[Abandoned] 'upgrade' XML initialized value via research completion

Started by alaestor, August 20, 2016, 01:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alaestor

Topic locked, as I've given up on this method.

----
So the issue I'm having is with a Misc. Robots Xtension, where there is a <startingSkillLevel>number</> defined in xml but I'd like this to be upgraded upon research completion. I've seen some things about ResearchMod but I have issues with that for several reasons.

One being that the robots don't exist when they are in their base-stations, and are constantly being created and destroyed across saves. if a robot is in a base-station [deactivated] when the game is saved, in the next load the robot is re-created when activated and therefor that value will be gleamed from the original xml as the researchmod method doesn't modify the value in any persistent fashion, rather just changing the member value of existing objects, so a run-once on load wont affect it's stats.

Also, I can't compile or write the C# code required (both because I don't know C# and I refuse to install it's cancerous development environments && dependencies).

So, if there are any solutions out there or C# programmers who would be willing to help please throw me a reply
or add me on discord ( Alæstor#9218 - preferred)

If an option like this isnt easily implemented, then I'll likely default to the whole "low tier + resources = higher tier" method, however I dislike this as it includes a bunch of duplicate bots. Likely being skill sets 5, 10, 15, 20... maybe I can reduce that to three but still; it's not a desirable solution to upgrading skill levels.

Master Bucketsmith

You would require C# to get that done. I've had that idea as part of my vision on droids ever since I first saw MD2s droids and MAI (before MAI had those smaller droids).
Those MD2 droids and MAI were a type of colonist pawn or something, so their stuff saved across loading.

alaestor

I've pretty much given up. There isnt an easy way to do it with Robots and even a C# implementation will need to be tied into the Misc. Robots functions somehow, so I've abandoned all hope on that front.

I've decided to make 3 tiers or robots; basic with amateur skills (lvl4), intermediate with professional skills (lvl8), and advanced with master skills (lv13). That way my cooking bots can make simple meals at tier 1, fine at tier 2, and lavish at tier 3. Each tier using the previous tier of robot in it's construction, unlocked by research.

This method is less preferred but still minimized the race-duplication required.
RIP