Tweaking the slave trade?

Started by Omg_Ken1, December 16, 2014, 09:21:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Omg_Ken1

I was curious as to why no slave traders no longer appeared, and then I found out that they stop coming after you've reached a certain population to make it harder to grow. While I agree with the reason behind it, I feel that it could be changed a bit.

There are now numerous ways to make money in the game, but slave trading is by far the most fun compared to crafting and loot selling! While being sieged and assaulted can be very dangerous, it's a great opportunity to make money by trying to capture, healing and then selling the bastards as slaves. Because this seemed so fun to me, I had set up a fine prison with tables, chairs, decoration and fancy carpets and a high standard medical ward for prisoners only. But now that slave traders no longer visit me, I feel so cruel when using my awesome prison and medical ward just to harvest organs. Just seems so cruel! :(

Therefore, my suggestion is to make a tweak to the slave traders: have them arrive randomly, just as the other ships, but make them (at a certain point) no longer sell slaves while still buying them!

keylocke

yea. that would be nice.

slave traders would just stop selling slaves once you've reached pop cap, but they'd still buy slaves.

Wex

Randy make them appear even when you hit 90 colonist (at least in alpha 7).
But the suggestion here is sound. +1 to you!
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

amul

Early slave trading feels much less useful to me now that they don't accept anything but silver and medkits.

mega

I have only played once, but I dont see any reason for slave traders at all. You will eventually recruit that guy at 7%, vs seeing slave traders randomly, and with high prices for people.

Dr. Z

But you will also eventually not recruit that guy on 7%, or get a guy at all. Slave trade is just money vs. time. Depends on what are you willing to pay.
Prasie the Squirrel!

amul

Quote from: mega on December 17, 2014, 12:04:56 AM
I have only played once, but I dont see any reason for slave traders at all. You will eventually recruit that guy at 7%, vs seeing slave traders randomly, and with high prices for people.

Or, if you take long enough, the prisoner will go crazy from cabin fever, and attack his surroundings and other prisoners or colonists until put down.

Wex

Quote from: amul on December 17, 2014, 02:12:52 AM
Quote from: mega on December 17, 2014, 12:04:56 AM

Or, if you take long enough, the prisoner will go crazy from cabin fever, and attack his surroundings and other prisoners or colonists until put down.
As long as you have a warden speaking to them, this won't happen.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

skullywag

This is one of the reasons i only play on randy. I dont like restriction.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

amul

Quote from: Wex on December 17, 2014, 03:02:18 AM
Quote from: amul on December 17, 2014, 02:12:52 AM

This has not been my experience. If I don't ship with at least a Social 7, then they consistently go crazy and I have to put them down.
As long as you have a warden speaking to them, this won't happen.

Ford_Prefect

Yeah.  That would be a nice addition to cassandra.  (Have slavers show up with empty holds.)

Mathenaut

I never liked the idea of slave traders not coming by in late game.  With no way to offload prisoners, the only thing to really do with them is harvest for organs.

keylocke

i think the chance to recruit for prisoners should also be reduced to 0% when players have reached pop cap, combined with slave traders stop selling prisoners even though they will still buy prisoner.

iame6162013

Quote from: keylocke on December 20, 2014, 12:50:55 AM
i think the chance to recruit for prisoners should also be reduced to 0% when players have reached pop cap, combined with slave traders stop selling prisoners even though they will still buy prisoner.
why have a population cap?
it's also fun with lot's of colonists
Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Safir

I agree that slave traders need to come around just as any other ship. I get that for storytelling and game balancing reasons the colonist number has a cap, even if I don't agree with it. But I feel that Cassandra should have an option that is "Cassandra Unlimited", that really unleashes her and enables larger colonies. Perhaps only a small check box for the storytellers that have those arbitrary boundaries.