Do turrets gain tactical bonuses?

Started by bobucles, August 08, 2014, 07:08:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobucles

Title says it all. Turrets are structures, so their behavior is likely different from pawns in combat. So do they gain any type of bonus from combat? I'm referring to things like:

- cover
- lighting/illumination
- distance

And any other factors that adjust aim. Your other pawns can end up incredibly durable when these bonuses stack up. But turrets seem to go down quickly even when they're backed off behind cover and all that.

To test, I drafted a guy to shoot at my own stuff. The game doesn't show the odds of him hitting anything, but a live fire exercise suggests that turrets don't get a cover bonus.

HatesYourFace

Wow, if turrets don't get a cover bonus that's gonna change a lot about my base designs...I mean every screenie I've ever seen of a RimWorld base has sandbags around the turrets so I just kind of assumed...

Can we get some kind of concrete answer on this?

Also, Should turrets receive a cover bonus if they don't? I can see how turrets can't exactly duck or shoulder up to a piece of cover but still...You'd think you could place it in a fortified position (Like behind sandbags) in such a way so it could shoot out easier than enemies could shoot in? (IE. Just barely poking over the top of the sandbag wall)

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer the OP's question!
If you have any 2 of the following 3 things: Time, Interest, or Ability; Head on over to the RimWorld wiki and help improve/update it! http://rimworldwiki.com

_alphaBeta_

Unlike colonists, there are no tool-tips that spell out the accuracy of the turret, or pawns firing on the turret. I've wondered this myself, but it's been difficult to tell from casual observation alone.

Shinzy

Cover seems to help turrets I have no real facts about this but
the sandbags suck bullets like magnet, that's why they use metal in them *cough*

And the wiki said something about them
Quote from: RimWorld Wiki on SandbagsSandbags can be placed to cover your structures, turrets, and colonists from gunfire. Raiders, colonists, squirrels, and every other unit can use these as cover, so place them in a way so enemy units cannot take advantage of your sandbags.

I like to line my turrets like in the attachment
They don't cause chain reaction if they explode and your pacifists can repair them from cover
If I wasn't lazy I'd have a roof generate on them aswell
but I don't even know if the light levels help turrets getting hit or not

it's be nice to know
but walls seems to help
I'm blindly trusting the wiki anyway =P
and I don't have any good experiences of having uncovered turrets ever staying intact

but that might aswell be just them always being the closest targets for any attackers so they get shot first

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

bobucles

It could be different with turret types or mods. Many of the modded turrets are 2x2 shape, and I haven't really experimented with sandbags or the default 1x1 type.

_alphaBeta_

So stone walls block explosions? Certainly makes sense, and never thought to do that in-game. Thanks for the tip.

bobucles

Do they? I suspect that explosions are pure AoE and don't care about obstacles. It'll take some testing though.

Shinzy

Quote from: bobucles on August 08, 2014, 10:32:59 AM
Do they? I suspect that explosions are pure AoE and don't care about obstacles. It'll take some testing though.

Yeah they redirect the explosion and won't go further that direction after the wall is destroyed

UrbanBourbon

Turrets use their own gun. That gun's innate accuracy properties and range are identical to the L-15 LMG. Burst size is obviously three instead of LMG's five, and there are other minor negligible differences. The gun data is in Weapons_Guns.xml. Search for 'improvised'. I can only guess what improvised turret's Shooting skill is.

There are two possibilities:
- Turrets have the Shooting skill, same as all humanoid pawns (and possibly mechanoids). My guess it's something between 3 and 10.
- Turrets don't use Shooting skill, and instead they rely purely on the gun's accuracy, or some other auxiliary static number.

christhekiller

I don't really think their accuracy is affected by light levels or anything like that. But it does seem like Sandbags do absorb some damage for the turrets.

bobucles

Missed shots will definitely hit nearby things like sandbags or people. That is not necessarily related to the cover bonus they provide.

Light level affects accuracy for people, they hate shooting in the dark. I dunno how it affects turrets, but weather does seem to play a huge role in accuracy.

Garen

Quote from: UrbanBourbon on August 08, 2014, 12:18:50 PM
Turrets use their own gun. That gun's innate accuracy properties and range are identical to the L-15 LMG. Burst size is obviously three instead of LMG's five, and there are other minor negligible differences. The gun data is in Weapons_Guns.xml. Search for 'improvised'. I can only guess what improvised turret's Shooting skill is.

There are two possibilities:
- Turrets have the Shooting skill, same as all humanoid pawns (and possibly mechanoids). My guess it's something between 3 and 10.
- Turrets don't use Shooting skill, and instead they rely purely on the gun's accuracy, or some other auxiliary static number.

in that case have/spawn a colonist with average shooting with said weapon vs a single turret in a 'shoot the wall' competition

then have said colonist shoot at 2 turrets with one cover  and the other not

HatesYourFace

Just built two turrets, one with sandbag cover, and one with nothing, forced them to shoot each other. They dealt the exact same damage at the exact same rate and blew up at the same time. So...I'm saying the sandbag wasn't doing anything for the turret.

Did some other quick tests with forcing the turrets to shoot at the ground at different ranges...they certainly seemed less accurate at a distance. It didn't seem terribly random though, with the same number of shots missing at certain distances over and over. Perhaps it's a set number that doesn't change?
If you have any 2 of the following 3 things: Time, Interest, or Ability; Head on over to the RimWorld wiki and help improve/update it! http://rimworldwiki.com

Neurotoxin

Quote from: HatesYourFace on August 08, 2014, 02:10:46 PM
Just built two turrets, one with sandbag cover, and one with nothing, forced them to shoot each other. They dealt the exact same damage at the exact same rate and blew up at the same time. So...I'm saying the sandbag wasn't doing anything for the turret.

Did some other quick tests with forcing the turrets to shoot at the ground at different ranges...they certainly seemed less accurate at a distance. It didn't seem terribly random though, with the same number of shots missing at certain distances over and over. Perhaps it's a set number that doesn't change?

The better test would be to take a control group of colonists and attack the turrets. I'm not sure how turret accuracy is affected or if sandbags even affect turret accuracy but they do, for sure, affect colonist accuracy. Also, knowing what you know now, if we got different results from the colonists attacking the turrets, we'd also know if sandbags affect turret accuracy.

Rahjital

Mechanoids have 100% skill accuracy at any range, you can see that when you select a scyther and look at the hit probability of a distant target. It's very likely the same applies to the turrets. However, the L-15 LMG the turrets use isn't a terribly accurate weapon, which is probably why it's so inaccurate at range.

Turrets having the advantage of cover should be tested, though I think what HatesYourFace did is sufficient. Turrets are not pawns, so they don't get the advantage of peeking over sandbags.