No cats?

Started by falcongrey, August 24, 2015, 08:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

falcongrey

Maybe I missed it or just never encountered it but... are there only domestic live stock type animals and dogs (and dog types) in the game? No house cats or large cats?

:-\
It matters not if we win or fail. It's that we stood and faced it.

Toggle

Yeah, there's no cats, and currently only three dogs really I think (The lab, wargs, and the yorks). Someone might be modding them though...
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Mr.Cross

No, Your correct. There are no cats in vanilla rimworld. I saw rumors of a cat mod being discussed here: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=15385.0

And more dog breeds here: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=15344.0

So if any are interested in helping with either of these mods go there and ask to help.
Claims to know most things.

falcongrey

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on August 24, 2015, 08:54:00 PM
Yeah, there's no cats, and currently only three dogs really I think (The lab, wargs, and the yorks). Someone might be modding them though...

Sad... Cats are like so vital to the environment. Not to mention, cats are SO loving and can be SO protective of a household. People don't realize how quickly a tiny little house cat can be deadly until they have been attacked by one before. Had one nearly kill me once in under 30 seconds before I got it off me.  Tore out the back of my knee and the back of my hand and wrist. By the time I got to the doctors, I was nearly passing out and you could see the tendons in my hand and arm as well as the artery in the back of the knee was exposed. Was told by the doctor (as he patched me up) had the cat severed that, I would have bled out in under 5 minutes. But he went on to explain, what makes cat attacks deadlier than dogs is cat bites carry so much bacteria in them that if you don't get treatment immediately after a serious bite, you will go into shock then die from septic shock.  After 15 minutes I was already sick and couldn't walk or even focus my eyes. Was told that was the onset of Septic Shock. In less than 30 more minutes I was told I would have fallen unconscious from it then within 24 hours I would be died as the bacteria ate me from the inside out. Only a human bite I was told was worse than a cat when it came to animals.

Dog bites, their saliva contains an antibiotic property and blood coagulant that helps prevent bleeding. Granted they can do more damage from the bite, a cat can also do significant damage with biting and claws combined and some house cats can get up to  30 to 40 pounds and simply be massive, not fat. (had one that was 32lbs and his brother was 28lbs, all muscle)

magicbush

I don't like cats so I don't mind :P. The only reason I tolerate them is because of the fact they hunt and kill mice, and my moms cat when I go to my parents house acts like a dog lol(let's me pet it on the stomach, fetches, comes to it's name, it's really wierd as I have had a lot of cats in my life growing up and never seen one act that way). Also I find falcongrey's post odd as I cannot count how many times I have been scratched or bitten(close to the bone once, and needless to say that attack ended badly for the cat :() and never had issues or had to go to a doctor.

Toggle

Quote from: Mr.Cross on August 24, 2015, 08:55:47 PM
No, Your correct. There are no cats in vanilla rimworld. I saw rumors of a cat mod being discussed here: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=15385.0

So if any are interested in helping with either of these mods go there and ask to help.

Ah, didn't know if he released the information to the public. Yeah he was talkin bout it in the slack which is why I said 'someone might be modding it'.

falcongrey

Yea, my Angel (cat) is an odd Guard Cat. She will attack strangers that enter without me. She loves to have her tummy petted. Comes when called by name. And fetches. I found that some breads of cats are like that. Mine is a Maincoon.

Songleaves

Quote from: falcongrey on August 24, 2015, 09:06:13 PMNot to mention, cats are SO loving and can be SO protective of a household.

Case in point, here's tara the cat saving a kid from a dog.

Quote from: falcongrey on August 24, 2015, 09:06:13 PMPeople don't realize how quickly a tiny little house cat can be deadly until they have been attacked by one before. Had one nearly kill me once in under 30 seconds before I got it off me. 

Hahaha, yeah. I've dealt a lot with feral cats, once had a cat bite through the thick, leather, animal handling glove of a person I was partnered with. When animals go wild they can be pretty scary.

Toggle

How... does a cat almost kill you?

StorymasterQ

Cats are assholes. What we need more are pigs. As Churchill said:

"Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Cimanyd

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on August 24, 2015, 08:54:00 PM
Yeah, there's no cats, and currently only three dogs really I think (The lab, wargs, and the yorks).

There are also huskies (spelling?), so four dogs if you count wargs.
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

JesterBlue

Cat too OP for this game, people will start complain about them. Not to mention cat are 3 dimensionals creature.

Songleaves

I agree about them being too 3 dimensional Jester, Tynan and co wouldn't want to devote the resources to developing an AI that could capture the essence of a cat. Really accurate simulation would probably just confuse the users anyways "Is this a bug? Cat keeps sleeping on cook stove even though a nice animal bed is nearby", "Help! Cat keeps scratching colonists when they attempt the rub pet belly joy activity!".

Fluffy (l2032)

Quote from: Songleaves on August 25, 2015, 01:31:52 AM
I agree about them being too 3 dimensional Jester, Tynan and co wouldn't want to devote the resources to developing an AI that could capture the essence of a cat. Really accurate simulation would probably just confuse the users anyways "Is this a bug? Cat keeps sleeping on cook stove even though a nice animal bed is nearby", "Help! Cat keeps scratching colonists when they attempt the rub pet belly joy activity!".

While I fully agree that cats cannot accurately be modeled, and their behaviour in game would always be a pale likeness of their real-life mystery, I nevertheless am undertaking an effort to mod cats into the game. I feel having cats in game, even if they are just glorified squirrels, is better than a game spent without cats.

Quote from: Mr.Cross on August 24, 2015, 08:55:47 PM

Yeap, that's me. I'm getting into mod making in my spare time, for now it'll basically just be re-skinned dogs. I plan on adding a number of domestic cats first, some more exotic wildlife cats later, as well as catfood (I might feel magnanimous and also allow dogs to eat that. Probably won't have much choice in the matter anyway).

Stretch goal is to include some custom interactions, would love to see cats chase squirrels and other small wildlife, and claim workbenches by falling asleep on them, for instance. I have barely begun modding though, and this will likely involve more than just a few xml copy/pastes, so don't hold your breath on these. That is if they're even possible, I havent looked into it yet.

BugPowderDust

If our cat is anything to go by, AI for a cat would be easy

If cat is not asleep, then cat is licking itself.
If cat is not licking itself, then cat is asleep.