Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madman666

Quote from: jamaicancastle on June 30, 2018, 06:02:14 AM
Regarding factions: the constant faction decay makes them feel not worth pursuing, at least to me. I would much rather they decay when you ask them to do stuff. I also feel like there needs to be some threshold or diminishing return when gifting stuff. Gifting vast quantities of generic stuff, though the numbers check out, feels rather off.

In particular, this sounds like something that legendary items and one-off quest rewards like artifacts could be useful for. There's no effective way of mass-producing them, so they can be much more rewarding and meaningful gifts without the feeling that you're buying a whole faction's loyalty with 10,000 rice.

I agree that decay kind of robs the fun in trying to get allies, however i disagree about gifts. Of course i know that 10k rice is just an example, but it is a crapton, you feed a decently sized city for a year with that. I hate diminishing returns in games... Its the worst concept ever. It basically be the same it was in alphas - you buy relations with something, each next purchase gets more expensive. Only you won't be using silver, but rather other items like said rice.

And who would ever give up a legendary item, when you have to get extremely lucky (and i mean lucky, not skilled) to get one?

drunetovich

I keep seeing people and animals die to a rather minor injuries, is this a bug or i just don't understand some new underlying health systems?

I this example enemy died from single bruise to the torso.
No destroyed organs, no blood loss, no missing body parts.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Madman666

Quote from: drunetovich on June 30, 2018, 06:16:48 AM
I keep seeing people and animals die to rather minor injuries, is this a bug or i just don't understand some underlying health systems?

Its because of death\down check this game has. Every time some pawn that is not from your colony gets downed it has 66% (well now its more than that) to just die outright, even though it should be just KOd instead and their systems still functional.

drunetovich

Quote from: Madman666 on June 30, 2018, 06:20:43 AM
Its because of death\down check this game has. Every time some pawn that is not from your colony gets downed it has 66% (well now its more than that) to just die outright, even though it should be just KOd instead and their systems still functional.

Ah, that explains it, thanks!

ChJees

This is weird. Joseph is still counted as a slave after i rescued her from a quest.

Relationship tab
Joseph herself

Madman666

Quote from: drunetovich on June 30, 2018, 06:25:51 AM
Ah, that explains it, thanks!

No prob :)

Quote from: ChJees on June 30, 2018, 06:26:09 AM
This is weird. Joseph is still counted as a slave after i rescued her from a quest.

Hey, what are those white hexagonal floors in your screens?

ChJees

Quote from: Madman666 on June 30, 2018, 06:33:09 AM
Quote from: ChJees on June 30, 2018, 06:26:09 AM

Hey, what are those white hexagonal floors in your screens?

Neo-concrete floor from Orassans.

Madman666

Ah so its from Diana's cat people mod! Thanks =)

krizs

Hello there,

Regarding treating infections, apparently your tending lasts longer than the soonest moment that you can tend the infection again.

The tooltip doesn't explain though, what you should be doing in this situation.

Does it help to fight the infection better if you tend it again as soon as possible (which is what my priority 1 doctor wants to do) or does that mean I'm losing 3 hours of good QL tending and risking tending it in a lower quality?

I got lucky with herbal medicine and my lvl4 medicine pawn tending our captured raider's infection with 61% quality, so I'm kind of lost as to forbid tending her till the current tending expires, or let the AI proceed with tending even though I still have 3 hours left from the last one.

I like the fact that I don't have to wake up the doctor in the middle of the night because an infection just got tendable again, but I'm just not sure as to the implications on waiting or tending straight away.

Cheers and keep up the good work!

[attachment deleted due to age]

ChJees

Found another unintended bug\feature. If you got Automatic rebuild on and something is destroyed (in this case a drop pod crashing onto it) on a bridge a blueprint is placed there anyway despite it could not be supported.

Conduit blueprint on water. (And no this is not a waterproof conduit)

Ambaire

When and why was that chance added in the first place? Seems dumb... Is there a way to mod it to 0%?

Boboid

Quote from: Ambaire on June 30, 2018, 07:48:27 AM

When and why was that chance added in the first place? Seems dumb... Is there a way to mod it to 0%?

That mechanic has been in the game for... I want to say at least 4 years? Quite possibly more. I've certainly never played a version of rimworld without it.
The reason is insofar as I'm aware to reduce the number of raiders that are can be captured alive, for various reasons.

It means you've got fewer pawns to choose from, get less equipment, and can't rescue every single raider, practice medicine/social on them and then release them for reputation.

It also incidentally reduces the player's obligation to try and save every single raider and attempt to recruit them.

Frankly most of the game is very much balanced around that one core mechanic.

You probably could mod it to 0% but I suspect after two raids your game would spiral out of control one way or another.
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

Ambaire

Quote from: Boboid on June 30, 2018, 07:54:39 AMIt also incidentally reduces the player's obligation to try and save every single raider and attempt to recruit them.
Eh, I suppose. I've just thought it's a bit weird. I'd prefer a system where a wound has a chance to be instantly fatal (is there such a system already?)

QuoteYou probably could mod it to 0% but I suspect after two raids your game would spiral out of control one way or another.
How so? You don't have to capture every single one. It's really more of a time saving measure than anything else, otherwise you have to wait for them to bleed to death or hurry it up manually.

I'd like to see tranquilizer rounds or knockout darts specifically for capture purposes.

Madman666

There s plenty of mods introducing non-lethal weapons, most of them have to update though. Of course you don't have any obligation to capture every single guy you down, but balance will fly out of the window if you could capture every single downed pawn. As @Boboid said, that way you could easily overgrind faction relations, by quickly patching up and releasing every raider that came, which would make diplomacy trivial. Plus you would have your pick at best potential recruits every single time and that would go against game's cute policy of sticking you with most awful colonists the game can cook up. Plus you could make endless fortunes just harvesting every raider you didn't like enough to recruit, which would also throw balance off.

Also combat can be pretty lethal - shots\hits can cause brain damage, destroy organs like heart, liver etc. But that happens rather rare, mostly to player's own colonists for some weird reason.

Boboid

Quote from: Ambaire on June 30, 2018, 07:59:04 AM
Quote from: Boboid on June 30, 2018, 07:54:39 AMIt also incidentally reduces the player's obligation to try and save every single raider and attempt to recruit them.
Eh, I suppose. I've just thought it's a bit weird. I'd prefer a system where a wound has a chance to be instantly fatal (is there such a system already?)

QuoteYou probably could mod it to 0% but I suspect after two raids your game would spiral out of control one way or another.
How so? You don't have to capture every single one. It's really more of a time saving measure than anything else, otherwise you have to wait for them to bleed to death or hurry it up manually.

I'd like to see tranquilizer rounds or knockout darts specifically for capture purposes.

Forgive me for saying this but... the current system is exactly what you're suggesting you'd prefer...
The only difference is each time someone is downed it has a chance to be fatal.

Your suggested system would lead to.. well... your colonists spontaneously dying because their finger was chewed on by a rabbit.
---
Let me start all over again.
Every time a non-player human pawn is Downed (Incapacitated, wounded to the point where they can't stand due to pain or lack of legs ect) they have a chance to die outright irrespective of how lethal those wounds were.
For example if someone has both their legs blown off by a grenade they haven't technically received a fatal wound, and indeed your pawns would always survive. Albeit with no legs. Non-player pawns however have a chance to outright die.
---
As to why it's a bad idea to mod the system down to zero well..
You'd obtain 100% of the equipment carried by raiders in an un-tainted state which completely nullifies the entire tainted equipment system which itself is part of what keeps player based crafting relevant. And also what helps keep raids from bloating your wealth.

You would also be able to recruit 100% of the downed pawns assuming you could keep them alive.. this would lead to massive population and wealth bloat that the game simply isn't designed to handle. If I have a colony of 4 people and 3 people raid me, and I save them all, I then have 7 people.. the next raid might be 4 people or 12 depending on the resulting wealth increase and in either case if I win yet again I go from 7 to either 11 or 19 people.

On the other side of the equation there's people (like myself) who might want to only recruit the absolute cream of the crop. Industrious, super immune, cannibals for example.
Given the huge increase in the availability of potential recruits I could comparatively easily fill my colony with exceptionally efficient pawns with no downsides.

These reasons (and more besides) have quite a lot of mechanical implications but arguably more importantly is that the theoretical game I've described doesn't really tell very good stories, which is one of Tynan's goals in any given rimworld playthrough.

"I exponentially increased my colony size until my CPU gave out because the game isn't designed to run on such scales" isn't exactly a great story :P
Nor is "I only play with tough, beautiful, psychopaths because that's the most efficient pawn type"

As Madman said you can certainly employ one of the many non-lethal-weapon mods.
See how you go, you might totally disagree with me and put to shame to the expression " Too much of a good thing " :P
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever