Steam

Started by oldskoolsouljaz, July 14, 2014, 02:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldskoolsouljaz

Any Idea when this will be available on steam?

Jones-250

"When it's done (tm) "
Skill,
  Cohesion
      and a Forward spirit.

Pirx Danford

I believe Tynan commented that when he feels enough stable content is finished he will look into pushing it on Steam, but as releasing it on there too early would create bad impressions it would bring more harm than good.
Not sure if there are any numbers to back it up, but I believe the concept of early access is not working out so well on Steam.

Shinzy

Quote from: Pirx Danford on July 16, 2014, 05:17:29 AM
I believe Tynan commented that when he feels enough stable content is finished he will look into pushing it on Steam, but as releasing it on there too early would create bad impressions it would bring more harm than good.
Not sure if there are any numbers to back it up, but I believe the concept of early access is not working out so well on Steam.

I don't like the concept of early access but I think they're doing really well with it
90% of the games I have on my wishlist / get to buy / see on sale are all early access. So there's definately money being made, they're really really in your face all the time and people often buy what's on their face =P

TKS

Updates would also be seemless which is a big bonus.

ccrunner17

I am also waiting on Steam release. I understand wanting to have a lot of content as releasing on steam will bring in a lot of new ppl. I prefer to not use paypal and I like having all my games in one place. (Im not worried about Steam yanking all my games for DRM reasons) Until then its waiting and watching LPs on youtube. I am hoping to see Rimworld on Steam in 2014. We shall see though.
Cheers

Tynan

Quote from: TKS on July 16, 2014, 09:16:38 AM
Updates would also be seemless which is a big bonus.

Steam provides no good automatic way to allow playing on older versions. Since our updates consistently break save compatibility (because they're usually large changes to the structure of the game and/or adding and removing game objects), this would mean your saves would just break and you'd have no way to prevent it or go back and finish them.

It's not necessarily the best system for a game in this stage of development.

So there's that, plus I want the game to be good and ready quality-wise for the larger Steam audience. There's no date on Steam release. Though we are looking at making an auto-updater that would take the pain out of updating manually, and handle the ability to play older versions with your older saves if you wish.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

_alphaBeta_

Quote from: Tynan on July 16, 2014, 04:10:25 PM
Steam provides no good automatic way to allow playing on older versions.

This is my biggest complaint with Steam, even with a finished non-early-access game. I know the selling point is seamless updating and the fact that developers can "push" their players to a certain version to simplify support to a certain degree. That's all well and good, but there should be an override where more advanced/curious players can still access the older versions.

Tynan

I was kind of shocked when I found out they don't support version selection at all.

ccrunner17

Its not supported but what you can do is save all the game files in another location (so steam wont update those files) and then launch the "old" version .exe from that location. Its not ideal at all but I have used it for some games.

Tynan

Quote from: ccrunner17 on July 16, 2014, 04:46:09 PM
Its not supported but what you can do is save all the game files in another location (so steam wont update those files) and then launch the "old" version .exe from that location. Its not ideal at all but I have used it for some games.

Indeed, but I can't ask the great bulk of players to do that.

Deux

For me it doesn't  bother me losing games as new versions come out, I went through it with starbound,wasteland 2 starpoint gemini 2 beast of prey etc etc, I enjoy starting new games as new features are released,I mean isn't that the point of early release is to get the most ppl playing and polling people for changes and bugs,and I think that's where releasing on steam helps as it draws in a huge player base. For me I HATE paypal, so as much as I want this game I can wait until it's released on steam. But keep up the great work!

Tynan

I'm looking at getting another payment solution online actually, so hopefully that'll be live within a few days. There are ways besides Steam and PayPal!

Deux

Tynan if you had another way besides paypal I'd buy the game in a second flat!

Mikhail Reign