Three Things I Think Rimworld Still Really Needs

Started by Sir_Aroun, August 22, 2015, 02:01:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir_Aroun

1. For Wealth and Reputation to raise the rate of Immigration. (and for you to be able to reject immigrates)
2. Ammo and Ammo crafting. (as well as a secondary weapon slot on Pawns)
3. Raiders to have goals.
List of possible goals:

• Supply Raid: go after and leave after getting x amount of whatever supply (food,  meds, metal, silver ect.)
  • Rescue Raid: go after and leave after a member of their faction you have imprisoned
  • Slave Raid: try to capture people and leave after geeing x amount of people, x amount of time, or unacceptable casualty
Bonus: things I would like.
1. special biomes (like a toxic wasteland or urban ruins)
2. biome specific and threatening weather

b0rsuk

1. This is a balance issue, Tynan wants the opposite. He wants colonies to stop growing at certain point. You start getting less escape pods and chased people.

2. Micromanagement nightmare. I don't see what good it could do except keeping Triggerhappy in check and limiting hunting abuse (hunt to keep shooting, not to hunt; just to train Shooting skill)

3. Goals would be nice, but it will need a lot of AI work, which is not easy. Raiders already target prisons. I'm not sure what happens if they destroy a wall, I never let them.

Toggle

1. Basically what b0rsuk said, there's a 'minimal' and 'maximum' softlock on your colonists, under minimal and it tries to give you more, over and it kills em easier.

2. Also basically what b0rsuk said, micromanagement, no thank you.

3. B0rsuk nailed all 3, goals are nice but AI work.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

FMJ Penguin

Wouldn't have an issue with seeing Ammo usage in some form. As long as it wasn't separate ammo "types". Separate types would just be hell to manage like the other guys mentioned.

Although, "your artillery can no longer fire because you ran out of ammunition" may add some good old Rimworld storyteller jerkyness to the game I guess. As if things weren't brutal enough.

Could take it or leave it I guess. "shrug"
Bits & bobs: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/buuxpswcu9rzh3o/AABlRN4f2E4UNfDY8a_RoA6Ea?dl=0 All open source so sell it to Adolf for a new pair of sneaks if you like.
"Curious.... How many credit hours does it take tell you can make a comment like that without laughing uncontrollably at yourself?"

akiceabear

I agree on the first point, although maintaining a happy, healthy and stable colony should become exponentially harder as it grows in size. More mechanics in the relationship area would help - i.e. risk of cliques etc. Otherwise much larger colonies don't feel all that much different than mid-size ones (10-20 pawns). That said, this is very much a preference issue, and perhaps also performance related, so you might want to tweak yourself rather than wait. Please share your mod when ready :)

For ammo I agree with others. It sounds like a tedious mechanic if manual, or a meaningless drain on CPU if automatic.

In general better AI would be nice. Before that I'd like to see a proliferation of event types, customized by biome/wealth level.

Toggle

Quote from: FMJ Penguin on August 22, 2015, 07:55:55 AM
Wouldn't have an issue with seeing Ammo usage in some form. As long as it wasn't separate ammo "types". Separate types would just be hell to manage like the other guys mentioned.

Although, "your artillery can no longer fire because you ran out of ammunition" may add some good old Rimworld storyteller jerkyness to the game I guess. As if things weren't brutal enough.

Could take it or leave it I guess. "shrug"

Artillery? So mortars, which do require ammo?

FMJ Penguin

Haha a guess they do don't they....  Shows you how much I use them :) But yeah ammo that covers all weapons in general I guess(shared across all weapons).  Nither sounds all that amazingly interesting to me know that I think about it. Heck maybe that's why I never bother with mortars .... To much of a headache? meh... donno
Bits & bobs: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/buuxpswcu9rzh3o/AABlRN4f2E4UNfDY8a_RoA6Ea?dl=0 All open source so sell it to Adolf for a new pair of sneaks if you like.
"Curious.... How many credit hours does it take tell you can make a comment like that without laughing uncontrollably at yourself?"

valkyrie

Ammo idea is a 50/50 to most, it would work if ammo was easy to make and you could make loads of it, but at the same idea you would need to rework the inventory system to make it work, like each pawn would have to have their own inventories. but at the same time that could create so much more. E.g they can carry a backpack, water bottles, food, medicine, ammo, arrows, rocks, you name it, it could expand the game into a new way.

but at the same time you will get so many people complaining that its then too hard to keep your people alive. or "waah" i dont want to have to micro manage because im lazy, and all that sort of drama.

im all ahead for ammo and inventory changes and just that more depth. but there are those out there who prefer it to be very simple.

at the end of the day if it came to a vote id say +1 for ammo and inventory.

Sir_Aroun

Why do people believe ammo to involve Micromanagement? It would not. They just pick ammo / fill turrets as needed and you many it as need, would be the same as any other consumable in the game. Also pawns already have a personal inventory. The only real big technical problem is having pawns be smart enough to switch weapons when needed. As for why, so melee wound be more useful and you could not just turtle forever behind turrets and firing lines.

As for the other points:

1. Wealth used do more harm then a good in rimworld, however looking over A12 that may no longer be the case. Also it be nice if have good relations with other group had more passive benefits.

2. Right now raids are not real raids, there just random attacks where you either "win" or die. It be nice if you could lose a raid without losing the game.

Toggle

Quote from: Sir_Aroun on August 22, 2015, 03:30:27 PM
2. Right now raids are not real raids, there just random attacks where you either "win" or die. It be nice if you could lose a raid without losing the game.

You lose the battle, you lose the war. But there's many other ways you can lose if you live, such as loosing colonists, your colony being destroyed, etc.

Sir_Aroun

true, but another question is why? Why are they attacking you?

Toggle

Quote from: Sir_Aroun on August 22, 2015, 03:45:24 PM
true, but another question is why? Why are they attacking you?

To make the game more interesting. Game balance and mechanics are more important then story.

Mikhail Reign

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on August 22, 2015, 03:36:06 PM
Quote from: Sir_Aroun on August 22, 2015, 03:30:27 PM

You lose the battle, you lose the war. But there's many other ways you can lose if you live, such as loosing colonists, your colony being destroyed, etc.

Yeah it would be nice is raids were actual raids, and not battles to the death over nothing. The only problem with giving the AI objective, is how easy it would be to break the AI. At the moment the AI just has to walk from the edge of the map, to the nearest pawn, and they don't always get that right. Now imagine if it had to figure out how to 'break prisoners out' if the prison doesnt have an exterior wall. Or how to  to raid a base for food, when say, the fridge was the middle room in a large complex (they would also need to organize a fighting withdrawal and cover them selves so it didn't just turn into a slaughter when they got some food, like how it does when they decided to take a prisoners and everyone stops fighting and runs how except for the one guy grabbing someones).