Psychic Drone balance

Started by Crazytoast42, July 05, 2014, 12:34:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

Here's a way to counter the old psychic drone event.

Put your colonists in cryptosleep :D Pop them out when it's over.

Of course you'll need a few cryptosleep pods, but they're the easiest part of the ship to build.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

vagineer1

Quote from: Tynan on July 06, 2014, 10:15:50 AM

Of course you'll need a few cryptosleep pods, but they're the easiest part of the ship to build.

Do the Cryo Pods freeze your colonist's needs and mood for as long as they stay in them?
You see this tank?

This tank is the epitome of "I'm going to destroy you"

This tank can make Chuck norris cry.

All hail the Takemikazuchi.

Tynan

Quote from: vagineer1 on July 06, 2014, 10:20:49 AM

Do the Cryo Pods freeze your colonist's needs and mood for as long as they stay in them?

Of course, they're asleep!

vagineer1

Quote from: Tynan on July 06, 2014, 10:24:19 AM
Quote from: vagineer1 on July 06, 2014, 10:20:49 AM

Of course, they're asleep!

Imagine a bunker built into the side of a mountain. As you enter, you hear nothing apart from a low humming. Upon further exploration, you discover that there is no-one in the bunker. You enter a previously locked room and discover the source of the humming. 50 cryo pods, all full.
You see this tank?

StorymasterQ

Suggestion: Perhaps the psychic drone can affect colonists in different ways? So maybe some will get -15, some -5, while others could actually get a +5 and +15?

Maybe as a rare occurrence, a semi-random change to their skill passion? By semi-random I mean only a level up or down on at most 2 or 3 skills. So maybe an interested grower can go up to a passionate grower or something.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Tynan

Quote from: StorymasterQ on July 06, 2014, 09:47:08 PM
Suggestion: Perhaps the psychic drone can affect colonists in different ways? So maybe some will get -15, some -5, while others could actually get a +5 and +15?

Maybe as a rare occurrence, a semi-random change to their skill passion? By semi-random I mean only a level up or down on at most 2 or 3 skills. So maybe an interested grower can go up to a passionate grower or something.

You are correct. I'm planning on embedding this into traits, where people have different psychic sensitivities as well as different base moods.

StorymasterQ

Quote from: Tynan on July 06, 2014, 10:06:53 PM
Quote from: StorymasterQ on July 06, 2014, 09:47:08 PM

You are correct. I'm planning on embedding this into traits, where people have different psychic sensitivities as well as different base moods.

Yay! SO, are traits finally implemented in A6?
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

christhekiller

Just got hit by the psychic drone and it was too much. It seemed like an effect I could maybe work through but then I got hit by a solar flare and the almost constant darkness combined with the psychic drone effect was far too much and my colony crumbled.

BetaSpectre

Quote from: christhekiller on July 07, 2014, 04:19:30 AM
Just got hit by the psychic drone and it was too much. It seemed like an effect I could maybe work through but then I got hit by a solar flare and the almost constant darkness combined with the psychic drone effect was far too much and my colony crumbled.

Sometimes you gotta wonder if your colonists are the most wanted criminals on the planet/system. Every few days you get hit by hundreds of mercs most willing to lay down their lives to smite 4-5 people all fail consistently and only add to this colony's slave man power.
If that wasn't enough you keep getting hit by radiation and "eclipses" these rare events are a weekly occurance as if manufactured. Then kill bots rain from the sky intent on killing you and only you.

You'd have to call me crazy to not believe someone somewhere wants you dead BAD.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Telkir

I encountered the psychic drone twice so far in the colony I'm playing at the moment. Perhaps I was lucky (or Randy is being charitable), but they caused me very little trouble. Both of them together caused only one of the prisoners I was holding to rampage, and two of my colonists - one in each event - to feel a bit down in the dumps. I'd like to thank the power of plantpots, rosebeds, and fine meals for keeping people sane. :p

Even had more bad stuff happened, it's a cool effect - so I won't be updating! :D

vagineer1

Quote from: Telkir on July 07, 2014, 05:00:07 AM
I encountered the psychic drone twice so far in the colony I'm playing at the moment. Perhaps I was lucky (or Randy is being charitable), but they caused me very little trouble. Both of them together caused only one of the prisoners I was holding to rampage, and two of my colonists - one in each event - to feel a bit down in the dumps. I'd like to thank the power of plantpots, rosebeds, and fine meals for keeping people sane. :p

Even had more bad stuff happened, it's a cool effect - so I won't be updating! :D

When the event hits me I make everyone a member of the Holy Sh*t look at all those roses Club.
You see this tank?

Garen

its's interesting to see how you make ship components have other uses as well

im thinking 'is the psychic drone affecting the entire planet or just this area? if the former, then surely the factions will hate each other and thus me, more?

maybe that's a way you could balence it for now

psilous

My god that's brilliant

sparda666

not to poopoo on current ideas, but would it make sense to nerf the numbers in vanilla? -25 is worse than seeing corpses isnt it? Whats the lore of this psychic drone? some autonomous robot emitting waves that cause traumatic images in the colonists' minds?

Tynan

Quote from: sparda666 on July 07, 2014, 12:27:04 PM
Whats the lore of this psychic drone? some autonomous robot emitting waves that cause traumatic images in the colonists' minds?

Yes. And this event was disabled in Alpha5b.