that the "traits" system hasn't yet been fully integrated into affecting their mental states at the moment. maybe in a future update?