Suggestion on Colony Structure, Death negative trait and Combat

Started by Summark, May 09, 2014, 11:17:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Summark

After several sleepless nights of playing Rimworld I am now even more excited at the prospect of this game to its full capacity!

My suggestions are as follows: An internal colony structure. The ability to stamp a colonist with a particular name/or task that then influences what they attribute to the colony. For example: a Leader. The colony leader would be the person with the highest social that the colony has. They may give a simple passive morale boost based upon their skill or perhaps could be assigned to perform a special action such as "Have morale boosting convo with X". My main concern right now is that the colony appears to be a hive mind more than a band of people struggling against the odds. The concept outlined could then be applied across a range of jobs, which ties in to my next suggestion. All colonists are horrified by killing someone or seeing a dead body. Perhaps there should be an "Assign colonist to Soldier/Militia profession. This may mean that they wouldnt be able to perform other tasks as effectively, since they would be on duty, but that upon killing someone or seeing a dead body they are perhaps half as negatively affected seeing as its effectively an occupational hazard to maybe have to kill someone. Im drawing these kinds of ideas from sci fi, Dune, the Star Wars books, Fallout and post apocalyptic films. Each colony present seems to have a structure. A shooting Range would also certainly be nice.

My main concern in combat is the lack of stopping power of weapons. Being knocked back further would add to the game. Currently I feel that units can shake bullets off far too easily. Maybe a walk more slowly if youre injured? Bleed out from a wound causing more than 50 damage without being knocked out? Some colonists naturally tougher others naturally weaker? 80hp/120?

Im loving the game so far though keep it coming!

wattybro13

I like the idea of some colonists being tougher than others. For example, if there was a soldier or a bodygaurd, they would have more hp than say, a pop star or empath.

ItchyFlea

I believe the trait system, when it's implemented, will cover some of this.
While the majority of traits do nothing at this stage of development, I have seen that the 'Tough' trait gives a colonist 150HP, and the 'Runner' trait makes them move faster than normal. Both of those traits, in my experience anyway, seem to be rare.
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

Coenmcj

Quote from: ItchyFlea on May 14, 2014, 10:34:21 PM
I believe the trait system, when it's implemented, will cover some of this.
While the majority of traits do nothing at this stage of development, I have seen that the 'Tough' trait gives a colonist 150HP, and the 'Runner' trait makes them move faster than normal. Both of those traits, in my experience anyway, seem to be rare.
I thought I was imagining myself when Tali the Engineer full on sprinted away from combat...
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

ITypedThis

I do believe that injured colonists already do move slower than uninjured ones.