Is it just me, or are there only 14 days in each month?

Started by Chibiabos, December 21, 2014, 10:34:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chibiabos

I've noticed several in-games months flip to the next month after reaching the 14th day of the month.  Is it supposed to be like that?
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

iame6162013

Quote from: Chibiabos on December 21, 2014, 10:34:47 AM
I've noticed several in-games months flip to the next month after reaching the 14th day of the month.  Is it supposed to be like that?
Yes it is.
Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

milon

JonoRig

I'm pretty sure it even says it's 14 days on the adaptive tutor

SubZeroBricks

Is there a place in the xml that lets you can change is it to around 30?
"The only time you have too much fuel on board is when you are on fire."

Darkshadow

I think that's just so you can play a game in a reasonable length of time, all games do it same reason a day is only a few minutes.  Besides the planet isn't earth so having a different length intervals isn't weird at all.

Dr. Z

I don't think this can be changed through xml because the whole seasons system with snowfall and tempratures and growing seasons dependes on this so I think this would be a rather large change.
Prasie the Squirrel!

Vas

I don't like that you can't choose longer months and such.  Seasons should be based on month, not an amount of days.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

Everteal

Quote from: Vas on December 25, 2014, 05:24:18 AM
I don't like that you can't choose longer months and such.  Seasons should be based on month, not an amount of days.

I was about to say that its not Earth....... but I'm currently living in Shanghai-China where seasons change by days or weeks, sometimes hours.
Happened on my first year here - its a +30c afternoon at the end of September. I'm wearing shorts and a t-shirt going for a few drinks with friends. A few hours later leaving the place its +5c and raining. This is common.

Goo Poni

Quote from: Everteal on December 26, 2014, 06:21:26 AM

I was about to say that its not Earth....... but I'm currently living in Shanghai-China where seasons change by days or weeks, sometimes hours.
Happened on my first year here - its a +30c afternoon at the end of September. I'm wearing shorts and a t-shirt going for a few drinks with friends. A few hours later leaving the place its +5c and raining. This is common.

Welcome to London where grim overbearing clouds will threaten to flood the streets for a few minutes with an absurd downpour of rain, only for the sun to be out and shining in 20 minutes time as if it were sunny all day long.

harpo99999

this 'london' sounds like a slow version of 'melbourne' (they usually get at least FOUR seasons a DAY even in winter)

Tynan

The 14 day thing is really for game balance. The year just cycles too slowly if you let the months be 30 days. The fact that it's not Earth provides another nice excuse for this.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

SubZeroBricks

Quote from: Tynan on December 27, 2014, 05:59:06 PM
The 14 day thing is really for game balance. The year just cycles too slowly if you let the months be 30 days. The fact that it's not Earth provides another nice excuse for this.

I sometimes feel as though my spring-summer-autumn-winter cycle isnt long enough.

So it would be nice to be able to change it.

For a challenge you could even go crazy and have 300 day months for that long never ending hell winter effect.
"The only time you have too much fuel on board is when you are on fire."

putsam

Quote from: Goo Poni on December 26, 2014, 06:45:20 AM
Quote from: Everteal on December 26, 2014, 06:21:26 AM

Welcome to London where grim overbearing clouds will threaten to flood the streets for a few minutes with an absurd downpour of rain, only for the sun to be out and shining in 20 minutes time as if it were sunny all day long.

In Seattle we have only one season that represents the flooding week in Houston or the early rainy dead and dreary fall days back in Toronto.

Chibiabos

Quote from: putsam on December 27, 2014, 10:54:34 PM
Quote from: Goo Poni on December 26, 2014, 06:45:20 AM
In Seattle we have only one season that represents the flooding week in Houston or the early rainy dead and dreary fall days back in Toronto.

I'm from the Seattle area, and I've lived in Houston.  Recordbreaking rainfalls in Seattle, in the 2 to 3 inch range over a 24 hour period, would scarcely register in Houston.  I was living in the Houston area during Tropical Storm Allison back in 2001, in which 40 to 50 /inches of rain/ fell in a 24 hour period.  Seattle may have more rainy days, but when it rains in Houston, it really doesn't mess around.
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!